PDA

View Full Version : JUST KNIVES

Pages : [1] 2 3

BillR
01-23-2020, 01:12 AM
Starting a new thread to keep all the new knife posts together and not clutter up the Late Night thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Scott got my interest in Buck knives rekindled so I acquired a few new (old) ones. Top is a 110, middle is a 112 and the bottom is an 055 (supposed to be a half size 110).

consitter
01-23-2020, 01:54 AM
Good looking knives, Bill!

Iíll post the video over here from the late night thread.

consitter
01-23-2020, 01:56 AM
Here it is...my Buck 112 Auto Elite...NOT a professional video by any means...:laugh:

https://youtu.be/cy4LfyPelYY

consitter
01-23-2020, 02:05 AM
Now hereís pics of my 112 auto elite on top and the 112 ranger below it.

hogcowboy
01-23-2020, 02:25 AM
Isn't that called a switch blade and therefore illegal. At least in most states. Or does the word "auto" or automatic get around the switch blade laws. I thought the words spring assist got around the switch blade laws but this is quite spring assisted.:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

consitter
01-23-2020, 02:34 AM
Isn't that called a switch blade and therefore illegal. At least in most states. Or does the word "auto" or automatic get around the switch blade laws. I thought the words spring assist got around the switch blade laws but this is quite spring assisted.:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

Law enforcement and first responders can own them. You have to have valid credentials to buy one.

1dn5up
01-23-2020, 06:13 AM
Law enforcement and first responders can own them. You have to have valid credentials to buy one.

Got to wait till February, shot my load on January toys :Shrug: for the 112.

1dn5up
01-23-2020, 08:46 AM
Here it is...my Buck 112 Auto Elite...NOT a professional video by any means...:laugh:

https://youtu.be/cy4LfyPelYY

Reminds me of the kid locking himself in a closet with a bag of chips so he doesnít have to share :D

consitter
01-23-2020, 08:50 AM
To any that care...here is the state by state legality of switchblade knives. Lucky that I live in a very free 2nd amendment state.

http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/us-switchblade-laws

1dn5up
01-23-2020, 08:57 AM
To any that care...here is the state by state legality of switchblade knives. Lucky that I live in a very free 2nd amendment state.

http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/us-switchblade-laws

NY states that they are NOT to be used for self defense . But it’s ok to shoot :Shrug:. In any life or death situation , I’ll deal with the conciquences later.

As Bob said ; “ Cary a BIG STICK ! Poke , don’t swing it.

consitter
01-23-2020, 09:21 AM
Bought a distressed leather case for my 112 auto. Itís nice and soft, and I think a good looking sheath.

consitter
01-23-2020, 09:31 AM
NY states that they are NOT to be used for self defense . But it’s ok to shoot :Shrug:. In any life or death situation , I’ll deal with the conciquences later.

As Bob said ; “ Cary a BIG STICK ! Poke , don’t swing it.

That’s how I feel. I’ll be driving through several states (including yours) that aren’t friendly to knives or guns in late summer. I’ll be taking my chances with both concealed on my side. But the fact I’m a federal LEO should help matters a little.

1dn5up
01-23-2020, 08:50 PM
Got a nice surprise in the mail a day earlier than expected . :clapping: Smooth , and quality item.

Need to get some Needsfoot oil for the sheath. Will definitely get the 112 in February.

And yes , you CAN shave with it !

BillR
01-23-2020, 08:55 PM
Way to go, Frank. Another nice one.

What's the procedure for the Neetsfoot oil? Inside and out, or outside only?

1dn5up
01-23-2020, 09:05 PM
Way to go, Frank. Another nice one.

What's the procedure for the Neetsfoot oil? Inside and out, or outside only?

Both , then insert the weapon and it will form to it. When doing Gun holsters , wet the leather , then insert the gun mold and let it dry. Then oil just to keep it from drying out. Too much will soften the leather to loose its shape.

1dn5up
01-23-2020, 09:18 PM
End result , after wet leather has dried with a 38 special mold inserted after 2days

consitter
01-23-2020, 09:20 PM
Got a nice surprise in the mail a day earlier than expected . :clapping: Smooth , and quality item.

Need to get some Needsfoot oil for the sheath. Will definitely get the 112 in February.

Looking good, Frank!

I didnít want to say, but I had a feeling that it would get there early because mine arrived 2 days earlier than what they quoted me.

1dn5up
01-23-2020, 09:21 PM
82054 Yes, Iím a Southpaw .

consitter
01-23-2020, 09:34 PM
Here’s my molded open top sheath I bought off a guy on Etsy. It’s made from saddle leather. It’s REALLY nice. Just ordered a snap top one to use as well.

BillR
01-23-2020, 11:04 PM
Yes, I’m a Southpaw .

I was gonna ask when I saw the empty holster, but you beat me to it. Me too. I notice those things.

Thanks for the info on oiling the leather. I have a couple old ones that need sprucing up.

BillR
01-23-2020, 11:06 PM
Hereís my molded open top sheath I bought off a guy on Etsy. Itís made from saddle leather. Itís REALLY nice. Just ordered a snap top one to use as well.

That's nice. What belt attachment does it have?

consitter
01-24-2020, 12:25 AM
That's nice. What belt attachment does it have?

A hard leather loop sowed to itself.

consitter
01-24-2020, 12:53 AM
Hereís a pic of the loop...

hogcowboy
01-24-2020, 02:26 AM
Both , then insert the weapon and it will form to it. When doing Gun holsters , wet the leather , then insert the gun mold and let it dry. Then oil just to keep it from drying out. Too much will soften the leather to loose its shape.

I've never done this so would like a little bit more info.

Just how wet do you get the leather? Soaking like submerged in oil or what?

How long does it take to dry?

How do you get the depressions like the trigger guard and trigger. Some vacuum or something?

And confirm, it is neatsfoot oil and not water to do this forming and drying.

Any kind of neatsfoot? I hear some swear by Fiebing's for some reason so wonder if you have a preference too.

Anything else you might suggest for a first timer would be appreciated. Sorry to bug you on what you might think is common sense but I've just never done anything with leather other than use it. Well, except for my old baseball glove and that I did use neatsfoot oil to shape a pocket for the ball. But I don't remember how wet I got it or how long it took to dry or any of the particulars involved to get that pocket formed. And it was heavily used immediately after anyone so not really sure what I did had anything to do with the end pocket anyway. That was like 62 years ago or more when I was somewhere around 12 or 14 when I got my first new glove. A glove lost in time too.

1dn5up
01-24-2020, 07:55 AM
I've never done this so would like a little bit more info.

Just how wet do you get the leather? Soaking like submerged in oil or what?

How long does it take to dry?

How do you get the depressions like the trigger guard and trigger. Some vacuum or something?

And confirm, it is neatsfoot oil and not water to do this forming and drying.

Any kind of neatsfoot? I hear some swear by Fiebing's for some reason so wonder if you have a preference too.

Anything else you might suggest for a first timer would be appreciated. Sorry to bug you on what you might think is common sense but I've just never done anything with leather other than use it. Well, except for my old baseball glove and that I did use neatsfoot oil to shape a pocket for the ball. But I don't remember how wet I got it or how long it took to dry or any of the particulars involved to get that pocket formed. And it was heavily used immediately after anyone so not really sure what I did had anything to do with the end pocket anyway. That was like 62 years ago or more when I was somewhere around 12 or 14 when I got my first new glove. A glove lost in time too.

1/4Ē leather is used , a model of the weapon is needed , plastic or wood. Childís toy gun. Coat the model with wax so it doesnít stick to the wet leather. Warm water soaking with the model in will emboss it using your fingers

When the leather drys , it will be stiff and molded. Cut out whatís not wanted while the model is still in.

use automotive leather cleaner , paste, to keep it from drying out . Using oil on embossed leather will get soft and you will loose the embossing !!

BTW, before starting , the two pieces or leather must be sewn together loosely. Use the model weapon as a tight fit. After the molding is done , a final sewing is done to its shape. Yes a comercial sewing machine is needed .

Needsfoot oil is used on leather only if you want it soft and plyable , Re baseball gloves , knife sheaths .

consitter
01-24-2020, 12:04 PM
So Frank...you do your own leather work? That holster looks really good!

BillR
01-24-2020, 05:02 PM
My Buck 505 came in today. I recently got the 506 and 501. There is a 507 that has pearl scales that I got outbid on, I'll find one in time.

From top down, 500 Duke

501 Squire

503 Prince

505 Knight

506 White Knight (I guess it was, 35 years ago when it was new. The script logo places it between 1979 and 1985). The same date range for the 500 and 503.

Gone2Three
01-24-2020, 05:11 PM
My Buck 505 came in today. I recently got the 506 and 501. There is a 507 that has pearl scales that I got outbid on, I'll find one in time.

From top down, 500 Duke

501 Squire

503 Prince

505 Knight

506 White Knight (I guess it was, 35 years ago when it was new. The script logo places it between 1979 and 1985). The same date range for the 500 and 503.

Very nice collection of 500's there Bill :clapping:

Gone2Three
01-24-2020, 10:06 PM
Tracking info on my package shows it arrived in Austin, hopefully it will make it to Pflugerville tomorrow and be delivered as scheduled.

