Removing a Hannigan body

I'm looking for any pointers on removing the Hannigan body from my 08 RSV, whats the best and easiest method ?
I am going to fabricate an auxiliary fuel tank and trailer hitch for it over the off season. I am hoping to be able to make a tank with more capacity than what Hannigan offers. I was thinking that maybe I could use a RSV tank from a wrecked bike and mount it under there, another 6 gallons easily done, only thing to mod would be the filler neck and a way to mount it.

As of now I don't have an aux. tank under there and being retired I don't really want to throw 700+ $ at a gas tank, I'd rather use those $ for traveling money or other upgrades.

I have looked at your pics and although they help it's still hard to judge weather or not there's room to put the tank under there. Our trike frame does not have the tank mount tabs from the factory.

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/members/berngren-albums-trike-assembly.html[/QUOTE]

Since I'll be putting in a tank of as yet undetermined origin under there, I'll aim for the gas filler to be on the left side since that's normally where I am when fueling the bike. Thanks for the pic link.

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/members/berngren-albums-trike-completed-10-08-2011.html[/QUOTE]

The body it's self only has 4 bolts holding it on, all the work is in removing everything else.

Seats
grab handles
Antenna's
trunk
Body

Sorry didn't get step by step pictures. :Shrug:

Here we go :) sound right?

To get the body off there are 6 brackets attaching it to the frame. It is fairly easy to do but it will take some time. Hannigan put everthing together with plug connections so all you have to do is unplug, unbolt and lift it off so it keeps things simple.

Here is a list to get the body off:
1. remove both seats
2. unplug wiring connections under passenger seat
3. remove 6 bolts in bottom of tour pack trunk
4. lift off trunk as a unit, i.e. trunk and armrests are still attached
5. remove 4 CB mounting bolts, unplug antenna and remove CB unit
6. remove antenna brackets ( I don't use antennas )
7. remove passenger grab bars 10mm bolt on top and 5mm allen wrench, you have to go in through the hole where the trunk was to get to the allen bolt
8. remove passenger floorboards, 5mm allen head
9. unplug wiring harness going to the rear lights, it runs back along the frame
10. undo the 6 brackets and it should lift free pretty easy with 2 people

Here we go :) sound right?

To get the body off there are 6 brackets attaching it to the frame. It is fairly easy to do but it will take some time. Hannigan put everthing together with plug connections so all you have to do is unplug, unbolt and lift it off so it keeps things simple.

Here is a list to get the body off:
1. remove both seats
2. unplug wiring connections under passenger seat
3. remove 6 bolts in bottom of tour pack trunk
4. lift off trunk as a unit, i.e. trunk and armrests are still attached
5. remove 4 CB mounting bolts, unplug antenna and remove CB unit
6. remove antenna brackets ( I don't use antennas )
7. remove passenger grab bars 10mm bolt on top and 5mm allen wrench, you have to go in through the hole where the trunk was to get to the allen bolt
8. remove passenger floorboards, 5mm allen head
9. unplug wiring harness going to the rear lights, it runs back along the frame
10. undo the 6 brackets and it should lift free pretty easy with 2 people

Think I'll pass......... ;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png