Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Rev counter

Road Rider
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rev counter

I want to fit a tacho to my trike, i bought one from Ebay but could not get it to work, there were only three wire live & ground plus a green one that i thought would go to the electronic ignition to pick up the pulses......but no.

I want a small one not a big thing stuck up front....any suggeations (apart from not fitting one )

User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

here is the diagram from mine
    tach.jpg

See how I have it connected on this diagram (right side of the diagram on the coil)
    trike_3.jpg

3. Likes stinger608 - liked this post
    Road Rider
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

That was how mine was connected but it didn't work, may have been faulty i suppose. Thanks for the diagrams they are always useful.

5. Likes stinger608 - liked this post
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rev Counter

You might check Trail Tech. I have their speedometer. It's a small magnet unit, easy to install and mounts any where and a really good price with good service folks. My unit is the cheapest of the 4 units they make and provides the least amount of info, and it is still more than I need or use. Mine is about a year old and works very well.
    Thanks for your time,

User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always kept mine simple. Red wire to the (+) side of the coil, Green wire to the (-) side of the coil. Third wire is usually either a positive for the light or a ground wire as you indicate yours is. (If third wire is a ground then light positive power is pulled internally from the Red wire). A fourth wire would be required to make the light dimmable.

Generally the red wire feeds the 12v positive (+) input and the green wire will feed pulsing negative (-) input so traditional tachs would work off just those two feeds. Wires beyond thos two were for light(s) or additional functions.

Road Rider
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loner View Post
    I've always kept mine simple. Red wire to the (+) side of the coil, Green wire to the (-) side of the coil. Third wire is usually either a positive for the light or a ground wire as you indicate yours is. (If third wire is a ground then light positive power is pulled internally from the Red wire). A fourth wire would be required to make the light dimmable.

Generally the red wire feeds the 12v positive (+) input and the green wire will feed pulsing negative (-) input so traditional tachs would work off just those two feeds. Wires beyond thos two were for light(s) or additional functions.
    Bit slow with the reply as i have swapped to a Mac and havr had a bit of a learning curve lol.
    I did have it wired the way you describe but it did not work. I sent it back and got a refund. I have however got the engine running as sweet as a nut, ticks over like a baby, pickup is clean and sharp. I just need to get it taxed at the end of this month ( a UK formality otherwise known as a royal rip off)

9. Likes stinger608 - liked this post
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefxr View Post
    Bit slow with the reply as i have swapped to a Mac and havr had a bit of a learning curve lol. I did have it wired the way you describe but it did not work. I sent it back and got a refund. I have however got the engine running as sweet as a nut, ticks over like a baby, pickup is clean and sharp. I just need to get it taxed at the end of this month ( a UK formality otherwise known as a royal rip off)
    Hey! someone has to pay for the Royal Baby's up-bringing......
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2017 M8 Tri-Glide.....

11. Likes stinger608 - liked this post
    Road Rider
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy why me !

User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefxr View Post
    Buy why me !
    I feel for you.... We [USA] almost had our own Royal family from Massachusetts, But Alcohol among other demons was their uncrowning.....
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2017 M8 Tri-Glide.....

14. Likes stinger608 - liked this post