First impression of new Avon Cobra Trike front tire

Mar 29, 2011
mountain home,ar. USA
Had it installed today and then did a 30 miles test run. I'm impressed! The tire virtually removed all the "harshness" associated with the bias-belted, heavy walled, sport bike rear tire. Small, sharp road imperfections that used to rattle my windshield were gone. The larger ones softened dramatically. Yet the tire felt well planted to the road at all speeds up to 75 mph. It tracked well in both straight line and curves.

As it is brand new and not broken it I did not push it very hard today. I will do a follow up later on. Suffice it to say that at first glance I am very impressed with this baby. Avon may have really come through for us Gold Wing trikers.

Also, according to Avon the pressure should be between 40 - 42 psi. I ran it at 42 psi today and will keep it there until I put a few hundred miles on it. I will probably experiment with the 40 psi setting later.

I found this one for $162 with free shipping. If it gets more mileage and continues to handle as well as I think it will it will be worth every penny.

Yes, it is a radial. This is the tire Avon designed specifically to be trike front tire.

Found this one at Dennis Kirk. According to what I've been told, the distributors now have them in stock so they should be available from several sources who normally sell Avon tires.

I would expect to see other tire manufactures start to sell their particular trike tires and create some competition. This should drive prices down. It does look promising and maybe a good replacement when the time comes. Thanks for the report.

The new Avon Cobra Trike tire is specifically designed for a trike so I assume they built the sidewalls to withstand the load. So far in the hard twisties I have not felt any "tire squirm" indicating the sidewalls are unduly flexing.

The reason you hear not to run a radial is because the current selection of radial front tires were designed for bikes, not trikes, and their sidewalls are not strong enough. Most bike front, radial tires will wear out in 5-7,000 miles.

GL1500 Trike (Baron UK)
Fitted mine 3 days ago and ran it at 26psi for 100k to scrub it. That was fine. Now up to 36psi and handling much improved. Rears are new Yokohama's at 18psi. Can definitely recommend this Tyre..has a tall mid section and makes the Trike stand up a bit. Mileage of course will be the proving test.;)

I had mine mounted about a month ago and I can attest to everything mhgoldwing is saying, the tire rides much smoother and stays planted in the curves, I too am very impressed with the tire, next hurdle is mileage, if it holds up like I am hoping, it will be a hot tire for trikes.ThumbUp

I had mine mounted about a month ago and I can attest to everything mhgoldwing is saying, the tire rides much smoother and stays planted in the curves, I too am very impressed with the tire, next hurdle is mileage, if it holds up like I am hoping, it will be a hot tire for trikes.ThumbUp

Glad to hear it. I'm still impressed with mine after 3,000 miles. The handling and ride is so much better that I get the same mileage as the BT45 I will purchase the Avon Cobra Trike tire again. Big, big difference. :)

Had it installed today and then did a 30 miles test run. I'm impressed! The tire virtually removed all the "harshness" associated with the bias-belted, heavy walled, sport bike rear tire. Small, sharp road imperfections that used to rattle my windshield were gone. The larger ones softened dramatically. Yet the tire felt well planted to the road at all speeds up to 75 mph. It tracked well in both straight line and curves.

As it is brand new and not broken it I did not push it very hard today. I will do a follow up later on. Suffice it to say that at first glance I am very impressed with this baby. Avon may have really come through for us Gold Wing trikers.

Also, according to Avon the pressure should be between 40 - 42 psi. I ran it at 42 psi today and will keep it there until I put a few hundred miles on it. I will probably experiment with the 40 psi setting later.
found this thread and would like an update on the Avon; question, can it be driven with out air in the tire?; ie i drove my BT45 50 miles w/o air when the valve stem broke.

The Avon Cobra Trike front tire IS NOT A RUN-FLAT!!! Since it's a radial and designed for the front I doubt seriously the sidewalls are nearly as stiff as the BT45 which it what allowed you to run it flat. (Although I am amazed that it did)

Same here. When it's time for a new front tire, the Avon Trike tire is my choice. I've bought several tires from Dennis Kirk, so they will be my first stop to buy the Avon.

Avon Cobra

Just installed one this morning. It will take several thousand miles before I have and opinion. I've heard a lot of good about it. It will be a year or so until I know what kind of millage I will get. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png