Dealer told me today why my TG runs hot

Skeet,

You dont have to goto Georgia to see the Wiz! The Wiz can and will take care of things right from his desktop!!! Dave got his name the Wizard, because he can truly tune a bike anywhere in the world right from his desktop, I know he helped me get started with TTS. I just can not keep my hands out of it now. I think I'm hooked.

You only need a few things after you get the TTS software.

1. Know where to hook the TTS cable in. If it is a Triglide then the connector is under the side panel on the left side of the bike. The TTS connector is designed to only plug into the correct connector.

2. Get teamviewer, just the free version.

You will then be all set to have the Wiz tune your bike. You will have to go for some Vtune rides but the Wiz will guide you through that process when it is time!!!! Vtuning can be a pain in the butt, I take my son along with me and he watches the laptop and tells me what I need to do to get all the cells green. Vtuning requires you to ride the bike differently then you would normally ride, but again the Wiz will give you instructions on how to do it!! The Wiz is the best at this stuff!!!!!

By the way, I was wondering if there was anyway I could send you a request for money too????? lol.

Good luck with your issues, after changing my air cleaner to stage 1, changing head pipes to the sportpipe and installing new mufflers the bike runs much cooler and runs far better than the stock configuration did! Just got 40 MPG on back roads with no ping or heat!!

Ride Safe and Enjoy!

Thanks for all the info, but I know that you may not belive this, but I do not own a laptop. Yes, it will cost me in gas to haul the tg to Wiz, but I would feel so much better having someone who knows what they are doing then me trying to have someone talk me thru it.

By the way am I going in the right direction, the software is loaded on the laptop, then you work from there, and do not have to be online for the Vtunes? Reason why, my daughter has an older HP that has issues of staying online and staying charged, so I'm out of luck on that.

Karen

When you get here I'll let you ride mine down the road... Bring shorts.

:D:D

We'll get your TG tuned up, no worries. If you can't find someone to install the pipe and stuff then bring it with you. As far as the TTS stuff.. No touchie, touchie without calling me. Yes?

Skeet7373..........Not sure if this pertains to your TriGlide or not, but just wanted to mention it FWIW........

On the valve clatter.........If you had been running heavier weight oil during the hotter riding season, straight 50W or straight 60W for example, and haven't changed back to 20W50 now that the ambient temps are cooler outside, that can cause some valve clatter and make one think that the hydraulic lifters are bleeding down.

Sometimes simply changing to the appropriate weight oil for the season can eliminate that valve clatter.

May or may not apply in your case, just wanted to toss that out there........

Ride Safe ThumbUp

When you get here I'll let you ride mine down the road... Bring shorts.

:D:D

We'll get your TG tuned up, no worries. If you can't find someone to install the pipe and stuff then bring it with you. As far as the TTS stuff.. No touchie, touchie without calling me. Yes?

So, just hang on and yell "OH POOTIE"...FS took my order today, should see the stuff hopefully next week.

Your going to be amazed at the difference once Mr Wizard finishes the tune.

I can't wait to ride his to see the difference. Wiz recommended a set of 4" CVO mufflers, but I cannot find a set for less then $200-250 anywhere plus shipping. So, got to thinking the darn things are not seen except the ends, and the new end caps that Fullsac does look good. I started to look for a stock set, can't find any of those for less then $75 plus ship. By the time I bought the stock set, shipped to FS, had them recore them and add the end cap, would be more than just buying a set from them. They should be sent today. Alice at Fullsac was going to pick out a set for me herself. When everything get here, I'll see if I can find help to install all but the tuner, if not will be traveling to Ga with a trailer full of TG and parts. I'm so excited to finally get some performance, and help with the heat issue, I do hope my fuel mileage increases a little, it bad right now. We'll see pepper

I'm so excited to finally get some performance, and help with the heat issue, I do hope my fuel mileage increases a little, it bad right now. We'll see pepper

There is a possibility you could see a little better mileage, a more efficient engine makes more power which equates to less throttle opening to do the same amount of work.

Skeet you are in good hands! I bought TTS from Fulsac too. I didn't know diddly about TTS until Wiz yanked my choke chain a couple times. Best thing he did for me was to help me help myself. So watch closely and ask alot of questions. And please please please use his file name system. It works!!!!!!

