2014 triglide looking to purchase

Jul 30, 2014
Richmond, VA, USA
I am looking at a 2014 triglide. what are the things i should look out for. It has just over 20k. Had reverse motor and wiring professionally repaired. harley wants $165 to do a prepurchase inspection and it could take week or two. Any insights are appreciated.

Have them do a leak down test, basically they put air in the cylinders to see how much leakage past rings and valve guides and such. Anything over 5% and it's probably been over heated (Thanks Kevin for the education). I just bought a 14 and Kevin of DK custom products advised me to do that. Apparently Harley considers anything less than 10% okay.

Another thing you might want to look into is an extended warrantee to cover at least the big things. There is so much electronics on the 14's and up repairs can run into big bucks.

Aside from that, you can check fluids, if they are black ... not good. Test everything, lights, turn signals, reversed, cruise, Infotainment center ... everything. Mostly common sense stuff, but, needs to be checked.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. The bike has a salvage because of the reverse motor and wiring. I plan to see the repairs before i sign my name to anything. They bought it at an insurance auction and had the state inspect it and it has a new safety inspection too. I plan to spend the money to get it checked by the dealer. Seller had a good reputation in the area. This is all he does.

Thanks. The bike aas a salvage because of the reverse motor and wiring. I plan to see the repairs before i sign my name to anything. They bought it at an insurance auction and had the state inspect it and it has a new safety inspection too. I plan to spend the money to get it checked by the dealer. Seller had a good reputation in the area. This is all he does.

The leak down is a fairly quick and inexpensive test that speaks volumes about the condition of the motor.

On a side note ... I used to do pool inspections for a firm that inspected homes for perspective buyers.

I would always include in my report, that although at this moment, these are the only issues, anything mechanical can fail at any time. I'm sure a large percentage of us have had the experience that a well operating item just failed.

Thanks. The bike aas a salvage because of the reverse motor and wiring. I plan to see the repairs before i sign my name to anything. They bought it at an insurance auction and had the state inspect it and it has a new safety inspection too. I plan to spend the money to get it checked by the dealer. Seller had a good reputation in the area. This is all he does.

Are you saying it has a salvage title....:Shrug:....

A salvage title because of reverse motor and wiring?

Can this be explained better?

This makes NO sense to me unless there was an electrical fire?

You need to get more info and ask more questions JMO

The title is a repair title. There was an electrical fire in the reverse motor. I have not but will see the site of the damage/repair before purchase.

This shop has about 20 harleys on thier lot for sale. Some are repos some are repaired salvage bikes. They also sell bikes for projects.

Salvage Title.......

The title is a repair title. There was an electrical fire in the reverse motor. I have not but will see the site of the damage/repair before purchase.

This shop has about 20 harleys on thier lot for sale. Some are repos some are repaired salvage bikes. They also sell bikes for projects.

I have had a couple of salvage title Harleys; only because I personally knew the man that rebuilt them. But still, especially with fires, there are any number of issues that can pop up. My personal advice; if you aren't capable of working on the bike/Trike yourself, I would pass on it. Even if they are offering it at a HUGE discount, which they should be; keep looking.

But if you are determined to buy this trike also consider this fact, you are going to have a very hard time re-selling it once you are ready to move on to something else. Very few people will buy a salvage titled bike. And they definitely will not pay the going price.

Just my thoughts, born of experience. Best of luck.

Befor you buy, check with state on getting a title & plates. When I lived in Va., salvage titles were taboo , not sure about repair. Also contact an Insurance Co, about insuring also. Best of luck.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png