tires again!!!!!!!!

Jun 4, 2014
Delray Beach, Florida
I know a tire and/or oil thread can be very subjective and we all have favorites. My question is concerning tire PRESSURES. I'm trying to rule out "head shake", as far as tire pressures. Started high 28 RR & 27 LR to compensate for a natural pull to the left of the trike. Went to 27/26, then 25/24. Shake is around 40 mph but when I downshift or touch the rear brakes it starts to smooth out. Front is at 41 lbs. What's your experience on pressures? Should I keep both rears same lbs?
Trike is a 2003 GW1800 with Roadsmith IRS conversion. Michelin Macadam 130-70-18 (mounted reverse), rears are Hankook Ventus 215-45R-17. No rake. Recently purchased the bike.
Thanks, Ron

I know a tire and/or oil thread can be very subjective and we all have favorites. My question is concerning tire PRESSURES. I'm trying to rule out "head shake", as far as tire pressures. Started high 28 RR & 27 LR to compensate for a natural pull to the left of the trike. Went to 27/26, then 25/24. Shake is around 40 mph but when I downshift or touch the rear brakes it starts to smooth out. Front is at 41 lbs. What's your experience on pressures? Should I keep both rears same lbs?
Trike is a 2003 GW1800 with Roadsmith IRS conversion. Michelin Macadam 130-70-18 (mounted reverse), rears are Hankook Ventus 215-45R-17. No rake. Recently purchased the bike.
Thanks, Ron

Ron, I think we need to revisit the raked front issue before obsessing over rear tires. Not that they can't be the problem but I'm pretty sure a 5.5 or 6 degree rake kit would fix your head shake.

Along with the rake you would get tapered head bearings (one of the few Gl1800 weak points) that would also help.

I hope you get the problem solved.

Ron, I think we need to revisit the raked front issue before obsessing over rear tires. Not that they can't be the problem but I'm pretty sure a 5.5 or 6 degree rake kit would fix your head shake.

Along with the rake you would get tapered head bearings (one of the few Gl1800 weak points) that would also help.

I hope you get the problem solved.
Thanks, I know a rake kit would help but right now my allowance is gone so I'm trying to improve the trike w/o spending $$. Just looking for opinions.......... Thanks, Ron

What's your experience on pressures? Should I keep both rears same lbs?

Ron, I keep both the same around 23 lbs. You said it goes away when you downshift. Maybe now that it is heavier and has a different drive unit since triking you are running in too high a gear. I had probems if I went into 5th under 50 mph (2000 rpms) after triking but when on 2 wheels it was fine. I doubt different tire pressures would make any difference with head shake, only making the ride more or less smoother.

Ron, I keep both the same around 23 lbs. You said it goes away when you downshift. Maybe now that it is heavier and has a different drive unit since triking you are running in too high a gear. I had probems if I went into 5th under 50 mph (2000 rpms) after triking but when on 2 wheels it was fine. I doubt different tire pressures would make any difference with head shake, only making the ride more or less smoother.

Downshifting when coming to a stop (red light), seems to smooth the head shake also. I'm used to pulling in the clutch too soon as I did on 2 wheels. Still trying to get used to 3, I think.

With all due respect and no offense,,,
You are wasting your time messing with pressures (or other Band-Aid quick/cheap Cures) in an attempt to correct the undesirable effects of your Trike's Geometric Issue.
Not gonna solve it and just end up causing more (probably worse) problems in other areas.

The fact that the effects lessen when down-shifting or braking is Tell-Tale.
Doing those transfers most of the operational Forces that normally translate forward back to the Rear isolating the Front.

Run your Pressures where RS says you should.
Altering Pressures to mask other issues is like patching a hole in the Wall with pieces of your Foundation.

With all due respect and no offense,,,
You are wasting your time messing with pressures (or other Band-Aid quick/cheap Cures) in an attempt to correct the undesirable effects of your Trike's Geometric Issue.
Not gonna solve it and just end up causing more (probably worse) problems in other areas.

No offense taken. Your advise would be appreciated. Ron

Just to be sure, as others have said, check Head-Nut TQ (maybe go a tad tighter to the very top of the TQ Spec window per RS) and make sure rear Tires/Wheels are properly balanced.
If one or both of those need some attention and correction you should notice the Wobble diminish afterward but it will not go completely away.
Smaller possibility (depending on who did the Install) but you might have a qualified and experienced Shop check the rear Trike alignment as well.

If those are "good",,,
See Laser's Post above.

Hopefully you been good this past year and Santy will leave you a +6* Tree in your Stocking :D
Maybe post a WTB Classified just in case somebody has a good used one laying on the shelf....? Stranger things have happened.

I have no head shake at any speed. Can stupidly ride hands off down to 10 Mph. No rake. Can ride down to 25 mph in 5th and accelerate back to 55 mph. Sometimes I ride almost all day in 5th. Check head bearing tightness. Jack up front of trike. See how loose the steering is. If the bars just easily flop back and forth it is way too loose for a trike. Check rear end alignment . Measure right rear tire to front axle and left rear tire to front axle. Or just pick a frame point to measure both rear tires to. When I was running my 1980 wing with Voyager I had the handle bar slap below 35 mph. I could never get rid of it, but could move it up to 40 or down to 30 by increasing or decreasing tire pressure. More pressure higher speed. Your rear tires were speed balanced not bubble balanced. Had mine done to 85 mph. Good luck with the cure.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png