Relocate freewheeler horn

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
I'd like to relocate the horn on my '21 Freewheeler. Has anyone done this already? Want to show more of the motor and maybe get a bit more air on the rear cylinder.

How about using the frame downtubes with a 3 piece clamp and mounting it similar to a Shovelhead wide glide

b36d1cf5d57ff053c1d8721878b2ac43.jpg

This is what I'm wanting to do. The horn wiring and hardware is still on the bike in the below pic, it's just been edited out with some software, but you can get the idea. I did remove the horn and try a couple of locations. There's not enough room to comfortably mount the horn on the front down tube and it looked too cluttered. I mounted it, minus the cover, on the cross bracket above the front cylinder, but didn't like the way it looked. Harley sells a Sportster horn that's the same diameter (3.5"), but flat. Out of stock. I managed to find one at House of Harley in Milwaukee. Planning on mounting it on the flat plate area behind the rear jug. Have plenty of room and multiple mounting points already there. Re-routing the wires will probably be a chore, but I'll figure it out. I guess posting this has already voided my warranty, huh?

Horn Reloaction.jpg

Screenshot at 2021-10-23 15-15-23.png

The only purpose of the two bolts holding the horn bracket to the cylinders is to hold the bracket, correct? They're not also acting as head bolts are they?

The only purpose of the two bolts holding the horn bracket to the cylinders is to hold the bracket, correct? They're not also acting as head bolts are they?

Horn bracket bolts only, in years gone by it used to be an upper engine mount;)

Remember your Trouble head ( Shovelhead bike) ?

M8 engines have the upper engine mount on the front of the engine, some of these bolts like to loosen and shear off, mostly on triglides and baggers. Go figure

Mounted the new horn today. Wanted to put it on the frame plate behind the rear jug. It fit fine and was very discreet, BUT it would have involved pulling the battery and a bunch of wiring out of the way to get to the bolt to tighten it down. That doesn't even cover the rerouting of the wires to the horn, soooo took the "easy" way out and just put it where the original horn was, sort of. I'm convinced that the assembly line guys at Harley are having a contest to see how much lock tite they can put on a bolt and my bike won. Finally got the bolts out and if you've ever looked at the rubber damper the horn is mounted to it is the worst rig I've ever seen. It's a piece of rubber sandwiched between two metal discs with what looks like a bolt running through them and screwed into a threaded boss on the bracket. Nope, not what it is. Had to hacksaw that entire rubber rig off and file flat the inside of the bracket and touch up the paint. No going back to stock horn now. End result, I'm satisfied and got the effect I wanted and the horn is plenty loud for my purposes.

G-21 Freewheeler-026 Horn Swap.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png