mud guards on FW

Front, rear, or both? (HINT: You have to make them ~ you can't just buy 'em.)

Attachments

• Front #2.1024x768.jpg
    Front #2.1024x768.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 296
  • Rear_After #2.1024x768.jpg
    Rear_After #2.1024x768.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 310
  • 3-bike-strip.cropped.500 pixels.jpg
    3-bike-strip.cropped.500 pixels.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
I was just going to put on the rear ones. What did you use to make them? And how are they attached to the fender?

This is how I made / installed my pair of rear wheel splash guards:

* Harley Davidson license plate mounting bracket, P/N 67900187
* Groboki Highland Duraflex 17-3/4" x 12" (plastic) mud flaps
* Loctite 222 low-strength thread locker (or similar)
* 3M Scotch-brand "Extreme" (double-sided) Mounting Tape ("Holds Up To 20 Lbs")

A = I removed the right tail light module, and installed the H-D license plate mounting bracket. I used Loctite 222 to re-torque the hardware to 40 ~ 45 in-lbs..

B = I cut out 2 plastic splash guards with a utility razor knife & kitchen shears. I used the license plate as a template, and made mine 7-1/4" x 5-3/4". I rounded off the corners, and drilled two 1/4" holes to mount them to the license plate mountings on both sides.

C = I installed a horizontal strip of double-sided tape (to stabilize the plastic guards) on the right and left sides, between the license plate mounting bracket and the splash guards.

D = On the left side (under the license plate light) I installed the license plate. On the right side, I installed two 1/4" x 1" black plastic screws & nuts to secure the splash guard. Water and debris will get under the splash guards, and I didn't want it to fall off on the highway (don’t ask me how I knew that :AGGHH:)

We also discussed this in an older thread: http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threa...=splash+guards

This is how I made / installed my pair of rear wheel splash guards:

* Harley Davidson license plate mounting bracket, P/N 67900187
* Groboki Highland Duraflex 17-3/4" x 12" (plastic) mud flaps
* Loctite 222 low-strength thread locker (or similar)
* 3M Scotch-brand "Extreme" (double-sided) Mounting Tape ("Holds Up To 20 Lbs")

A = I removed the right tail light module, and installed the H-D license plate mounting bracket. I used Loctite 222 to re-torque the hardware to 40 ~ 45 in-lbs..

B = I cut out 2 plastic splash guards with a utility razor knife & kitchen shears. I used the license plate as a template, and made mine 7-1/4" x 5-3/4". I rounded off the corners, and drilled two 1/4" holes to mount them to the license plate mountings on both sides.

C = I installed a horizontal strip of double-sided tape (to stabilize the plastic guards) on the right and left sides, between the license plate mounting bracket and the splash guards.

D = On the left side (under the license plate light) I installed the license plate. On the right side, I installed two 1/4" x 1" black plastic screws & nuts to secure the splash guard. Water and debris will get under the splash guards, and I didn't want it to fall off on the highway (don’t ask me how I knew that :AGGHH:)

We also discussed this in an older thread: http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threa...=splash+guards

Nice fix and great info ... :D

How did you attached the one for the front fender? I did the same with mine for the back tires

This is how I made / installed my FRONT wheel splash guard:

* Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder (3450 lbs.) Among other features, this epoxy allows you to move it around for a few minutes, to align and manipulate it. Also, its water-resistant once it's cured.
* Loctite 243 (blue) Medium Thread Locker (or similar)
* Groboki Highland Duraflex 17-3/4" x 12" (plastic) mud flap (higher up in this thread, #4)

A = A cut off another piece of plastic from the mud flap, with a utility razor knife & kitchen shears. The overall height was 10". The narrower part, that fits inside the front fender, was 4-1/2" high and 4-1/2" wide. The wider part, that hung down from the fender, was 5-1/2" high and 5-3/4" wide.

I also measured the length, from the bottom edge of the splash guard. to the ground. I made sure it would clear my wheel chocks, wood blocks, and the sidewalk curbing at the end of my driveway. In my case, 5-1/2" was enough. Once I was sure it could navigate my driveway without hitting something, I rounded off the exposed ends of the splash guard.

B = I removed the front fender and turned it upside down on a carpet.

I used coarse 220# sandpaper to rough up the narrow plastic part of the splash guard and the inside paint of the front fender where it would mate. Then I used a solvent to thoroughly clean both surfaces (I used DuPont 3919S Prep-Sol Solvent.)

C = Stabilize the fender upside down and side-to-side with wooden blocks, towels, tape, etc. It's going to be in one position for a few hours, and it will SMELL!

D = I cut off a thin piece of plastic as a mixer / spatula, and mixed the epoxy in a paper plate. I applied to both surfaces, and aligned the splash guard in the correct position, with a brick on top, until it cured.

E = I re-installed the front fender, using Loctite 243 (blue) Medium Thread Locker, and torqued to 20 Ft-lbs.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png