Noise from gas tank and lots of air pressure

Apr 25, 2016
Farmers Branch
I rode in mid 80's weather for about 26 miles to get home Saturday. When I pulled in the garage and got off the bike I heard a weird sound and after getting closer realized it was coming from the gas tank. I slightly unscrewed the cap and could hear the air hissing from the tank. I loosened a bit at a time until it stopped. I put the cap back on and got a few things from the bike and uncrewed the cap just a bit again and even more air pressure. What the heck is going on? Most of my riding will be in much warmer weather and longer distances when I get moved to Midland in June, so I want to figure out what the problem may be and if it is even a problem or me just fretting. :confused:

Is your gas cap OEM? Your right side gas cap should be the vented type. Possibly there is something wrong with yours.

If it was venting properly, the pressure would not build up.

You might check the tank vents. Have you or anyone else removed the tank? If so, there's a chance the vents got crimped, although it seems unlikely.

When you put the cap on, do you tighten it until it clicks at least once?

Hello neighbor :wave4:

I've had this happen to me before well, especially when the tank is low on fuel.The gas tank sits right on top of a hot engine, so as long as there's air moving over the engine and the bottom of the tank, you are removing the heat as it builds up. When you stop moving, you have heat build up in the gas tank which is probably the hissing you are hearing. The gasoline is actually expanding inside the tank resulting in air being expelled possibly at the cap through a relief.If you are worried I'd run it by the dealer and have them check it out.

Safe travels friend....

I rode in mid 80's weather for about 26 miles to get home Saturday. When I pulled in the garage and got off the bike I heard a weird sound and after getting closer realized it was coming from the gas tank. I slightly unscrewed the cap and could hear the air hissing from the tank. I loosened a bit at a time until it stopped. I put the cap back on and got a few things from the bike and uncrewed the cap just a bit again and even more air pressure. What the heck is going on? Most of my riding will be in much warmer weather and longer distances when I get moved to Midland in June, so I want to figure out what the problem may be and if it is even a problem or me just fretting. :confused:

Hey Linda....let me know when you get here. We can meet up for a coffee if you like. Carla

# 4 and 5 is your vent line, it runs from the tank under the seat down the left side and exists below by your belt

It may be plugged up

HD15FLHTCUTG053.gif

I do belong to one club at the present but they aren't very active with riding.

I did belong to another group but their few rides consisted of inviting the "chosen" one, then riding hard and fast to the next bar. If this wasn't your style then you were only good to them for buying "chance" tickets at the meetings and bringing food.

There are a number of independent riders out here - you catch them at the gas stations or restaurants.

There is the Harley Owners Group - but I don't have a Harley...got a Gold Wing.

Hello neighbor :wave4:

I've had this happen to me before well, especially when the tank is low on fuel.The gas tank sits right on top of a hot engine, so as long as there's air moving over the engine and the bottom of the tank, you are removing the heat as it builds up. When you stop moving, you have heat build up in the gas tank which is probably the hissing you are hearing. The gasoline is actually expanding inside the tank resulting in air being expelled possibly at the cap through a relief.If you are worried I'd run it by the dealer and have them check it out.

Safe travels friend....

I was low on fuel, so I think I NEED to take it and fill it up and ride to see if it does it again. That along with checking to make sure the cap clicked, and trying it with the original (not as cute) cap that is still in the trunk. I knew I needed to hold on the original cap, just didn't know why...LOL!

I was low on fuel, so I think I NEED to take it and fill it up and ride to see if it does it again. That along with checking to make sure the cap clicked, and trying it with the original (not as cute) cap that is still in the trunk. I knew I needed to hold on the original cap, just didn't know why...LOL!

So is the replacement cap vented? You can order them both ways, unvented & vented.

Hey Jack, Do you know for sure that this is a Harley? It says GL1800 in the Sig.

It's a Harley Freewheeler. There was something screwed up with my signature. I had a signature and a graphic...the graphic no longer appears to exist, but GL1800 the name of the missing graphic was printed. I just took down the dang signature. Too much to deal with...but at least I now know why the question. thanks!

Linda, for what its worth

My 2015 and my 2017 Freewheeler have both gushed when my tank was low on fuel

I cleaned out my vent hose on both trikes problem solved;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png