Road Smith Trunk Leak

rhino65

250+ Posts
Aug 14, 2016
Atwood, Illinois United States
Anyone have they're trunk leak right in front of bottom trunk hinges on their HTS 1800 conversion? Pretty sad a new conversion leaks. Tried adjusting top lock but no difference. Unable to post pics but laid paper towel all across bottom then sprayed with hose. Wonder if any other trike manufacturers have water leak problems on new kit. Pay way too much money to have 2 leaks

Anyone have they're trunk leak right in front of bottom trunk hinges on their HTS 1800 conversion? Pretty sad a new conversion leaks. Tried adjusting top lock but no difference. Unable to post pics but laid paper towel all across bottom then sprayed with hose. Wonder if any other trike manufacturers have water leak problems on new kit. Pay way too much money to have 2 leaks

Let me guess...was it converted in Alabama?

Trunk Leak

I purchased mine last year from K & D Cycle in Alabama. New 2023. I found the lower hatch bolts were not tighten and leaked. I siliconed them and that solved most of my problem. The trunk still leaks. I've seen on some threads that the rubber gasket could be installed incorrectly. I plan to contact them this year and ride down to have it repaired. Paid way too much to have this problem. Also, my tire pressure light on the dash never goes off. I've been told they do a short cut on the install to save $$'s. Ugh!!!

I purchased mine last year from K & D Cycle in Alabama. New 2023. I found the lower hatch bolts were not tighten and leaked. I siliconed them and that solved most of my problem. The trunk still leaks. I've seen on some threads that the rubber gasket could be installed incorrectly. I plan to contact them this year and ride down to have it repaired. Paid way too much to have this problem. Also, my tire pressure light on the dash never goes off. I've been told they do a short cut on the install to save $$'s. Ugh!!!

I found several shortcuts they take. A front brake line not hooked up. Not sure how it links but I have front & rear brakes. Do not think they work together like they should. After getting my 08' GW with new conversion home last July I crawled underneath it & started looking around and adding accessories and now realize how they can crank out so many & be cheaper on prices. Not worth it

The leak is 100% due to the installer. I have corrected at least a dozen of these for RS owners who bought their trike or trike kit from a certain high volume discount dealer who promises a one same day installation. When Roadsmith builds the kit AND they paint it, they always correctly install the rubber trunk seal and it never leaks.

This particular dealer always orders their kits unpainted, because they do their own paint jobs to save a few hundred dollars and promise a one day install. Who wants a one day install?? In their haste, very often the trunk seal is not installed properly and will always leak.

The trick is to take a rubber or plastic dead blow hammer and starting at the top center of the trunk opening, gently, but firmly tap the rubber seal to seat it to the trike body's opening edge. The seal is a commonly used automotive u-shaped rubber tube that is molded to a tough plastic, metal impregnated flexible channel that seats over the fiberglass lip of the trunk opening.

Starting at the top center and working to the left, firmly tap the seal every inch to seat it paying close attention in the top and bottom (4) radius of the opening as these are the areas that unless done exactly as I am describing, will not be fully seated and where leaks will occur. Make sure when you get to the lower radius, to hold firm pressure on the upper radius of each side as you tap in the seal at the lower radius so it does not pull away at the top.

If it was installed incorrectly, when each side is reseated properly, you will see a 3/4" to 1" gap appear in the middle of the bottom of the seal's ends, due to the seal not having been seated all the way in the corners and thus being cut too short. The resulting gap on the bottom center of the seal can not leak, as water will not climb uphill and into the trunk. You can put a dab of clear silicone in the gap if you want.

The leak occurs because water naturally enters the space between the body and trunk at the top of the body/trunk lid. This is a design element of all trike kit manufacturer's bodies. As water runs down the sides of the seal, it is wicked into the trunk due to a gap on one or both sides of the lower radius. The process of properly seating the seal will stop the leak.

~Reposted from an earlier thread same issue HERE.

I removed entire seal which simply pulled away. NO SEALANT OF ANY KIND. NOTHING. NADA. Siliconed entire groove. Had small gap at bottom like Papa zook mentioned. Still leaked at hinges. Removed bottom screws of hinges, flipped up hinge, siliconed, re installed & no more leaks even after a garden hose with sprayer drenching.

Few days before picking up trike I called & talked with the wife. Very nice & courteous. Asked to make sure everything worked before I drove 565 miles. Upon arrival top right turn signal didn't work. I pointed it out. While waiting on repair one of the employees mentioned out of blue that they don't even remove the top trunk to do conversion. ??? I would love to see that hat trick. The locals seem to love them

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleycruiseraz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleycruiseraz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png