How to remove corrosion and polish front wheel. HELP ME Please.

Nov 16, 2018
San Angelo, TX, USA
How to remove corrosion and polish front wheel. HELP ME Please.

Hello,

I just got my 2006 VTX 1800 trike a couple of weeks ago, purchased from a dealer in WI, I live in Texas.

In going thru my new steed I found the front wheel to have really heavily corrosion on the aluminum.
confused.gif

So far I have tried laying down on the ground and used aluminum polish, all that has given me is just shiny corrosion on the aluminum.

I have thought of pulling the front wheel but I would like to have better than Shiny Corrosion if I'm to do that.

There has to be someone out there who knows how to fix this issue.
helpsos.gif

Thank you, in advance,

David Hilton Ret. ETC/SS

If your interested I did post in the newbie introduce yourself (Howdy from San Angelo Texas) :wave4:

I had that problem on my 11 T/G.....I Had to use fine emery paper but it never looked like new, Once raw Aluminum gets corroded past a certain point its almost impossible to bring it back to new...I ended up rattle painting them black then clear coat shiny over that.......With my 17 T/G I clear coated them shiny as soon as i bought the Trike home before they could corrode....

Zepher Pro-40 Polish and a Mothers 12" extended Powerball on a cordless drill it really takes the work out of recovering as much as possible of the shine. My front wheel was sad when Shiney came to us and it took some work but it is nice now. :good: Travel safe Fred

DSC00272.JPGDSC00270.JPGDSC00130.JPGDSC01010.JPG

Check out the Company's website Zypher has an entire line of products that can be applied to restoring the finish to wheels. It is interesting what the right products and also the correct tools will do. Fred

Dave, That’s a nice front wheel on your trike , but they are a PIA to clean.

Just a suggestion being it’s winter, Remove the wheel , remove the brake disc. Scotch brite the wheel the best you can using fine grit. It will take ya a while to get it the way you want. Then rattle can a few coats of rustoleum clear.

When cleaning , NEVER use aluminum wheel cleaner , just fantastic or 409 type stuff.

Or remove tire and have it powder coated your color of choice. Chrome color is available.

Good luck.

+2 on using "Bar keeper's Friend" a tube/bottle is found at Home Depot... my front wheels were kinda pitted, and not looking good, well I was introduced to a bottle of this stuff..I tell you it works very well.....Once clean I use wax on the rim, and it stays nice and clean! This stuff is very cheap in price, not at all expensive. Which helps also..

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscopicker

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscopicker
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png