Hey Scott, that's the same brown sheath that I brought as well. But it won't arrive until Monday.

consitter
01-25-2020, 02:41 AM
Tracking info on my package shows it arrived in Austin, hopefully it will make it to Pflugerville tomorrow and be delivered as scheduled.

Hey Scott, that's the same brown sheath that I brought as well. But it won't arrive until Monday.

My new sheath from the saddle maker is coming Monday. I called and asked if he could put a rush on it, and he did.

hogcowboy
01-25-2020, 04:02 AM
1/4” leather is used , a model of the weapon is needed , plastic or wood. Child’s toy gun. Coat the model with wax so it doesn’t stick to the wet leather. Warm water soaking with the model in will emboss it using your fingers

When the leather drys , it will be stiff and molded. Cut out what’s not wanted while the model is still in.

use automotive leather cleaner , paste, to keep it from drying out . Using oil on embossed leather will get soft and you will loose the embossing !!

BTW, before starting , the two pieces or leather must be sewn together loosely. Use the model weapon as a tight fit. After the molding is done , a final sewing is done to its shape. Yes a comercial sewing machine is needed .

Needsfoot oil is used on leather only if you want it soft and plyable , Re baseball gloves , knife sheaths .

Thanks very much. I was thinking it almost had to be water you use. Do you have a particular 'automotive leather cleaner , paste" you've found works better than others? Or what kind do you currently use. I can see now how people ruin a good holster by putting oil on it thinking they are keeping it from drying out. I don't normally use leather preferring Kydex due to the humidity here and not wanting a dampish holster ruining a gun with rust when stored in my closet. Kydex is just so much safer in that regard.

I do have a knife sheath I'd like to try this on. I bet you use some kind of drier to shorten the drying process. I'll have to let mother nature do the best she can knowing humidity is my enemy and spring and humidity are just around the corner.

1dn5up
01-25-2020, 05:57 AM
Thanks very much. I was thinking it almost had to be water you use. Do you have a particular 'automotive leather cleaner , paste" you've found works better than others? Or what kind do you currently use. I can see now how people ruin a good holster by putting oil on it thinking they are keeping it from drying out. I don't normally use leather preferring Kydex due to the humidity here and not wanting a dampish holster ruining a gun with rust when stored in my closet. Kydex is just so much safer in that regard.

I do have a knife sheath I'd like to try this on. I bet you use some kind of drier to shorten the drying process. I'll have to let mother nature do the best she can knowing humidity is my enemy and spring and humidity are just around the corner.

Lexol #2 . Wallmart has it in automotive section. NO dryers !

1dn5up
01-25-2020, 06:24 AM
So Frank...you do your own leather work? That holster looks really good!

Funny story.

35 years ago , I was at a range. I admired the guy next to me had this fancy holster on. Got talkin , and he was a local shoemaker. Remember them ? Asked him about making me one for my 38s&w. He invited me to to watch the process and learn me how to do.

You need a lot of comercial machines if your to make them , sewing , grinders , cutters, buffers ect. Unfortunately he passed on a year or two after that. Those old timers knew there stuff. But he taught me a lot during the process while making it.

He probably was the guy that put the heel taps on my boots back in the late 50’s-60’s. Yup, I was one of those cool �� guys making noise in the high school hall ways .

Just one of those things left embedded into this pea brain left.

consitter
01-25-2020, 06:39 AM
Funny story.

35 years ago , I was at a range. I admired the guy next to me had this fancy holster on. Got talkin , and he was a local shoemaker. Remember them ? Asked him about making me one for my 38s&w. He invited me to to watch the process and learn me how to do.

You need a lot of comercial machines if your to make them , sewing , grinders , cutters, buffers ect. Unfortunately he passed on a year or two after that. Those old timers knew there stuff. But he taught me a lot during the process while making it.

He probably was the guy that put the heel taps on my boots back in the late 50ís-60ís.

We had a shoemaker here until about a year ago...his name was Gordy. He was in the local motorcycle gang too...the Bear Creek Bandits. His downtown shop closed up a little while back. Donít know if he retired or passed away.

1dn5up
01-25-2020, 06:43 AM
We had a shoemaker here until about a year ago...his name was Gordy. He was in the local motorcycle gang too...the Bear Creek Bandits. His downtown shop closed up a little while back. Donít know if he retired or passed away.

All those machines were on one large shaft. Belt driven with one motor. Two HUGE sewing machines , and a lot of bandaids :D

consitter
01-25-2020, 06:46 AM
All those machines were on one large shaft. Belt driven with one motor. Two HUGE sewing machines , and a lot of bandaids :D

Our guy had a bunch of separate machines. The place always smelled like old leather. You could smell it from 20 feet outside the door of the shop.

You gonna make your own sheath?

1dn5up
01-25-2020, 07:07 AM
Our guy had a bunch of separate machines. The place always smelled like old leather. You could smell it from 20 feet outside the door of the shop.

You gonna make your own sheath?

Nope , the one that came with the 110 is fine. Has a double layer inside to prevent accidental release. I just gave it a a good dose of leather cream.

consitter
01-25-2020, 07:29 AM
Nope , the one that came with the 110 is fine. Has a double layer inside to prevent accidental release. I just gave it a a good dose of leather cream.

Iíll do the same to mine. Itís some hard leather.

trike lady
01-25-2020, 03:48 PM
Funny story.

He probably was the guy that put the heel taps on my boots back in the late 50ís-60ís. Yup, I was one of those cool �� guys making noise in the high school hall ways .

Just one of those things left embedded into this pea brain left.

The old time craftsmen took a lot of knowledge with them when they left the earth, skills that are gone forever. My grandmother could sew, make beaded purses, reupholster furniture and redo the old wire frame lampshades. Today everything is 'Throw Away'; stuff is made so that you cannot repair it or it costs more to fix then what you paid for it when you first purchased it. I learned a lesson on that with laptops, buy commercial/business grade ones they're easier to work on, my last consumer grade one died.

As for knives I don't have collector ones, except the Chinese Army knife from Dollar Tree.

FuzzyWuzHe
01-25-2020, 04:19 PM
Bought this in 1975 ... it does not swing open it slides straight out of the handle ... with practice ... it's pretty fast ... :D

In the case, which I don't use to carry it ... it's more of a pocket knife.

Closed, see the knurled part on the back of the blade, just push down, slide that forward, it opens.

Starting to open

Almost Open

Open, at this point it locks, push on the lock on the right side bottom to slide it back.

Case and knife, the knife doesn't say buck, just the case.

First Edition, 383 of 500.

I bought this at a Harley Dealer ... who knows if it is actually a Buck, but the nylon case that came with it says it is, and I'm pretty sure it had Buck paperwork, but 45 years is a long time to remember.. Very light weight, easy to pocket cary.

By loosening the case (gently pry the halves apart, it's just a press fit), you can push down on the knurled button, flick, it's open. I keep it a little snugger, still pretty quick to open and safer to carry.

consitter
01-25-2020, 05:26 PM
Could you post a short video of you opening it up? Iíd love to see that.

FuzzyWuzHe
01-25-2020, 06:41 PM
Could you post a short video of you opening it up? I’d love to see that.

Man, that was tougher than I thought ... One hand for knife ... one hand to video ... I'm out of practice, and I have a pretty sore thumb (you can see the owie in the video), but it still fairly quick and could be done in your pocket. This is the best of the batch. But at least you can see the mechanism work, no springs, just thumb power.

As a side note, tried to look up the "model#" on the net, nada, sent an email with pics to buck, asking for info to their history department. We'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6KNMsqCEFM&feature=youtu.be

paws
01-25-2020, 07:44 PM
Fuzzy..that’s pretty neat! For me that type action would be easier for me to operate. I stay away from folding pocket knives as the blades are so hard for me to open and close. I carry a very small box cutter that is spring loaded and locks.

BillR
01-25-2020, 08:14 PM

That's pretty cool. I've never seen one like that before. Is that your every day carry?

consitter
01-25-2020, 08:45 PM
Man, that was tougher than I thought ... One hand for knife ... one hand to video ... I'm out of practice, and I have a pretty sore thumb (you can see the okie in the video), but it still fairly quick and could be done in your pocket. This is the best of the batch. But at least you can see the mechanism work, no springs, just thumb power.

As a side note, tried to look up the "model#" on the net, nada, sent an email with pics to buck, asking for info to their history department. We'll see.

Thanks Alan! Thatís very cool!

FuzzyWuzHe
01-26-2020, 12:00 AM
That's pretty cool. I've never seen one like that before. Is that your every day carry?

I carry it most days ... there are places of course I can't carry it ... the VA comes to mind.

My only complaint, and it may be just me. It's SS ... I wish it was carbon steel. I have an old case knife a Boatswain Mate gave me many years ago that is carbon steel, it does rust if it is put away wet, so I keep a light oil on it, but, it is so easy to keep an edge. The SS just doesn't hold it right, but, as I said, I might not be sharpening it right. Maybe I should research that ... LOL. Don't get me wrong, it's sharp enough for McGver to build a strip mall out of milk crates with it.

But, the carbon steel blade of the Case is scary sharp. I've cut myself with it and not even known I did ... kind of like a razor blade or sheet of paper ... :blush: .. and it just stays that sharp. I dropped it one day while working on a pool and cracked the wooden handle, so I retired it, it has some sentimental value to me.

