GL1500 or GL1800?

Sep 24, 2012
Mico, TX.
I currently ride a GL1800HPA (2006). I want to go to a trike but the bucks are a big consideration on our limited budget. Last year we ran up the credit card with a lot of doctor bills so I am loathe to take out a big loan unless it really makes a lot of sense. I see a lot of NICE and low mile mid to late 90s GL1500 trikes. Would one of those make sense in my situation? Does a GL1800 hold that much advantage as far as a motorcycle goes? By the way I am a sane adult capable of good judgement at times and just looking for other opinions. Thanks in advance - wg

Although I never owned one, but know quite a few people who do including my brother-in-law, I think a 1500 will do just fine as a trike. Supposedly, they have more room (for the driver) then the 1800's and run just as smoothly. You do have to remember that the 1500 is a carbureted engine, not fuel injected like the 1800 so you do have to contend with a choke. (and I'm not saying that in a negative sense!)

If the price is right, go for it! There's quite a few excellent, low mileage 1500s out there. ThumbUp

I suspect I can figure out what to do with carburetors ehehehe Google my handle and see what comes up. I hope some folks chime in who have owned both type trikes and can make critical distinctions if there are any.
wg

Although I never owned one, but know quite a few people who do including my brother-in-law, I think a 1500 will do just fine as a trike. Supposedly, they have more room (for the driver) then the 1800's and run just as smoothly. You do have to remember that the 1500 is a carbureted engine, not fuel injected like the 1800 so you do have to contend with a choke. (and I'm not saying that in a negative sense!)

If the price is right, go for it! There's quite a few excellent, low mileage 1500s out there. ThumbUp

I've owned a 1500 and have ridden several 1800. The 1800 naturally has more power. That's not to say the 1500 is under powered because it is not. The 1500 does have a little better rider fit for the bigger riders. The 1500 is every bit as good as the 1800 just not as new. The 1500 will provide good service well over 100k miles even 200k just like the 1800. You will not go wrong on a 1500

I started with a 1500 Motor Trike and then moved up to an 1800 Motor Trike a couple years later. To be perfectly honest with you, after getting used to the extra power and torque of the 1800, I think I would not be happy going back to the 1500. But that's just me.

One thing to consider would be if you own your 1800 free and clear, you have better than half of the trike already paid for. There are trike kits on the market that you could buy an build yourself if you have the mechanical ability that I lacked. I had to have a dealer build my trike for me which added to the final cost. To buy a kit and have it installed would probably run you in the neighborhood of 12 to 13,000.00 Kits alone are probably in the $10,000.00 price range. I don't know what the used 1500's are selling for. Either machine will give you years of reliable service and great riding.

Have owned both a '95 gl1500SE Motor Trike and now a 2004 Champion. Loved the 1500, and would have been happily still riding it had we not had some misfortune a year ago this past September. (If you are interested, story here: http://www.triketalk.com/forum/general-discussion-5/tale-tell-8720/ )

Aside from the styling, there isn't that much difference I can tell between the two rides -
> Carb vs Fuel Injection - It is nice just turning the GL1800's key and going, don't have to worry about the choke and warming up.
> There is more storage in the stock 1500 trunk. - The 1500 trund is more square, and has more usable space.
> Parts availability - The last 1500 was made from "88 to 2000, and it is getting harder to find some parts, and even some shops won't work in them. The 1800 came out in 2001 and ran until 2010 (no 2011's made) with only relatively minor changes. Even the 2012 has many parts that will transfer to the earlier models and vice versa.

Cost - a good 1500 can be had from the mid-teens to the low 20's, an 1800 will most likely run in the low to high 20's, new I have seen up in the 40's :)AGGHH:)
wingking51 had the most cost saving idea. there are a few trike kit makers that will sell to a private party, Roadsmith, Champion, Mystery Designs, Frankenstien Trikes to name a few.
As an example - The Champion solid axle, basic kit with EZ steer will run you about $8000, you assemble and paint, there are options of course for extra cost.
If you like your current ride and it is good shape the most cost effective course is probably triking it. Even loaded with options and having an installer put it together you will get it at less than a good late model 1500 optioned as you want it.

Most of the major kit makers who sell kits for the GL1800 require a $1000 or more for paint match and an ez steer kit is another grand. By the time you are done, you can hardly find a "kit" for under $11K. Then I do the install. I can find an early 2000s GL1800 trike with the kit already installed and low mileage for low 20s. I have my eye on a 2008 right now with a solid axle Motor Trike & EZ steer for $22K (low miles). This would put me in a GL1800 for $7 to 9K (over the price of my bike's value). This is cheaper than the kit some have advised. If I buy a GL1500 trike for $15-17K this is only $2-4K over the value of my bike so that is why I am looking at the idea. That eBay $11K buy it now 97 is exactly what I am talking about. Looks like a wonderful buy.

Ended up putting a deposit down on a 1997 GL1500 w/Roadsmith IRS, running boards and EZ steer (all new install) from KD Cycle in Altoona. I have been impressed with their professionalism so far. Will pick up in next couple weeks. Unfortunately, the bike was posted on eBay and CL and ads were pulled down before I could get pics. It is right at 1000 miles each way to pick up so I will get plenty of photo ops during the trip.

Congratulations on your upcoming new ride! :10:

I bought my trike from KD Cycle. You'll have a pleasant visit with them. Kevin and Kenny are great folks and will address any questions or concerns you may have. I think you'll also get a kick out of where they're located. Talk about isolated, lol :laugh:ThumbUp

I live on CR 2701 in Medina Co. TX... The county painted a big RED X in the middle of the road outside my place to mark "MIDDLE OF NOWHERE" bwhahahaha I know how this feels.

Although the 1500 bike is great, I owned one for 10 years, the newer trike technology on the 1800's is far superior IMO. To me that would be of greater concern than whether I'm riding a 1500 or 1800.

That said, the newest 1500 is now 12 years old. Although the drivetrain may still be good I would worry about age related degradation of wiring, hoses, gaskets, etc. Additionally, many Honda dealers won't work on anything over 10 years old.

Not saying a 1500 is a bad decision, just bringing up points to consider. Good luck in your quest.

I live on CR 2701 in Medina Co. TX... The county painted a big RED X in the middle of the road outside my place to mark "MIDDLE OF NOWHERE" bwhahahaha I know how this feels.

Well at least you know your way to... :D

Utopia-1.jpg

Did anyone see the movie "7 Days in Utopia"? Robert Duvall played an aging golf pro who mentored a young tour pro who had life and attitude problems. When the good journaists at Fox News were discussing the movie, they said the town was ficticious hehe It was actually a decent movie... the cast often ate in the Los Maples.

I was always told if you like your 1500 don't ride a 1800, this being said are you prepared to go backwards. Don't get me wrong, I have two 1500's that I enjoy. I have my 89 two-wheeler and my 2000 SE CSC Trike. The only 1800 I have ever ridden is a CSC demo with independent suspension. The 1800 definitely rode better, if I had only one bike it would probably have independent suspension. Good luck in your choice.

Did anyone see the movie "7 Days in Utopia"? Robert Duvall played an aging golf pro who mentored a young tour pro who had life and attitude problems. When the good journaists at Fox News were discussing the movie, they said the town was ficticious hehe It was actually a decent movie... the cast often ate in the Los Maples.

The trailer can be seen here.

Seven Days in Utopia (2011) - IMDb

Now we go back on topic... I think.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hondatrike

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hondatrike
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png