Stallion not allowed in the STEP Safety Class

Big Dog

Contributing Member
Jul 13, 2008
Sarasota
I have just walked out of the "STEP Class", Sidecar/Trike Education Program, being offered here in Florida. Saturday morning and checked in, people were interested in the Stallion. Started the classroom session, all about handle bars and controls, and the safety gear we are required to wear. The gear consists of gloves, long sleaves, long pants, eye wear, helmet, and over the ankle boots. After an hour and half, we headed outside for track exercises.

All seven trikes, and two sidecars are ready to go. Then they tell me that the Stallion will not be allowed to participate, I'll have to use one of the school's trikes. One other rider was not allowed to use his Harley with the Adventurer setup, sort of like training wheels. It's been ten years since I was on a bike, I asked if I could take the trike I would be using, a Rocket 250, around the track and get used to it. They said no. I did say that if I wanted to ride a trike, I would have bought one, and not have bought a Stallion!

Not being in the best of shape, by the end of Saturday's program my knees and feet (had to wear their boots), were in agony. After class I spoke to one of the directors of the Evergreen Safety Council, they wrote and administer the "STEP". He said that the reason for the Stallion being disqualified was that it was to long and could not stay inside the lanes that the program was using. The course layout is based on specs from the National Highway Administration.

The entire reason for my taking the class was it has to be taken to get my "trike" endorsement on my liscense. My main reason was to learn what safety issues they could teach m, as they related to my Stallion. The response I got was, just roll with the program, get your endorsement, and go ride your Stallion. Well if the Stallion is not qualified to be in "STEP", how LEGAL is it to be driven on the road? Keep in mind, if you are involved in an accident any sharp lawyer can find out that your trike endorsement does not cover the Stallion. That being the case, do you even have a valid liscense? The state of Alabama does not, at this time, honor a Florida trike endorsement.

This is a big can of worms, on the bright side the owner of Florida Motorcycle Training of Lake County, In. is currently working with Florida to give trikes like the Stallion a place in "STEP". This morning in conversation about the situation, Angie Washo, said that she would welcome working with Jeff Vey, President of TMS, the maker of Stallion. She has also told me that when it is all settled, I'll be contacted to come in and take the class with my Stallion.

So as of today, I don't have a valid liscense to ride my Stallion. So not wanting to take the chance of a ticket my Stallion, will sit and gather dust. Since I drive for a living, I will not put my CDL, at risk. I'll trailer to the class again when Angie calls me.

Hey big dog,
You can come to NC and live in my basement. Once you are there, you can take the paper test for a motorcycle license, and wallah! you will have a MC license good for 1 & 1/2 years without even taking the driving portion! But wait, it gets better, if you act now when you take the driving portion, you will only have to start the trike and show the official you can accelerate and hit the breaks since the Stallion is to large for the course, and the only way to be disqualified is to put your foot down before you stop! So I guess it can cut both ways. In NC you would not have any problem, and OJ would have lost his home!!!!! I would not worry about what a lawyer would try to make of it, since I am one, I can tell you we can argue any point from any position, that is what we do best. Good luck, I hope you can get is sorted out.

Big Dog, what a bummer! :( Hope it all gets settled quickly to the satisfaction of all the Stallion riders. We did enjoy meeting/talking with you. I like your seat, what thickness is the memory foam? Next time you are in the area, give us a call and we'll get together!
Mikey and Wifey (Natalie)

It seems to me that that should have been discussed prior to your beginning the class, not in the middle of the class.

I was under the impression that all the issues were covered seven weeks ago. I answered all of the question that they, Florida Motorcycle Training asked. It seems that this was to be the first trike class, known as the STEP system. STEP was written by Evergreen Safety Council, their instructors were grading and evaluating FMT. The guys from ESC decided to not allow the Stallion after putting hands on it, not the FMT people. Below is a link to ESC.

esc.org

I have to protect my CDL, I plan on working for ten more years.

Last edited:
Big Dog. I know you said this, and I am not an attorney, but don't take a chance of having an accident on your Stallion before you get a valid license. Without a license, any accident is your fault, regardless of what happened. Good luck on solving your problem.

Question..... actually a couple....
Do you have a motorcycle endorsement?
What does Florida classify the stallion as?
What does Alabama classify the Stallion as?

If it is as a motorcycle, then wouldn't your MC endoresment cover it?
Even in Alabama, as all states currently honor each others Motorcycle endorsement?

I reference this message on this board
At Idle Join Date: Jul 2008

Re: Trike test in Conn.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
John, in Alabama there is no separate test/license for trikes. However, we have very lax requirements for adding a motorcycle endorsement if one has a current drivers license. There is no riding test, simply a simple written test. I was shocked when my wife got her MC endorsement and she has never ridden a motorcycle. I will teach her to ride our new trike after we pick it up next week and then send her to the MSF course for her safety. However, it was convenient to get her endorsement with just a written test.
http://www.triketalk.com/forum/general-forum/548-trike-test-conn.html

here are the alabama rules and regs
Alabama Motorcycle License - Handbooks, Requirements - DMV.ORG
"If you obtained your Alabama driver's license before 1990 and have kept it since that time, you already have a motorcycle license. Look on your license. In the top right corner, there should be a "D" next to "Class." If you also have an "M," you are already licensed to drive a motorcycle."

I hope I helped you out some!!!!

As of last week, Florida will allow Stallion's into the STEP Program. So yesterday I completed the course:D, and now have the motorcycle endorsement with the "S" restriction. Which is three wheeled cycles only.

I did have a cycle endorsement, which I dropped when riding a cycle was no longer an possibility for me any longer. On July first of this year Florida began demanding that if you did not already have a cycle endorsement, you could get a trike endorsement if you wanted to get a trike. Not making it necessary for you to have to hassle with a two wheel class. For some off us gravity senitive riders out there, this is a good rule.

Hurrah, Big Dog! I am so glad that has been worked out and you can enjoy your Stallion whenever you want now! Something to be thankful for this week :D

A bit after the fact, but good for you, Big Dog. I read the original post a while back and thought they "done you wrong" from the get-go. Glad to hear it all got settled!

But here's my question, which really has just occurred to me and I should have thought of sooner: does the M on my license qualify me to ride, legally, both motorcycles and trikes, or is an additional endorsement required for riding the trike? I'm so confused! :confused: (Not always a big stretch, for me! :rolleyes:)
BTW, I'm a Florida resident, too.

A bit after the fact, but good for you, Big Dog. I read the original post a while back and thought they "done you wrong" from the get-go. Glad to hear it all got settled!

But here's my question, which really has just occurred to me and I should have thought of sooner: does the M on my license qualify me to ride, legally, both motorcycles and trikes, or is an additional endorsement required for riding the trike? I'm so confused! :confused: (Not always a big stretch, for me! :rolleyes:)
BTW, I'm a Florida resident, too.

As of July 1 of '08 if you do not have a motorcycle endorsement on your Florida DL, you will need to pass a Trike Class. When you pass and go to DMV, they will add a "S" endorsement which when a cop runs your dl it will as "three wheel cycle only"....not good for two wheel use. If you already had the "M" they figure that you don't need to learn the ins and outs of three wheels. None of which impact the Stallion any way.

With the Stallion, not one bit. But keep in mind I had my motorcycle endorsement for tweny years before I let it drop.

John Luciano
Tour Captain Join Date: Mar 2008

Re: Survey of Stallion Owners or people who are getting close

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am getting (hopping ) a new BILL passed in Conn. This would allow people to take a test on ( or in)a 3 wheeled vehicles. As of this moment You can operate any Motorcycle Trike etc with you M (Motorcycle ) endorsement the problem is if you showed up with a Stallion you could not take the test. If the law makers don't catch it they are going to pass a law that states you can take your test for 3 wheel Motor Vehicle . Not mentioning the word Motorcycle. This will open the door to any vehicle with 3 wheels.

John,
Good job! keep up the good work. It seems like the lines are getting more and more blurry between cars and motorcycles, and we need to keep our Stallions in the motorcycle category.

Hi guys, I think I will just throw a little clarification in on the subject of the Florida DL and the motorcycle endorsement. Big Dog is correct. As of July 1st 2008 anyone who wants a motorcycle endorsement on their Florida DL must attend a Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles approved motorcycle training class. There is a trike course available in these schools. If you are doing the trike class only you will get a motorcycle endorsement on your Florida DL with an "S" restriction for "other" and then in the readout it will say 3 wheels only. In Florida a motorcycle is defined as any motor vehicle having a seat or a saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground F.S. 316.003(22)

<snip
He said that the reason for the Stallion being disqualified was that it was to long and could not stay inside the lanes that the program was using. <snip>

How much longer is the Stallion than a raked Hannigan or Roadsmith (GL1800 based) trike? and how much, if any, wider is it's turning radius?

If the course layout was in fact specified by the NHTSA, it is time for the agency to go back to the drawing board!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redskin9

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redskin9
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png