The Buck was purchased when I bought my first New Harley (thought I needed it for my image, now, just don't care about my image :AGGHH:), so it has some sentimental value too. Never had to use it for self defense, but, used it for every other thing, cleaning nails, cutting tape, cutting meat ... LOL ... maybe that's why it doesn't stay sharp????

Gone2Three
01-26-2020, 12:10 AM
That's cool...and a limited to 500 made, you probably won't see many more like it around after 45 years.

Thanks for sharing it here Alan!

Gone2Three
01-26-2020, 12:41 AM
So here's my Buck 110 Boone and Crockett Club- Ebay find. It was a little dirty and didn't play nice inside the tin during shipping (insert was trashed) but it cleaned up nice. Came with the paperwork and nylon sheath as well. Unfortunately the collectors tin was dented and scratched from the shipping so it's in the recycling.

From the date stamp it's a 2010 model, second edition ThumbUp

And then on display is my 91' 501 and 87' 309 82153

Lastly...it was my newest (beforehand) Schrade Texas Rangers 175th anniversary edition Uncle Henry, (also dated 2010) that was gifted to me.

consitter
01-26-2020, 01:01 AM
Nice haul!

Keep the tin anyhow. That will increase the value, even in bad shape.

Gone2Three
01-26-2020, 01:22 AM
Nice haul!

Keep the tin anyhow. That will increase the value, even in bad shape.

Lol...okay I'll go and dig it out, didn't think of that, but probably wouldn't sale it anyway it's a keeper

hogcowboy
01-26-2020, 04:10 AM
Lexol #2 . Wallmart has it in automotive section. NO dryers !

Thanks once again. So any oil works to release that nice crisp shape. That makes sense and explains why some of mine don't seem to be as good as they once were. And here I thought I was helping keeping them from drying out. That's a damned if you do and damned if you don't thing.

BillR
01-26-2020, 05:53 PM

I found it. It's a Benchmark "ROLOX".

Four on Ebay now from between $150 and $450.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oGtik0OjOQ

Gone2Three
01-26-2020, 06:32 PM

Nice going Bill... looked them up on Ebay and that stag handle one is sweet, but it's way out of my budget by a mile :xzqxz:

FuzzyWuzHe
01-26-2020, 07:36 PM

It could be a bench mark knife ... 45 years ago was a long time ... I'm having trouble with yesterday ... LOL. Definitely the same mechanism ... :blush:

1dn5up
01-26-2020, 07:37 PM
^^^^^ Nice piece , the mechanical alone is interesting , but my fingers wonít let things like that happen anymore.

consitter
01-26-2020, 08:22 PM
It could be a bench mark knife ... 45 years ago was a long time ... I'm having trouble with yesterday ... LOL. Definitely the same mechanism ... :blush:

My brain is the same way. 15 years of morning watch has took its toll. Working nights is killing me slowly.

consitter
01-27-2020, 09:51 PM
Got another sheath in the mail today from the same guy that made the open top one. The fit and finish on this one is better. He got this one to me much sooner than the last one at my request. Heck of a nice guy. Made it and sent it out the next day. 82278

nucseal
01-27-2020, 10:44 PM
Fuzzy..thatís pretty neat! For me that type action would be easier for me to operate. I stay away from folding pocket knives as the blades are so hard for me to open and close. I carry a very small box cutter that is spring loaded and locks.

Dual Action Switchblade comes to mind, would work for you.

https://www.grindworx.com/item--Titan-Gray-DA-OTF-Automatic-Knife--27632

hogcowboy
01-28-2020, 02:35 AM
Got another sheath in the mail today from the same guy that made the open top one. The fit and finish on this one is better. He got this one to me much sooner than the last one at my request. Heck of a nice guy. Made it and sent it out the next day. 82278

Who's making sheaths for you? That OTF looks interesting to me but no way would I carry that puppy without some kind of sheath. Sure doesn't have to be much but I'm just not finding any. Just started looking though too. So I may find something that would work.

1dn5up
01-28-2020, 02:52 AM

Cornering the market on sheaths , causes more knife purchases !

paws
01-28-2020, 04:59 AM
Dual Action Switchblade comes to mind, would work for you.

https://www.grindworx.com/item--Titan-Gray-DA-OTF-Automatic-Knife--27632

Thanks for this tip Nuc! Such a variety of sizes, blade styles, finishes.... and all within my handling ability!

consitter
01-28-2020, 03:37 PM
Who's making sheaths for you? That OTF looks interesting to me but no way would I carry that puppy without some kind of sheath. Sure doesn't have to be much but I'm just not finding any. Just started looking though too. So I may find something that would work.

Nay Leatherworks off Etsy.

nucseal
01-28-2020, 03:56 PM
Very nice collection of 500's there Bill :clapping:

Hey Randall, Been trying to PM you. Your inbox is full and I can't get a message to you. Need to empty so I can send a PM

consitter
01-28-2020, 07:53 PM
Cornering the market on sheaths , causes more knife purchases !

You get me, Frank. You get me.

Gone2Three
01-29-2020, 06:01 PM
Can anyone tell me about how old a Buck knife is with just one dot ? 82329

1dn5up
01-29-2020, 07:48 PM
Can anyone tell me about how old a Buck knife is with just one dot ? 82329

1967 - 1972 . Thers no mention of any one dot on the right side. Buck USA is the only clue. To me anywho :cool:

1dn5up
01-29-2020, 08:07 PM
Back in 1973 while renovating the house , I found this German WW ll matching # on Scarbard and Bayonet . The leather sheath is a little dry rotted , but the knife and scarbard is not rusted.

Gone2Three
01-29-2020, 08:53 PM
1967 - 1972 . Thers no mention of any one dot on the right side. Buck USA is the only clue. To me anywho :cool:

Well, did a little bit more digging into the mystery dot ...Found this on a knife forum:

"vintage Buck 527 Treasury folding pocket knife with a rare early transition one dot after the "527" indicating 1985 manufacture"

So I'm not a 100% sure, nothing noted as to the above on the Buck sight.

This one is brown, but also found it was manufactured in different color variations.

Tiny... under 3" closed but very neat little knife indeed. Looking to close the deal after work, just didn't know how valuable it might be and wanted to avoid getting ripped off

Gone2Three
01-29-2020, 08:54 PM
Back in 1973 while renovating the house , I found this German WW ll matching # on Scarbard and Bayonet . The leather sheath is a little dry rotted , but the knife and scarbard is not rusted.

You found that in your house?

1dn5up
01-30-2020, 06:27 AM
You found that in your house?

I was hidden in the basement. The original owner died , so I guess no one else knew about it.

consitter
01-31-2020, 09:01 PM
Neat-o Frank!

Gone2Three
01-31-2020, 10:27 PM
I was hidden in the basement. The original owner died , so I guess no one else knew about it.

Neat-o Frank!

:Agree:

I'd never be so lucky...

Most interesting find of mine were some old glass medicine bottles and a mercury dime under our old house

Gone2Three
01-31-2020, 10:56 PM

Finally got around to taking a picture of my new addition, I had to negotiate with the owner through the consignment shop. Wound up paying $10 more than I wanted, but for $30 still isn't bad considering others like it are being sold for more on Ebay.

On that note, he has a couple of additional pieces there that I like, but asking price is rather high.

I put a deposit down to hold them until I can negotiate a bundled deal.

I have to blame someone so... I'm blaming Bill and Scott equally :laugh:

Gone2Three
01-31-2020, 11:16 PM
Also... a couple of questions for you guys

1- now that I have my sheath can the knife be stored in it long term or do you keep them separate? I haven't had a knife big enough to do so until now.

2- just wanted to see what you were using to clean and oil your knives with.

Mine aren't used much and they get wiped down after handling...and oiled with nano oil if needed

Have you tried anything else that works better for you?

consitter
01-31-2020, 11:28 PM

1- now that I have my sheath can the knife be stored in it long term or do you keep them separate? I haven't had a knife big enough to do so until now.

Mine aren't used much and they get wiped down after handling...and oiled with nano oil if needed

I store mine in the sheath.

1dn5up
02-01-2020, 06:32 AM

Nice 527 with a Rosewood handle :clapping:Randall.

If the sheath has a snap flap, (leather sheaths) use Lexol #2 leather cream on the outside , put a piece of electrical tape over it on the inside. Prevents from leaving a mark in storage , re getting green or a circle mark on the wood.

Use any gun oil . Just wipe with a film , same with the moving parts.

You canít set it and forget it ! Gota play with it once n a while :D

1dn5up
02-01-2020, 06:38 AM

I'd never be so lucky...

Most interesting find of mine were some old glass medicine bottles and a mercury dime under our old house

Every house built pre 80ís with a concrete block foundation , the masons used Beer Cans to fill the voids :cxtv:

Gone2Three
02-06-2020, 11:08 PM

Is this a special edition?... Hadn't seen scales on a 112 like this, also what's the value of it $ ?

Thanks

BillR
02-06-2020, 11:40 PM
I've never seen a 112 quite like that before. Can you post some more pix?

Gone2Three
02-07-2020, 12:26 AM
I've never seen a 112 quite like that before. Can you post some more pix?

Appreciate your research Bill, thanks for the PM :good:

1dn5up
02-07-2020, 06:39 AM
Buck has a limited time special ó- Spend $100 , get a 110 for free :clapping:

Papa Zook
02-07-2020, 08:11 AM
Starting a new thread to keep all the new knife posts together and not clutter up the Late Night thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Scott got my interest in Buck knives rekindled so I acquired a few new (old) ones. Top is a 110, middle is a 112 and the bottom is an 055 (supposed to be a half size 110).

You and Scott are gonna cost me money...

1dn5up
02-08-2020, 09:20 PM
Just bought a 535 moose skinner pro ...

consitter
02-09-2020, 04:08 AM
Buck has a limited time special ó- Spend $100 , get a 110 for free :clapping:

Crap...missed that one by a few weeks...

1dn5up
02-09-2020, 04:16 AM
Crap...missed that one by a few weeks...

Still going on. Only applies to full priced items. Can not use on sale/discounted knives.

consitter
02-09-2020, 04:19 AM
Still going on. Only applies to full priced items. Can not use on sale/discounted knives.

Never mind that then. Could save more the other way.

BillR
02-11-2020, 07:34 PM
I got this in 2010 at Galax. I take it out once a year to wipe it with a drop of oil. Thought I would share. It is #230 of 500. I put the quarter in for size reference.

Gone2Three
02-11-2020, 11:18 PM

My early Valentine's day gift from Michele came in the mail today😍

....found it on Ebay and made an offer before the bidding started.

Gone2Three
02-11-2020, 11:32 PM
On another note, the owner (collector) that I purchased the 527 from had a couple more knives there i was intrested in as mentioned before, so I asked the consignment shop to make a deal for them, turns out he had two others of the same series he'd be interested in parting with if the $ was right. So after a lengthy back and forth through the parties we agreed to the sale of all 4 of 700 series buck knives for $195 plus tax, roughly 50 bucks apiece.

I'm paying it out over time so they will be coming home hopefully by the end of the month.

I'll keep y'all posted

BillR
02-11-2020, 11:36 PM
My early Valentine's day gift from Michele came in the mail today😍

....found it on Ebay and made an offer before the bidding started.

Nice one. And it's a vintage. What size is it? say, compared to your 501.

BillR
02-11-2020, 11:38 PM
On another note, the owner (collector) that I purchased the 527 from had a couple more knives there i was intrested in as mentioned before, so I asked the consignment shop to make a deal for them, turns out he had two others of the same series he'd be interested in parting with if the $ was right. So after a lengthy back and forth through the parties we agreed to the sale of all 4 of 700 series buck knives for $195 plus tax, roughly 50 bucks apiece.

I'm paying it out over time so they will be coming home hopefully by the end of the month.

I'll keep y'all posted

Can't wait to see 'em. :clapping:

Gone2Three
02-11-2020, 11:41 PM
Nice one. And it's a vintage. What size is it? say, compared to your 501.

Thanks,

Slightly smaller than the 501 83045

1dn5up
02-13-2020, 12:20 PM
535 just purchased , for BBQ slice n diceing. Lefty sheaths not available. :gah:

BillR
02-13-2020, 01:31 PM
Wow, that's a bada$$ blade.

I know what you mean about lefty stuff.

Did you get the free 110?

1dn5up
02-13-2020, 05:49 PM
Wow, that's a bada$$ blade.

I know what you mean about lefty stuff.

Did you get the free 110?

No freebie, only good if you pay full price. This was on a sale price :Shrug:

Its light and well balanced.

BillR
02-13-2020, 06:05 PM
No freebie, only good if you pay full price. This was on a sale price :Shrug:

Those prices on the website must MSRP prices. I was in Walmart today and saw the 110 LT for $19.99 and the wood and brass 110 for $39.

My wife got me a Buck 293 for Valentine's Day (Thanks for the idea Randall) for $40 and change out the door. The web says $60.

BillR
02-13-2020, 08:36 PM
The Buck 293 my wife got me for Valentine's Day.

FuzzyWuzHe
02-19-2020, 11:20 AM
Just ordered this from Gridworx ... might become my new carry knife.

It's called the Kershaw Automatic Ca Legal Knife, short blade, like 2"

BillR
02-19-2020, 01:10 PM
Alan, I couldn't find it under gridworx, but I did find it under grindworx.

That's a cool knife.

paws
02-19-2020, 01:17 PM
Just ordered this from Gridworx ... might become my new carry knife.

It's called the Kershaw Automatic Ca Legal Knife, short blade, like 2"

Is this what you are bringing to Kerrville in April for my present? :D

FuzzyWuzHe
02-19-2020, 07:23 PM
Is this what you are bringing to Kerrville in April for my present? :D

Rut Ro ... was coming empty handed .. now I gotta bring gifts :Shrug: so much pressure

hogcowboy
02-20-2020, 05:54 AM
I made the mistake of trying to get a OTF knife a tad cheaper so tried Lightning OTF Knives (https://www.lightningotfknives.com/). BIG MISTAKE. A full month later and still waiting for the $40 knife I wanted. So just a warning to be cautious if you use them. I'm in the process of challenging my credit card purchase. I given them notice to deliver by tomorrow or the BBB gets involved. For whatever good that will do. At least they'll get an opportunity to plead their case.

Gone2Three
02-20-2020, 09:02 PM
My two new additions arrived today, very impressed by how nice the Case brand quality is...

Vintage stockman , 3 blade 1979 5318 HP SSP

And a beautiful wood handle (5 dot) P1051 1/2 L

BillR
02-20-2020, 09:26 PM
Those look really nice !

Case does make good knives. The only Case I have is the commemorative trapper I posted before.

Of course that could change after I see my friends husbands collection. :Shrug:

Gone2Three
02-20-2020, 09:38 PM
I'm anxious to see what might be hidden away in that collection. I made another payment today on the 700 buck knives.... Can't wait to bring them home.

Besides those, I've got some inexpensive finds that should be here by weeks end.

Found a cool Gerber, Imperial and two others that I made offers on and made a deal. That option is dangerous... especially the counter offer :D

FuzzyWuzHe
02-20-2020, 10:14 PM
My knife has shipped ... guessing next week ... I'll do a video when it comes .. or pics

Gone2Three
02-20-2020, 11:10 PM
My knife has shipped ... guessing next week ... I'll do a video when it comes .. or pics

Did you pick up an extra one or two for gift giving ;)

:laugh:

BillR
02-20-2020, 11:23 PM
Randall mentioned Gerber. I got this in either 1984 or 1989 for my 10th or 15th year Service award at the phone company. It's a Gerber Sportsman that has never been used. I put the Buck 112 next to it for a size comparison.

Might not be able to read it but the plaque on the end says "CONTEL".

Gone2Three
02-20-2020, 11:33 PM
Randall mentioned Gerber. I got this in either 1984 or 1989 for my 10th or 15th year Service award at the phone company. It's a Gerber Sportsman that has never been used. I put the Buck 112 next to it for a size comparison.

Might not be able to read it but the plaque on the end says "CONTEL".

That's a nice looking knife Bill, I like the way the wood inlay sits 👍

Yeah, mine is very different from yours. I'll have to research it when it gets here. The pictures were dark and it was hard to tell from them the condition. But it was listed as new for $39, offered $20 and he agreed so it's on the way.

BillR
02-20-2020, 11:50 PM
It's a discontinued model. Looks like they came in three sizes, with mine being the largest.

Gone2Three
02-21-2020, 12:08 AM
It's a discontinued model. Looks like they came in three sizes, with mine being the largest.

Now you just have to find the other two sizes :p

FuzzyWuzHe
02-21-2020, 07:03 AM
Did you pick up an extra one or two for gift giving ;)

Didn't want to embarrass myself ... so just ordered the one ... ya know ... to see if it's what I think it should be :D

ol' school
02-21-2020, 06:45 PM
One of my favorite knives, my Schrade Uncle Henry 124UH from 1985 when Schrade was still U.S.A. made. They only made this knife from 1985 - 1988.

ol' school
02-21-2020, 07:24 PM
And my Schrade LB7 from 1979... it has helped gut many a deer over the years.

BillR
02-21-2020, 09:21 PM
Those are nice! I've always been a fan of stag handles. Haven't ever gotten one. You obviously know how to sharpen a knife.

I'm thinking of taking a Buck 110 and replacing the scales with some deer antler that I have.

Gone2Three
02-22-2020, 01:06 AM
3 of my Ebay finds arrived today, 2 more coming in tomorrow from the tracking info available.

I'll try and get some pictures up, I'm getting the eye from the wife from all of these little packages that keep coming... :cxtv:

ol' school
02-22-2020, 05:55 AM
Those are nice! I've always been a fan of stag handles. Haven't ever gotten one. You obviously know how to sharpen a knife.

I'm thinking of taking a Buck 110 and replacing the scales with some deer antler that I have.

That would be a neat project. Make it a one of a kind!

ol' school
02-22-2020, 03:14 PM
Part of my Cowboy Action rig... a Russell Green River Works knife and sheath...

ol' school
02-22-2020, 03:18 PM
Another deer hunting knife this one with a gut hook.

Gone2Three
02-22-2020, 06:41 PM
Had some time to oil and wipe down the new additions. The yellow Imperial and Browning arrived today. The Gerber is prettier than the picture in the listing, there was no mention of the engraving. I put my Squire in the picture for size comparison to the others. The only one missing from this group shot is a Schrade Scrimshaw "Cowboy" edition which I will post once I get it cleaned, the knife caught my eye and I'm an old western fan.

Out of all , the most expensive was the Gerber at $20, the others were about $12 plus shipping.

ol' school
02-22-2020, 07:10 PM
Nice group of knives Randall! That engraved Gerber is a beauty!

Gone2Three
02-22-2020, 08:14 PM
Nice group of knives Randall! That engraved Gerber is a beauty!

Appreciate that Doug, it really surprised me when I opened it. The silver bolsters were dark until I cleaned them up, and the blade was sticking...but not any more, she cleaned up nice ThumbUp

1dn5up
02-22-2020, 08:32 PM
Nice set Randall . I love the Gerber along with the Browning :clapping:

FuzzyWuzHe
02-22-2020, 09:18 PM
Small, but, very sharp. Seems well made. Maybe a bit heavier than I thought, but, very pocketable. It has a pocket clip on the back. The red button is a little hard to push, it's almost recessed. Probably a good thing ... considering I don't need to do accidental surgery while in my pocket.

Front

Back

Open

Action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzlyiqspO7M

BillR
02-22-2020, 09:21 PM
Doug, I really like the cowboy action knife. Some fine stitching on the sheath. Is it machine sewn?

This one reminded me of my Dads Boy Scout knife. I'll get it out and post a pic. I have a Buck 103 skinner that has totally disappeared. If I ever find it, I'll post it, too.

Randall, you done good friend. You have an eye for beauty and bargains.

Tell Michele I apologize for my part in kindling your KAS. ​(Knife Acquisition Syndrome).

BillR
02-22-2020, 09:26 PM
Sweet little Kershaw, Alan. That will make short work of any cutting job. :p

jc1300
02-22-2020, 10:11 PM
I've been traveling with this Rubber Gripped Back Lock SOG for a very long time. It's the best blade I've ever had and the grip has never let me slip. Can anyone tell me the Model of this knife? 3.5" Blade. Thanks

Gone2Three
02-22-2020, 11:19 PM
I've been traveling with this Rubber Gripped Back Lock SOG for a very long time. It's the best blade I've ever had and the grip has never let me slip. Can anyone tell me the Model of this knife? 3.5" Blade. Thanks

That looks like a Tomcat, here's a link to what I found...it's a good looking knife

You can go back to the parent directory for list of models from there

http://www.sogknivescollectors.com/attachments/Image/sog_tomcat_1_original/

ol' school
02-23-2020, 06:39 AM
Doug, I really like the cowboy action knife. Some fine stitching on the sheath. Is it machine sewn?

Bill, I am pretty sure it is machine sewn. I bought it on-line from a website called Montana Americana. I had bought the knife at a Civil War cavalry re-enactment and found the sheath looking at CAS vendor sites. Here is a link to their site... they make custom knives too.

http://montanaamericana.com

ol' school
02-23-2020, 11:12 AM
My Fire/EMS carry knife. A Kershaw 1550ST Blackout-Serrated. It was one of Kershaw's first SpeedSafeģ assisted opening system knives and works well one hand opening with rescue gloves on.

ol' school
02-23-2020, 11:22 AM
Not really a collectible in it's condition but this well used little Case XX knife has cut more than it's share on twine off hay bales to feed horses in it's life. Still holds a good edge.

ol' school
02-23-2020, 12:08 PM
A working Buck knife here. A Buck 123X fillet knife. Works well filleting fish and taking the backstrap and fish out of deer.

BillR
02-23-2020, 08:58 PM
I got out my Dad's Boy Scout knife and cleaned it up a bit. Afraid do anything to the sheath.

It's a Kinfolk. I never heard of them before, so I looked them up. In business from 1920 to 1957 and an affiliate of Case knives. This is called an Outer's Style Boys Knife. Sold during the depression for $1.50.

My estimates that my Dad had this somewhere between 1934 and 1940 (his teen years). The catalog shows that the blade should have 5/8" longer than it is. He either used the heck out of it, or broke the tip at some point.

ol' school
02-23-2020, 09:01 PM
Neat old knife Bill! Awesome to have something like that your Dad owned!

Gone2Three
02-23-2020, 09:26 PM

jc1300
02-23-2020, 10:54 PM
That looks like a Tomcat, here's a link to what I found...it's a good looking knife

You can go back to the parent directory for list of models from there

http://www.sogknivescollectors.com/attachments/Image/sog_tomcat_1_original/

Thank you very much! Evidently my search skills suck...lol. Gonna buy another just in case and one for a friend who I'm afraid will steal mine soon!

BillR
02-23-2020, 11:37 PM

I can just see him putting points on tent stakes, or making sticks to cook hot dogs or marshmallows on the camp fire.:flame:

FuzzyWuzHe
02-27-2020, 01:01 PM
Just ordered this from Grindworx. $19.98,w/tax and shipped.

Gonna be more like my old friend.

https://youtu.be/m3qGIJJ5eKo

paws
02-27-2020, 01:33 PM
Oh cool! I like it much better than the other knife you just ordered to bring as my present to Kerrville... :)

FuzzyWuzHe
02-28-2020, 08:27 AM
Oh cool! I like it much better than the other knife you just ordered to bring as my present to Kerrville... :)

Okay ... you've ruined the surprise now ... I got you one but in silver to match your bike. :blush:

paws
02-28-2020, 09:19 AM
Okay ... you've ruined the surprise now ... I got you one but in silver to match your bike. :blush:

You are SO nice... your mama raised you right!

Of course, I would rather have the Ark of the Covenant they found on Oak Island...

FuzzyWuzHe
02-28-2020, 07:42 PM
You are SO nice... your mama raised you right!

Of course, I would rather have the Ark of the Covenant they found on Oak Island...

What can I say ... that is out of my reach ... but I will offer you either the black or the silver belly button knife. Color doesn't matter to me ... just tell me which color you want .. cause when they get here, I'm gonna start using one of them ... the other will be in the Carla care package along with some other stuff.

Gone2Three
02-29-2020, 06:17 PM
Had some time to post pictures of the Schrade scrimshaw Cowboy knife I mentioned last week...

It's a numbered edition and about the same size as my Buck 110, overall it was clean with some light scuffs on the bolsters

Front:

Back:

Gone2Three
02-29-2020, 06:21 PM
And ...another Ebay s'deal for a Gerber, it's about 2 3/8 closed and not sure what wood but it caught my eye. Neat little knife!

ol' school
02-29-2020, 06:52 PM
Had some time to post pictures of the Schrade scrimshaw Cowboy knife I mentioned last week...

It's a numbered edition and about the same size as my Buck 110, overall it was clean with some light scuffs on the bolsters

Front:

Back:

Really nice knife Randall! ThumbUp I have been waiting for you to post pics of it after you mentioned you had got it and was cleaning it up. Real sweet!!!

FuzzyWuzHe
02-29-2020, 09:30 PM

Front:

Back:

Sweet knife ... nice find.

Gone2Three
02-29-2020, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys, I thought it was a interesting piece :clapping:

Something I learned is that the artwork is hot stamped in the Delrin then inked to look like scrimshawing...and this artist, Frank Giorgianni did most of the early artwork for the Schrade Scrimshaw series knives.

BillR
03-01-2020, 12:46 AM
Randall, those are good looking knives. The Gerber looks a little like a piece of weathered teak wood I have in the shop. Could be something totally different.

Papa Zook
03-01-2020, 11:22 AM
Thank you very much! Evidently my search skills suck...lol. Gonna buy another just in case and one for a friend who I'm afraid will steal mine soon!

Do you know what these are going for? You might be suprised...

The older style ones like yours especially. They look much nicer than the new model to me.

ol' school
03-01-2020, 12:38 PM

The older style ones like yours especially. They look much nicer than the new model to me.

Yeah JC, you better hang on to that one!!!

BillR
03-01-2020, 09:41 PM
Those look really nice !

Case does make good knives. The only Case I have is the commemorative trapper I posted before.Of course that could change after I see my friends husbands collection. :Shrug:

I'm anxious to see what might be hidden away in that collection.

I got the pictures of my friends husbands' collection today. :gah: 75 in all. What a set. From military K-Bars to a bunch of Case and Bucks, down to novelty knives.

There are about a half dozen that I'm really interested in. We're going to get together next week so I can drool on them in person.

Gone2Three
03-02-2020, 12:15 AM

Yeah JC, you better hang on to that one!!!

.... that's for sure :xzqxz:

Gone2Three
03-02-2020, 12:22 AM
I got the pictures of my friends husbands' collection today. :gah: 75 in all. What a set. From military K-Bars to a bunch of Case and Bucks, down to novelty knives.

There are about a half dozen that I'm really interested in. We're going to get together next week so I can drool on them in person.

Well Bill, it's nice that you have a chance of owning some of your friends treasured belongings. Keep us posted :)

FuzzyWuzHe
03-03-2020, 04:30 PM
The silver & black belly button knives came today. Didn't do a video, they work just like the Grindworx video showed. Didn't test the silver one, that's Carla's.

Carla, you are gonna love this, easy open, easy close. no chance of getting your finners in it when it closes.

Gone2Three
03-03-2020, 05:03 PM
The silver & black belly button knives came today. Didn't do a video, they work just like the Grindworx video showed. Didn't test the silver one, that's Carla's.

Carla, you are gonna love this, easy open, easy close. no chance of getting your finners in it when it closes.

Awww Alan...you're such a great guy ThumbUp

FuzzyWuzHe
03-04-2020, 08:51 AM
Awww Alan...you're such a great guy ThumbUp

Naw ... Carla gave me her spare air hawk .. so just a small way to thank her. I also ordered some touch up paint for Jessica (the silver Gold Wing), didn't have it long enough for the paint to come in, just happens to be the same color as her trike. Someone might as well use it ... :D

paws
03-04-2020, 11:55 AM
Naw ... Carla gave me her spare air hawk .. so just a small way to thank her. I also ordered some touch up paint for Jessica (the silver Gold Wing), didn't have it long enough for the paint to come in, just happens to be the same color as her trike. Someone might as well use it ... :D

Alan... really.... not necessary unless the knifeís key chain is attached to the Ark or a treasure chest of gold from Oak Island...:D

BTW - my bike is commonly called titanium not silver... so donít bring the paint unless...

Y181P - Challenger Brown Metallic ... this is the official Honda paint name and code for my bike.

FuzzyWuzHe
03-04-2020, 11:59 AM
Y181P - Challenger Brown Metallic ... this is the official Honda paint name and code for my bike.

Exactly what it is ... straight from the Honda dealer

Gone2Three
03-06-2020, 10:17 PM

Hey guys, was hoping y'all can help me in identifying what this image is stamped on the bolster of one of my in-laws knives.

Edit....

I figured it out, lol it's this emblem (duh)

I'd brought it home to clean and oil, thought it was a scuff on the bolster...turned out to be this. Pretty sure he's not noticed it seeing that I had to zoom in on it to see what it was

Papa Zook
03-07-2020, 05:21 PM
I moved this thread to the new knife forum. Yall should have never started this thread...:)

Gone2Three
03-09-2020, 09:43 PM
So here are the Buck knives I've been paying on...

705 - Pony

709- Yearling

703- Colt

701- Mustang

And the last one is not part of the etched knives series, but it's part of this family of knives... I picked up on Ebay while I was awaiting the others coming home

704- Maverick

hogcowboy
03-10-2020, 02:43 AM
So here are the Buck knives I've been paying on...

Now that's a dandy collection of Buck knives.https://images2.imgbox.com/48/52/7SqWr42J_o.gif

ol' school
03-10-2020, 08:43 AM
Randall, that is a very nice collection! Love the etchings of the horses! ThumbUp

Philip R
03-10-2020, 06:00 PM
A few of my pieces. There are a couple of hand made knives. The first has oosik (walrus penile bone) in the handle.

ol' school
03-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Phillip, nice collection of knives.

Gone2Three
03-10-2020, 11:11 PM
Very nice Phillip,

I'll bet there's a very unhappy walrus out there :AGGHH:

You've got to tell us a little more about them hand made ones ThumbUp

Philip R
03-11-2020, 01:13 AM
The oosik handled lock blade was made by a guy here in East Texas. My first wife got it for me as an anniversary gift. Lost the wife; kept the knife; life is good! The little wooden handle hunter was built by a guy in Colorado. A saleslady went there on vacation & brought it back. It's made out of a saw blade. It's not an expensive piece but looks old school.

I've got a double lock blade Buck with the lock releases in the center of knife. Blades open on each end. I must have it hide pretty well. I'll have to go thru the gun safe to locate it. I got a bunch of cheaper off brands that was given to me for Christmas & such. People think they are the perfect present for men, could be right!

hogcowboy
03-11-2020, 04:29 AM
What do you guys use to put a good edge on a new knife so you can then put a really sharp on with a fine stone? I got one the other day that you could ride to China on and new get cut. It isn't even close to having an edge on it. It almost looks like I need to use a grinding wheel to get close but surely that can't be. So what do you use to get an edge that be honed in?

1dn5up
03-11-2020, 07:57 AM
What do you guys use to put a good edge on a new knife so you can then put a really sharp on with a fine stone? I got one the other day that you could ride to China on and new get cut. It isn't even close to having an edge on it. It almost looks like I need to use a grinding wheel to get close but surely that can't be. So what do you use to get an edge that be honed in?

Anything Chinese has a 20 degree edge. American is 14-18 degrees.

I use a electric two stage sharpener on stainless steel , as it doesnít hold a edge. Plus any SS blade knife is cheep. Carbon steel , use a good hand water stone , and work it. Takes time but well worth it .

hogcowboy
03-12-2020, 04:23 AM
Anything Chinese has a 20 degree edge. American is 14-18 degrees.

I use a electric two stage sharpener on stainless steel , as it doesnít hold a edge. Plus any SS blade knife is cheep. Carbon steel , use a good hand water stone , and work it. Takes time but well worth it .

Crap, I was hoping y'all had a magic machine that just whipped a nice edge ready for a stone to bring in that final little bit of edge. Crud:(:(:(

1dn5up
03-12-2020, 04:30 AM
Crap, I was hoping y'all had a magic machine that just whipped a nice edge ready for a stone to bring in that final little bit of edge. Crud:(:(:(

Oh I forgot , for that razor sharp edge , finalize with a few swipes on a smooth leather strap.

You will get that barber sharp edge :D

Philip R
03-13-2020, 06:20 AM
I'd like to add this to my stash, but it's kinda pricey being a collector knife. Case Texas Longhorn.

1dn5up
03-13-2020, 06:39 AM
I'd like to add this to my stash, but it's kinda pricey being a collector knife. Case Texas Longhorn.

Nice double locker :clapping:

Philip R
03-13-2020, 07:08 AM
Nice double locker :clapping:

I found a couple for sale on the net. I haven't shopped at any gun & knife show in the area.

Gone2Three
03-13-2020, 08:22 AM
That is sweet!... yeah, them case knifes can get on up there especially for the older ones. What year is this one Philip?

Gone2Three
03-13-2020, 08:24 AM
Speaking of the net, I really need to stay off of Ebay :cxtv:

Philip R
03-13-2020, 11:43 AM
1980 or so. I heard that about Ebay!

BillR
03-13-2020, 12:04 PM
My friend emailed me yesterday saying she found three more display cases of knives from her late husbands collection.

I'm going over next week to see them in person. Here is one case, The three beige ones in the upper left corner reminded me of Randalls 700 series Bucks. It turns out that they are Camillus 100th Anniversary limited editions.

Gone2Three
03-13-2020, 12:55 PM

Here's my latest, so when I picked up the Bucks there was this one in the case that caught my eye. It looked unused but I wasn't familiar with the brand. Had the script writing so I figured it was a Buck knock off... He was asking $50 so no thanks...

Went back today and offered the guy $30 ...and it came home with me.

On a side note I've got a couple more vintage knives coming in from the evil Ebay sight.

That's it...no more ...I've got plenty of pretty knives now :cxtv:

Papa Zook
03-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Had to have this beauty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=27&v=0cGYbm1AF7k&feature=emb_l ogo

rhino 2
03-13-2020, 01:17 PM
Had to have this beauty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=27&v=0cGYbm1AF7k&feature=emb_l ogo

Do they make one for Southpaws.......:laugh:.....

LadyonaMission
03-13-2020, 06:54 PM

Here's my latest, so when I picked up the Bucks there was this one in the case that caught my eye. It looked unused but I wasn't familiar with the brand. Had the script writing so I figured it was a Buck knock off... He was asking $50 so no thanks...

Went back today and offered the guy $30 ...and it came home with me.

On a side note I've got a couple more vintage knives coming in from the evil Ebay sight.

That's it...no more ...I've got plenty of pretty knives now :cxtv:

My late husband often said that, by the time his birthday, our anniversary or Christmas rolled around he would snap out of it.

BillR
03-16-2020, 04:35 PM
I went over today to check out my friends husbands knife collection. It was NOT a wasted trip. :D

These were the ones I didn't buy. I came home with 11 including the Camillus 100th Anniversary ones and the Buck 500 with the stag handle. I'll post them when I get some good pix.

trike lady
03-16-2020, 06:44 PM
That looks like a very expensive collection. :)

BillR
03-16-2020, 08:07 PM
That looks like a very expensive collection. :)

My guess is probably $6-7 thousand if she can get true value for them. Her husband had a log book of purchase dates and $ amounts, starting back in 1982. She is moving and is thinking of having an Estate Sale company take the whole lot. I'm glad I had a chance to pick through them first. I have $12 left in my checking account until April. (not our budget acct.)

Gone2Three
03-16-2020, 09:12 PM
Wow! ... :xzqxz:

Nice that you had a chance to pick up a few of them Bill. Has she thought about listing them? Or is it too much of a hassle :Shrug:

BillR
03-17-2020, 12:27 AM
Wow! ... :xzqxz:

Nice that you had a chance to pick up a few of them Bill. Has she thought about listing them? Or is it too much of a hassle :Shrug:

I asked her about Ebay, but it is too intense and time consuming for her. She had a hard time sending me the pictures via email. She doesn't know knives. I helped her identify on the list, the ones I got.

