New Tourpak bulbs - LED conversion complete

Jul 15, 2011
Wichita, KS
Since I converted the taillights on my TriGlide to LED, including the addition of a high-mount third brake light, I wanted to do something about the bulbs in the tourpak. The OEM tourpak bulbs are just your standard run-of-the-mill 1157 bulbs, acting as additional running lights and brake lights but lacking the performance and brightness of LED bulbs.

Researching this a bit, I found you can buy specially-designed boards consisting of an array of LEDs. Although they are nice, they have several drawbacks in my opinion: (1) They are quite expensive, (2) they require a bit of disassembly (removing the lenses from the tourpak which can be messy), and (3) they don't provide much light when looking at the bike from the sides.

So I looked around for a plug-and-play replacement and found these on eBay. These bulbs have 27 high-intensity "surface-mount device" (SMD) LEDs with six facing directly to the rear and the other 21 arranged in layers around the bulb. This produces light that's visible from all angles.

Although they took a while getting here, being shipped directly from China, I'm very satisfied with them. They produce very bright red illumination to the tourpak, especially from the sides, and being LED technology they provide that "instant on" performance as expected from an LED bulb. They are true plug-and-play and have no clearance issues whatsoever. They cost $23 for two bulbs with free shipping.

You may be able to find similar bulbs in your local AutoZone, Pep Boys, or other automotive parts retailer but I never took the time to drive all over town to see.

I think this is a good bang-for-your-buck way to go without going overboard on cost.

Tourpak_Bulbs_01.jpg

Tourpak_Bulbs_02.jpg

Tourpak_Bulbs_03.jpg

(click on photos to see full-size image)

No, no load equalizer is needed for the tourpak as they operate only as running lights and aux brake lights; the tourpak does not have turn-signal functionality as wired from the factory.

The high-mount brake light is a universal light-bar from Custom Dynamics. I wired it directly to the light harness in the tourpak. Although the lightbar has dual-intensity capability, I wanted it to light up only when the brake is activated. I feel this makes it more attention-getting.

The tail lights came from HD and the kit includes a new run / brake / turn signal module that replaces the stock module. The new module ensures the fender lamps operate correctly. It also allowed me to convert my front turn signals to LED without having to purchase any additional components other than the bulbs.

Looks good thanks for the research I have seen these in the J & P catalog but they are $49 ea so your 2 for $23 was a great deal even if you have to wait a couple of weeks.

No, no load equalizer is needed for the tourpak as they operate only as running lights and aux brake lights; the tourpak does not have turn-signal functionality as wired from the factory.

The high-mount brake light is a universal light-bar from Custom Dynamics. I wired it directly to the light harness in the tourpak. Although the lightbar has dual-intensity capability, I wanted it to light up only when the brake is activated. I feel this makes it more attention-getting.

The tail lights came from HD and the kit includes a new run / brake / turn signal module that replaces the stock module. The new module ensures the fender lamps operate correctly. It also allowed me to convert my front turn signals to LED without having to purchase any additional components other than the bulbs.

Which kit did you acquire for the tail lights?

TKS"
G

Which kit did you acquire for the tail lights?

TKS"
G

I just installed the 1157-x45-T and am disappointed with them. I replaced the right side of the tour-pack and compared both side's and could hardly tell the difference. They do draw less power so will leave them in. I have converted the tour-pak to turn signals but that shouldn't make a difference.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png