Cool, I just gotta learn it first. all the goodies are in shipment. I rode today from Hermitage, Tn to florance alabama to meet some friends at the Trail of Tears. I got there just as the ride from Chattanooga finished filing in. Walked around for a short time, drank two bottles of water, then rode back with a group of people.Riding down the interestate at 70 mph she rattled alot. Then on a large 4 lane at 60mph, she didn't rattle as much. I noticed that anything above 2500 rpm she rattled and pinged. On the way back the temp dropped but the humidity was still high that it felt damp. We rode the Natchez Trace as it clouded up we started to dodge deer, turkeys and those darn bicyclist. They usually are great to share the road, but when they want to ride side by side, it becomes a problem. With the lower speed of 50-60 she didn't rattle on the parkway. Its very controlled by the pole-eece! So, getting all the goodies will be fun to have a better running trike and some what cooler.

Cool, I just gotta learn it first. all the goodies are in shipment. I rode today from Hermitage, Tn to florance alabama to meet some friends at the Trail of Tears. I got there just as the ride from Chattanooga finished filing in. Walked around for a short time, drank two bottles of water, then rode back with a group of people.Riding down the interestate at 70 mph she rattled alot. Then on a large 4 lane at 60mph, she didn't rattle as much. I noticed that anything above 2500 rpm she rattled and pinged. On the way back the temp dropped but the humidity was still high that it felt damp. We rode the Natchez Trace as it clouded up we started to dodge deer, turkeys and those darn bicyclist. They usually are great to share the road, but when they want to ride side by side, it becomes a problem. With the lower speed of 50-60 she didn't rattle on the parkway. Its very controlled by the pole-eece! So, getting all the goodies will be fun to have a better running trike and some what cooler.

Yep O'l Wiz will be able to make that rattling a thing of the past, plus give you a smoother running engine.

Don't give up, it is fixable. I am installing a fuel/air gage on my yamaha 1700. I have a carburator, easy to get it right then for mileage and heat.
Exhaust has to be open too.

Yep O'l Wiz will be able to make that rattling a thing of the past, plus give you a smoother running engine.

Am following that there's a number of issues that Wiz will be helping Skeet sort out and that's great ThumbUp

Have a question on this "rattling". I enjoy learning about different bikes even tho' I may never own various models and newer bikes are more space age to this aging dinosaur, LOL!

Is this a mechanical rattle ? If it is, what's causing it and is it safe to continue riding the trike before the source of the problem has been sorted ?

Thanx in advance and Ride Safe.....

Is this a mechanical rattle ? If it is, what's causing it and is it safe to continue riding the trike before the source of the problem has been sorted ?

It depends on how bad the rattle is. For the most part it is preignition or spark knock. If it's bad then it will damage your motor. (period)

Knock every now and then when pulling a load or kicking the bike in the butt is normal. Not so normal for a properly tuned bike though. Skeet needs a tune on her TG. There is no doubt about it. If she continues to ride then there is a danger of melting a piston, scoring the cylinder walls or worse.. locking the motor up due to the heat factor.

It depends on how bad the rattle is. For the most part it is preignition or spark knock. If it's bad then it will damage your motor. (period)

Knock every now and then when pulling a load or kicking the bike in the butt is normal. Not so normal for a properly tuned bike though. Skeet needs a tune on her TG. There is no doubt about it. If she continues to ride then there is a danger of melting a piston, scoring the cylinder walls or worse.. locking the motor up due to the heat factor.

Thanx very much, Wiz ThumbUp Am aware of the dangers of preignition with it's associated pinging and possible top-end meltdown, but wasn't aware of the rattling aspect. The new school of thought being to set 'em lean, but not so lean that it pushes it over the edge into the danger zone of preignition.

If the rattling is valve train noise (I dunno, but wondering) that would spook me enough to suggest "Easy does it, Skeet. Hang in there until Wiz gets your TriGlide running tip-top" :)

Thanx once again and Ride Safe...........ThumbUp

Am following that there's a number of issues that Wiz will be helping Skeet sort out and that's great ThumbUp

Have a question on this "rattling". I enjoy learning about different bikes even tho' I may never own various models and newer bikes are more space age to this aging dinosaur, LOL!

Thanx in advance and Ride Safe.....

Wiz hit the mark, rattling or pinging is a bad thing if its constant and unchecked. Here is a piston damaged from pinging (not one of mine).

pistonob.jpg

Wiz hit the mark, rattling or pinging is a bad thing if its constant and unchecked. Here is a piston damaged from pinging (not one of mine).

pistonob.jpg

*ouch*.........the side of that piston crown looks like it shook hands with an open valve. Definitely all the more reason to go easy until everything gets sorted out.

Thanx to you as well, Mike and Ride Safe...........ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png