BillR
03-17-2020, 12:35 AM
Here are the knives I got from the collection. 2 Bucks, 2 Case, 4 Camillus, 1 Browning, 1 Marble's and an Italian stiletto. She was going to give me the display case, but I gave her an extra $25 for it.

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, here is a closeup of the Case green bone.

consitter
03-17-2020, 01:33 AM
Nice haul, Bill!

And that green bone handle Case is beautiful!

hogcowboy
03-17-2020, 03:29 AM
I tried to carry a Kershaw knife similar to that one and the second day, somehow, it came open on me. I was working picking up all kinds of stuff and I'm sure something brushed up against it, but in my pocket I had no idea it would take such little effort to get it to open. When I wanted it open out of my pocket I had trouble fumbling around to get it in the correct position to flick the lever. So I was totally surprised when I felt something pointy partially out of my jeans pocket. So no more knives like that for carry for me without a sheath.

Gone2Three
03-17-2020, 11:08 PM
Here are the knives I got from the collection. 2 Bucks, 2 Case, 4 Camillus, 1 Browning, 1 Marble's and an Italian stiletto. She was going to give me the display case, but I gave her an extra $25 for it.

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, here is a closeup of the Case green bone.

You did good Bill... some very nice pieces you've added to your collection! ThumbUp

Gone2Three
03-17-2020, 11:24 PM
Here's my Pop's old Schrade + LB8 "Papa Bear" before and after cleaning. I now have something he owned to put in my collection.

Before:

After:

consitter
03-17-2020, 11:59 PM
Looks good Randall.

BillR
03-18-2020, 01:47 AM
Randall, that's a special piece for sure. Any idea how old it is? It took years for it to turn green from contact with the sheath.

ol' school
03-18-2020, 05:07 AM
Nice Randall! A special one for sure!!!

Philip R
03-18-2020, 06:09 AM
A good one. Congrats on the find.

1dn5up
03-18-2020, 06:17 AM
Always nice to have some trinket from our parents :clapping:I would use it as my every dayer, and every time it was used a smile would appear. :D

desertclassic
03-18-2020, 10:05 AM
I went over today to check out my friends husbands knife collection. It was NOT a wasted trip. :D

These were the ones I didn't buy. I came home with 11 including the Camillus 100th Anniversary ones and the Buck 500 with the stag handle. I'll post them when I get some good pix.

Like going to the ice cream store.

Gone2Three
03-18-2020, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys, this one is special indeed! Something from him that he used while I was in my younger days ...

Sent him the pictures and he was surprised on how good it looked.

Said he brought early 80's not exactly sure..from Crites lock smith on main st. San Antonio Texas for around 32 dollars

Gone2Three
03-18-2020, 10:23 AM
Randall, that's a special piece for sure. Any idea how old it is? It took years for it to turn green from contact with the sheath.

He pulled it out of his old tool bag, last time it was carried was before he retired

BillR
03-18-2020, 10:28 AM
Like going to the ice cream store.

I can't afford THAT much ice cream. :clapping:

1dn5up
03-19-2020, 03:28 PM
Talked to a Buck Knife rep. and told them they discriminate to southpaws .

They donít care ! :duel:

ol' school
03-19-2020, 04:17 PM

Gun manufacturers are the same... don't make as many southpaw rifles and charge more for them.

FuzzyWuzHe
03-19-2020, 04:45 PM
Was feeling a bit less than "manly" with my little knife ... :blush:

So, I ordered a new one ... :D

https://youtu.be/g6LKrRgDC3o

It's the first one the Kershaw Launch 1

Oh ... and for the record ... the clip can be set up for right or left pocket :D

BillR
03-19-2020, 04:47 PM

Look at Spyderco. MOST of their EDC knives have 4 way pocket clips; left, right, tip up, tip down. I carry mine in my left front pocket with the tip up. These are lock backs.

I haven't found a liner lock in left hand yet.

LadyonaMission
03-19-2020, 05:49 PM

You can give it to me, I am not into looking or feeling "manly".

ol' school
03-19-2020, 07:21 PM

https://youtu.be/g6LKrRgDC3o

It's the first one the Kershaw Launch 1

Oh ... and for the record ... the clip can be set up for right or left pocket :D

Nice knife Alan!

desertclassic
03-20-2020, 09:55 AM
I have to stop coming to the Knife thread, lol. I have a few that I will have to dig up, almost all in storage since we moved into the RV.

Keep on sharpening and counting the fingers.

hogcowboy
03-20-2020, 10:17 AM
You guys got some nice knives. I decided to look for my old hunting knife I carried just in case I got a deer. Back then a knife was just a knife. Took me for ever to get an edge on this puppy. Could almost shave with it at one time which lasted about two seconds. Don't if it's worth 2Ę in todays world but it worked for me back in the mid 60's. It was used when I got it. Probably some Sears thing but maybe y'all know more about this old dude. I ain't a good picture taker as you can see.

I think it says RH then inside an oval PAL then far right -36 and under Made In USA. Not sure if 36 or 38 though as it's difficult to tell.

https://i.imgur.com/9pOTO5M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qYM4hmi.jpg

paws
03-20-2020, 10:43 AM
Larry - don't know about $$ value. But it was made in the U.S.A. - that says something for it.

Gone2Three
03-20-2020, 11:00 AM
You guys got some nice knives. I decided to look for my old hunting knife I carried just in case I got a deer. Back then a knife was just a knife. Took me for ever to get an edge on this puppy. Could almost shave with it at one time which lasted about two seconds. Don't if it's worth 2Ę in todays world but it worked for me back in the mid 60's. It was used when I got it. Probably some Sears thing but maybe y'all know more about this old dude. I ain't a good picture taker as you can see.

I think it says RH then inside an oval PAL then far right -36 and under Made In USA. Not sure if 36 or 38 though as it's difficult to tell.

https://i.imgur.com/9pOTO5M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qYM4hmi.jpg

Larry - don't know about $$ value. But it was made in the U.S.A. - that says something for it.

Larry my friend, looks like you've got a vintage U.S. WWII RH Pal 36 Fighting Knife there buddy... :clapping:

Here's a link to some info: https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-wwii-named-rh-pal-36-fighting-knife-with-leather-scabbard?variant=38445106757

paws
03-20-2020, 11:05 AM
Larry my friend, looks like you've got a vintage U.S. WWII RH Pal 36 Fighting Knife there buddy... :clapping:

WOW Randall! Good detective work! How cool is that? :clapping:

Gone2Three
03-20-2020, 11:10 AM
WOW Randall! Good detective work! How cool is that? :clapping:

Lol, yeah I'm hooked on finding out some history of these old knife makers. You'd be surprised how many there once was back in a day....

wlivin2
03-20-2020, 11:15 AM

Here's a link to some info: https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-wwii-named-rh-pal-36-fighting-knife-with-leather-scabbard?variant=38445106757

I have one of these almost threw it away couple yrs ago

ol' school
03-20-2020, 11:37 AM
Larry my friend, looks like you've got a vintage U.S. WWII RH Pal 36 Fighting Knife there buddy...

Definitely one to hang onto Larry!!! ThumbUp

Gone2Three
03-20-2020, 11:40 AM
So...not as cool as Larry's WWll knife, here's one of my Ebay finds that I recieved in the mail recently

ULSTER NY USA

Gone2Three
03-20-2020, 11:44 AM
I have one of these almost threw it away couple yrs ago

:AGGHH:

Glad you hung onto it.... we'd love to see any of your knives ThumbUp

ol' school
03-20-2020, 11:55 AM
So...not as cool as Larry's WWll knife, here's one of my Ebay finds that I recieved in the mail recently

ULSTER NY USA

Randall, that is an old name in knives... nice knife!

1dn5up
03-20-2020, 12:06 PM

ULSTER NY USA

Ulster County NY. I lived in Allergerville , at that time population was around 250 . High Falls , Was the next town. Kingston I believe was ware the action was in knife making.

Gone2Three
03-20-2020, 12:14 PM
Ulster County NY. I lived in Allergerville , at that time population was around 250 . High Falls , Was the next town. Kingston I believe was ware the action was in knife making.

....How long ago was that Frank?

hogcowboy
03-20-2020, 12:18 PM

Definitely one to hang onto Larry!!! ThumbUp

Who knew? Well you did Randall and thanks very much for the link. Mine is pitted some from being in the sheath I guess for so many years. I tried to buff some of it up but sounds like that might be some of the Parkerization so probably didn't help what ever value it had but that's not why I had it anyway. It did it's job on one deer.

I couldn't hack the taste of that long legged rat so never went after anymore. Rabbits and pheasant is more to my taste so mine saw a lot of blood which most likely got in the sheath as well. Interesting that the one in the link as a hole near the point as mine does not. Seems like a smart thing to have added to my way of thinking.

And no, there's no way I was going to sell it anyway. I was just curious if anyone knew anything and BINGO, Randall came to the rescue. Again, thank you very much for the info. Probably shouldn't have buffed it up but had to to read the maker. Done now so oh well. Maybe when all my stuff is sold off after I'm dead, someone can make some money off it as I sure won't. I though I found it a garage sale but maybe it was my dad's, I just don't remember. This getting old is not easy. I forget things if I go to sleep now. Oh well.:) :) :)

FuzzyWuzHe
03-24-2020, 06:52 PM
It came today, this thing is kewl. Really sharp.

https://youtu.be/J5T7U8fwCyo

Gone2Three
03-27-2020, 07:54 PM
Well, seeing that I've been home bound for the last few days I took advantage of my free time to clean and oil my newest additions.

2 different Queen knives and one old Schrade

BillR
03-27-2020, 09:24 PM
Randall, I sent you something on the Queen knives. Looks like the one with a blade on each end is around 1958-60. Let me know if I'm close.

I need to get off my butt and take some pix of the other knives I got from "the collection".

Gone2Three
03-27-2020, 11:17 PM
Randall, I sent you something on the Queen knives. Looks like the one with a blade on each end is around 1958-60. Let me know if I'm close.

I need to get off my butt and take some pix of the other knives I got from "the collection".

Got it! thanks Bill, yep you are correct on that 85293

I was drawn to the color and look of the bone it's very hard to find and I was lucky to get it.

The other is the one was the produced afterwards and most associated by the Winterbottom name.

This I was told it dated late 60's early 70's as there is only the blade etching and no tang stamp. The gentleman that sold me this one also sold me a 3 blade version but it hasn't arrived just yet...I will post when it does.

Went and pulled a picture of the tang stamp for it from his email 85295

"Small Q" 1971 transition stamp

Said both purchased around the same period

Gone2Three
03-30-2020, 12:22 AM
I've been really, really, really bad these last few days :cxtv: :xszpv:

BillR
03-30-2020, 12:24 AM
I've been really, really, really bad these last few days :cxtv: :xszpv:

I hope you're not going to stop there. :gah::gah:

Gone2Three
03-30-2020, 12:30 AM
I hope you're not going to stop there. :gah::gah:

Let me put it this way...

now that we're quarantined to the house it's going to be a lot harder for someone not to notice all these little padded envelopes getting ready to start rolling in.

consitter
03-30-2020, 12:32 AM

now that we're quarantined to the house it's going to be a lot harder for someone not to notice all these little padded envelopes getting ready to start rolling in.

You'll be getting the dreaded stink-eye!

Gone2Three
03-30-2020, 12:38 AM
You'll be getting the dreaded stink-eye!

Oh heck yeah I am... :cxtv:

BillR
03-30-2020, 12:38 AM
I spoke with my friend and am planning to go by and check out a few more knives from her.

A Kabar hunting knife (not the military combat type), and a German hunting knife. If I have any money left, maybe another Case. Her list shows a Queen also. There a few stilettos, but they might be too high.

consitter
03-30-2020, 12:46 AM
Oh heck yeah I am... :cxtv:

You probably deserve it...:laugh:

Gone2Three
03-30-2020, 12:50 AM
I spoke with my friend and am planning to go by and check out a few more knives from her.

A Kabar hunting knife (not the military combat type), and a German hunting knife. If I have any money left, maybe another Case. Her list shows a Queen also. There a few stilettos, but they might be too high.

Well from the pictures I've seen there's still some really nice knives there. Wish I could look through them...most the time the collector type knives are jumped on, so it's hard to find a good brand at a decent price.

Didn't do bad ...my other Queen will be here tomorrow, and he sold me 2 Ka bar's from his collection. In total Ive got 8 coming, 1 offer pending and 3 more watching...

Like I said... really, really bad.

All together I spent under $150 shipped not including the ones not already committed to.

BillR
03-30-2020, 01:53 AM
Well from the pictures I've seen there's still some really nice knives there. Wish I could look through them...most the time the collector type knives are jumped on, so it's hard to find a good brand at a decent price.

Didn't do bad ...my other Queen will be here tomorrow, and he sold me 2 Ka bar's from his collection. In total Ive got 8 coming, 1 offer pending and 3 more watching...

Like I said... really, really bad.

All together I spent under $150 shipped not including the ones not already committed to.

A whole lot cheaper than I did. And I didn't have to pay shipping. 2 made up half the cost with the other nine making up the other half.

I have a copy of her master list of 99% of the knives. PM me what you are looking for and I'll see what is available.

I'm going by Monday or Tuesday hoping that Virginia doesn't make a mandatory lockdown. We need to go to Sam's Club and her house is on the way.

hogcowboy
03-30-2020, 04:39 AM
I've already go the stink eye from my wife. But I thought I had a good excuse. I cannot for the life of me find my old Buck that I carried daily for years. And yes, I looked on my hip just in case. My wife says she's seen it but she also hasn't found it. That thing used to take a nice edge. I sure wish she would find it. I've emptied all the drawers I thought it might have accidentally got put in. I wanted to start carrying it again darn it. It was/is a darn good knife. I don't remember what model but it can with it's own leather sheath. Hopefully she'll find it.

https://images2.imgbox.com/2e/c2/ozfUfPQi_o.gif

Gone2Three
03-30-2020, 05:18 AM
A whole lot cheaper than I did. And I didn't have to pay shipping. 2 made up half the cost with the other nine making up the other half.

I have a copy of her master list of 99% of the knives. PM me what you are looking for and I'll see what is available.

I'm going by Monday or Tuesday hoping that Virginia doesn't make a mandatory lockdown. We need to go to Sam's Club and her house is on the way.

Will do! ThumbUp.

With me it's going to be a $ factor, I've been watching auctions and doing deals for best offers and emailing the seller to ask if they would consider a lower price. I've also been looking at the ones with bad pictures, or descriptions. The person usually has no attachment or just doesn't know what they have.

My average sweet spot is around $20-30 or less mainly, the most expensive $50-55 and in between.

Most expensive was $113 on a 70's vintage case, but I put that on a no interest card...that's the advantage of using PayPal.

Gone2Three
03-30-2020, 05:20 AM
I've already go the stink eye from my wife. But I thought I had a good excuse. I cannot for the life of me find my old Buck that I carried daily for years. And yes, I looked on my hip just in case. My wife says she's seen it but she also hasn't found it. That thing used to take a nice edge. I sure wish she would find it. I've emptied all the drawers I thought it might have accidentally got put in. I wanted to start carrying it again darn it. It was/is a darn good knife. I don't remember what model but it can with it's own leather sheath. Hopefully she'll find it.

https://images2.imgbox.com/2e/c2/ozfUfPQi_o.gif

Hang in there....it will turn up eventually :good:

1dn5up
03-30-2020, 05:22 AM

Iíll have the housekeeper get the spare bedroom ready for ya. :argue:

Gone2Three
03-30-2020, 05:45 AM
Iíll have the housekeeper get the spare bedroom ready for ya. :argue:

Nahh, I'll let her use the cc to go shopping and then all will be forgiven :airkiss:

BillR
03-30-2020, 09:18 PM
This is a Marbles Ideal #42 Gladstone, Mich. USA. My best estimate is from the mid 20's through the 30's.

BillR
03-30-2020, 09:21 PM
Bone handled stiletto 3 5/8" blade.

Gone2Three
03-30-2020, 09:37 PM
They both stunning Bill, sure got some nice ones there! :clapping:

Here's the other Queen that came in today. I took an umbrella with me on the walk to the mailbox.

It may be just me but the texture of the scales is slightly different than the other. Could be just the age of it :Shrug:

Ps.

Enjoyed talking with you today

Side by side

ol' school
03-31-2020, 05:11 AM
Bill and Randall, both of you have some nice knives in your latest posts!

BillR
03-31-2020, 07:05 PM
Bill and Randall, both of you have some nice knives in your latest posts!

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Randall and I got together over texts when I went over to see "the collection" again this morning. We're both going to be eating Ramen noodles and peanut butter sandwiches for a month. :laugh:

​The suspense builds..........

1dn5up
03-31-2020, 07:39 PM
Only got one extra bed , its a king , so you both can sleep together when ya get thrown out :D

Gone2Three
03-31-2020, 09:34 PM
Only got one extra bed , its a king , so you both can sleep together when ya get thrown out :D

I don't know Frank...I have on good authority that Bill hogs the covers :p

Gone2Three
03-31-2020, 09:37 PM
You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Randall and I got together over texts when I went over to see "the collection" again this morning. We're both going to be eating Ramen noodles and peanut butter sandwiches for a month. :laugh:

​The suspense builds..........

That's for dang sure! 🍜 :laugh:

BillR
03-31-2020, 11:15 PM

I don't know Frank...I have on good authority that Bill hogs the covers :p

I'm bringing a sleeping bag so he can't spoon me. :gah:

I haven't had a chance to take pix of the new kids on the block and still have more of the first haul to post. Here are two Bucks. A custom pre 1985 model 500 with elk antler scales and a cool sheath. The other is a 112 AUTO from 2001. I thought that was a new thing for Buck but this one is 19 years old.

consitter
03-31-2020, 11:24 PM
My auto isn't working right. It won't open all the way. Gonna test the warranty once all this crap blows over.

Gone2Three
03-31-2020, 11:45 PM
My auto isn't working right. It won't open all the way. Gonna test the warranty once all this crap blows over.

That bites :xszpv: