Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    100+ Post Club
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gasoline smell from freewheeler

Yesterday when I got home from a short 35 mi ride I parked in the garage as usual in the evening, and the next morning strong smell of gas in the garage. It had sat for 7-8 days before I rode. Only had 60 mi left on gas gauge when I got back home. It had gone up to 70mph but not for extended period. Any ideas?

2. Love Jugs
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Apples to Oranges But with my Tri-Glide when I'm down to 35 miles i'll sometimes get a slight gas odor been that way since 2011...And believe it or not' Sometimes its the brand of gas, We have a off brand of gas a few miles from here and when my wife fills up there [50c a gal less] I will notice the odor when she parks in the garage...I don't notice it with Exxon.
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2017 M8 Tri-Glide.....

4. Likes thomastrike - liked this post
    100+ Post Club
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thomastrike

Quote Originally Posted by rhino 2 View Post
    Apples to Oranges But with my Tri-Glide when I'm down to 35 miles i'll sometimes get a slight gas odor been that way since 2011...And believe it or not' Sometimes its the brand of gas, We have a off brand of gas a few miles from here and when my wife fills up there [50c a gal less] I will notice the odor when she parks in the garage...I don't notice it with Exxon.
    Funny you should mention brands of gas. The free was running just fine today, about 30 mi... I can understand the 50c difference. I try to use high octane with no ethanol , when I get the opportunity. Thanks for the input.

User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomastrike View Post
    Yesterday when I got home from a short 35 mi ride I parked in the garage as usual in the evening, and the next morning strong smell of gas in the garage. It had sat for 7-8 days before I rode. Only had 60 mi left on gas gauge when I got back home. It had gone up to 70mph but not for extended period. Any ideas?
    Funny you should mention this...my 15 Freewheeler when parked after running any length of time will emit a gas odor. I was guessing from the heat of the motor directly under the tank. If you put your hand on the lower part it's very warm. Figured it was the ventilation from the gas cap. My son would always say when entering the house from the garage...Dad you rode your bike I can smell it

7. Likes thomastrike - liked this post
    100+ Post Club
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thomastrike

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Three View Post
    Funny you should mention this...my 15 Freewheeler when parked after running any length of time will emit a gas odor. I was guessing from the heat of the motor directly under the tank. If you put your hand on the lower part it's very warm. Figured it was the ventilation from the gas cap. My son would always say when entering the house from the garage...Dad you rode your bike I can smell it
    Thanks for mentioning the part about the hand under the tank. When I think back, I did happen to slip my hand under the tank looking for a liquid type feeling. It had been sitting for a few minutes and it was warm. Thanks to the both of you for your input. Going to IMS in Dallas Saturday.

9. Likes Gone2Three - liked this post
  10. Love Jugs
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

IMS should be fun.. I haven't been in years. My son and I have gone a few times over the years but timing just hasn't been there the last few. I always enjoy drooling.....
    Jerry "Gold Rush" (aka: "SPOOK") San Angelo, TX
    2015 GL1800/Roadsmith HTS1800
    TOI - IBA #23804 (SS1K & BB1.5K)
    I'm like an old race horse..... I can still run the race -- Just ache more at the finish line and need more rest between outings.

100+ Post Club
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thomastrike

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Rush View Post
    IMS should be fun.. I haven't been in years. My son and I have gone a few times over the years but timing just hasn't been there the last few. I always enjoy drooling.....
    Yes, I am pretty sure it will be a guys only affair around here. I just tell her that if I need parts etc that they are usually discounted at the show. Seems to work ok.

User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomastrike View Post
    Yes, I am pretty sure it will be a guys only affair around here. I just tell her that if I need parts etc that they are usually discounted at the show. Seems to work ok.
    Take pictures for us guy's that have to work all weekend enjoy the show

14. Likes Jack Klarich - liked this post
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

EPA At it again, be thankful u do not have a charcoal canister mandated by Ca law
    c canister.jpg
    Last edited by Jack Klarich; 01-14-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride", {Sober 29 years}
    Current ride : 17 M8, Power Vision tuner, DK Customs air cleaner, modified by me head breather and vent with filter and drain, Gutted stock mufflers, RJS Originals rear wheel discs , RJS Originals custom windshield lower panel, RJS Originals frame heat shields

16. Likes thomastrike - liked this post
  17. Love Jugs
    User ID
    Post Thanks / Like

pinched return line
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride", {Sober 29 years}
    Current ride : 17 M8, Power Vision tuner, DK Customs air cleaner, modified by me head breather and vent with filter and drain, Gutted stock mufflers, RJS Originals rear wheel discs , RJS Originals custom windshield lower panel, RJS Originals frame heat shields

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast