I finally got to do a real test and compare between a CanAm style trike vs a typical trike.
I was interviewed on live radio for 4 hours in the last two weeks talking about trikes and motorcycles etc. The DJ has a Hannigan trike and I have a couple wheels forward trikes that I built as prototypes. Unfortunately he could not test drive as he lost a leg due to diabetes and need an electric shift.
He let me take his for a good long "test beating" His kit is fully stock, 20psi rear tires 34psi bias on the front - no trail kit so it's running 30 degrees of caster. 2000 GL1500

First impression was more related to base bike as it has such a large faring area and the screen was up so I had to look through not over.
But I quickly acclimated to the motorcycle differences and charged on.
Initial impression was this is something you drive not ride as I felt more like I was in a convertible than on a motorcycle. The ride was good and at highway speeds of 70-75 very smooth and stable. In town bumps and cracks in the pavement caused the front to waddle and handlebars wiggle.
at all speed small quick handle bar movements caused quick and slightly scary directional changes. (very quick yawl rate)
Steering was tough and required constant physical effort even on slight sweepers. Low speed sharp turns would cause a full steering lock if I turned too sharp, this only happened during very slow U turns. Stability in the corners was very good and I never felt like I would tip or loose control. Driving around town was work as the steering was fighting me all the way.

Now the comparisons.
We rode off to another town for lunch and he on his and me on my converted GL1500 Valkyrie.

Again different bikes different farings so that part had to be eliminated as it is just personal opinion and not a comparison of handling or drivability.
But with the wheels upfront I once again felt more like I was riding a motorcycle and less like I was steering a car. The standard trike turns much sharper pulling out of a parking spot than my bikes so that is one plus for them. Once moving the differences really piled up. Light steering to the point I can turn and maneuver around town with just a few fingers of one hand - impossible on the other trike. While the other trike rode very smooth the front was greatly affected by bumps and road irregularities. My RT is cloud soft and road bumps and dips have no affect on handlebar movement nor can you really feel most of them as the tires set to 17psi and coil over shock absorb all but the very large bumps. At highway speeds both ride very smooth and stable. Same with cornering but here again I could easily go one handed but the hannigan required both hands and then some. Both bikes had good brakes so stopping was a tie. The wheels forward defiantly offers a sporty type of ride which is more motorcycle like and this is somewhat missing on the standard trike although this is just my opinion and certainly not a cut against and alternate choice.

I am grateful he let me take the ride as I was gone quite a while but really checked it out well. I am going to do a trail kit for him (labor free) as his bike really needs one. This would even up the comparisons greatly.
In general I have my preferences but both designs have a place and both offer "similar" experience.
In some ways it's like comparing Ford to Chevy - It has more to do with personal expectation than actual fact.