Really don't know what or which trike to buy. I am a novice looking at several model

Jun 26, 2015
Stafford, Va
Really don't know what or which trike to buy. I am a novice looking at several model

Hello, I am really looking for some good advice. I recently got my M3 license here in Va. I am looking for a trike but which one I do not know at this time. I have ridden the "spyder" which I liked, but then i rode a Harley Trike and liked that as well ( Tri-glide). Then on the different forums several people have mentioned the benefits of riding a Honda GL conversion trike ( CSC, Roadsmith, etc...). So at this point I am major confused. I plan on going and riding a Harley triglide tomorrow again. any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have heard that the Harley's have more maitance then then Honda's.... So I don't know thanks, Don

Hello, I am really looking for some good advice. I recently got my M3 license here in Va. I am looking for a trike but which one I do not know at this time. I have ridden the "spyder" which I liked, but then i rode a Harley Trike and liked that as well ( Tri-glide). Then on the different forums several people have mentioned the benefits of riding a Honda GL conversion trike ( CSC, Roadsmith, etc...). So at this point I am major confused. I plan on going and riding a Harley triglide tomorrow again. any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have heard that the Harley's have more maitance then then Honda's.... So I don't know thanks, Don

Don you pose a real problem. The first you have to determine what you like. Spyders, GW Conversions, Harley Tri Glides they are all different animals.

Spyders and Harley TRI/FREEWHEELER are factory built. Provides for warrantees and a dealer network for service and repairs. If you are the type of owner that needs a dealer network then you can cut down on your choices to factory built trikes.

If you can do some stuff on your own then you can add in the conversions. For the conversions the motorcycle part of the trike can be serviced by the dealers and after market network for service shops. Most warrantee on the bike part would have a strong possibility of being compromised by the conversion.

As far as maintenance Harleys and Goldwings both have to be maintained. There really is not a great difference in cost. Alot of people get alot a miles out of wings. But in reallity few of any of us keep either for long enough to make a difference.

First decide which category your skills are at as far as needing a factory trike or not. Then look at all the conversions and decide which one you like best. If it's a conversion and you are going to have it done the installer is the next most important thing.

If you are going to buy used then your likes and available service becomes important. All the major conversions are good.

Browse the different forums on this web site there is ALOT of great information available to help you make a good decision. Got a question shot it at us. You will get a straight answer. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Good luck

I own a 2009 TG and love it. One thing to remember the TG was designed from the ground up to be a trike. The conversion may very well be a good trike but not designed to be a trike. The TG has a different frame than a 2 wheeled bike.

I will add this....not knocking the Harley TriGlides, but they have had their fair share of issues, probably as many or more than most conversions so dont let the factory built thing sway you. Also the TriGlides are rather hot, are solid axle rear ends and therefore they do ride rougher than the IRS conversions do. I'm not bashing the Harleys at all I own a Harley Ultra trike with a new IRS Hannigan kit. Try several before you make your decision. I'd suggest riding both Harleys and Hondas before you buy.

Boy, Gorilla just about laid it all out. But as we all know, it will boil down to your riding preferences (some of us like HD, some Honda, some others) and probably most importantly (well, for some of us) is the final cost.

I doubt you'd be disappointed with either HD or Honda. Ride many then decide.

Oh yeah, take the better half along. If she ain't happy with the ride, it won't be long before you won't be either. :D

5 years ago I had a Honda GL1800 with a Motortrike conversion. It was a great trike but the wife and I were coming home from a trip and the trike broke down in a little town in Arkansas. I called several Honda shops (some were over 100 miles away) and they didn't really want to work on it. I finally determined that the problem was with the conversion kit and not the motorcycle so I called Motortrike and they did come through with the name of a sort of nearby dealer who came and picked it up and fixed it. Motortrike took care of the parts and labor since the conversion kit was under warranty but we lost 1-1/2 days getting it fixed. After a couple of more 2 wheelers we now have a trike again. This time I bought a factory trike from Harley Davidson because of the warranty. If I break down on the road there is no question of who to call as the entire trike is covered under warranty by Harley. Even after the warranty is out if I have a problem on the road I just call the nearest Harley shop to get it fixed. I do all of my own maintenance and repairs but if you are on the road and break down you probably don't have the tools you need or the parts so you have to find someone to fix it and if it is a factory made trike it is easier.

Can Am and Harley have factory trikes and now Victory has a trike available in partnership with Lehman/Champion that is ordered through Victory and fully covered under a Victory warranty.

Sunman

Good points!

5 years ago I had a Honda GL1800 with a Motortrike conversion. It was a great trike but the wife and I were coming home from a trip and the trike broke down in a little town in Arkansas. I called several Honda shops (some were over 100 miles away) and they didn't really want to work on it. I finally determined that the problem was with the conversion kit and not the motorcycle so I called Motortrike and they did come through with the name of a sort of nearby dealer who came and picked it up and fixed it. Motortrike took care of the parts and labor since the conversion kit was under warranty but we lost 1-1/2 days getting it fixed. After a couple of more 2 wheelers we now have a trike again. This time I bought a factory trike from Harley Davidson because of the warranty. If I break down on the road there is no question of who to call as the entire trike is covered under warranty by Harley. Even after the warranty is out if I have a problem on the road I just call the nearest Harley shop to get it fixed. I do all of my own maintenance and repairs but if you are on the road and break down you probably don't have the tools you need or the parts so you have to find someone to fix it and if it is a factory made trike it is easier. Can Am and Harley have factory trikes and now Victory has a trike available in partnership with Lehman/Champion that is ordered through Victory and fully covered under a Victory warranty. Sunman

Good points! I didn't think about the breakdowns. I will look into the Victory built trikes!

- - - Updated - - -

Don you pose a real problem. The first you have to determine what you like. Spyders, GW Conversions, Harley Tri Glides they are all different animals.

Spyders and Harley TRI/FREEWHEELER are factory built. Provides for warrantees and a dealer network for service and repairs. If you are the type of owner that needs a dealer network then you can cut down on your choices to factory built trikes.

If you can do some stuff on your own then you can add in the conversions. For the conversions the motorcycle part of the trike can be serviced by the dealers and after market network for service shops. Most warrantee on the bike part would have a strong possibility of being compromised by the conversion.

As far as maintenance Harleys and Goldwings both have to be maintained. There really is not a great difference in cost. Alot of people get alot a miles out of wings. But in reallity few of any of us keep either for long enough to make a difference.

First decide which category your skills are at as far as needing a factory trike or not. Then look at all the conversions and decide which one you like best. If it's a conversion and you are going to have it done the installer is the next most important thing.

If you are going to buy used then your likes and available service becomes important. All the major conversions are good.

Browse the different forums on this web site there is ALOT of great information available to help you make a good decision. Got a question shot it at us. You will get a straight answer. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Good luck

Excellent information! This site and you guys are great!!!!

It's all going to come down to which one you like the most when you test ride...and try and make the test rides in a variety of different environments, interstate, country roads, city traffic. Even if you have to rent several to get enough seat time, that will be less expensive than buying one and ending up selling or trading it because it does not fit your needs/desires.

btw, you did not mention what you're getting the trike for? Commuting, long trips, weekend warrior, etc.??? That can have a big bearing on what would be best for you.

Have fun shopping!

Kevin

I can only repeat what others has said.
Test ride all you can, don't get in a hurry.
If you can rent one for a day that would be better, most will give your rent money back if you buy.
I spent over a month test riding before I made my decision.
Remember it's your decision to make, only limitations are what you think they should be.

What I am using the trike for?

It's all going to come down to which one you like the most when you test ride...and try and make the test rides in a variety of different environments, interstate, country roads, city traffic. Even if you have to rent several to get enough seat time, that will be less expensive than buying one and ending up selling or trading it because it does not fit your needs/desires. btw, you did not mention what you're getting the trike for? Commuting, long trips, weekend warrior, etc.??? That can have a big bearing on what would be best for you. Have fun shopping! Kevin

I am looking at using it to commute to work, ride on the weekends for day trips, long weekends, whatever I can get comfortable with. I am not sure how much interstate driving I will do to start with. To many crazy "car" drivers out there!

I will add this....not knocking the Harley TriGlides, but they have had their fair share of issues, probably as many or more than most conversions so dont let the factory built thing sway you. Also the TriGlides are rather hot, are solid axle rear ends and therefore they do ride rougher than the IRS conversions do. I'm not bashing the Harleys at all I own a Harley Ultra trike with a new IRS Hannigan kit. Try several before you make your decision. I'd suggest riding both Harleys and Hondas before you buy.

:Agree:My dads extended warranty paid for it self on his 09. When I traded in my 10, it had an electrical issue, leaking stator and bad compensator.

Test ride them for awhile and make your decision.

I ended up on the Spyder after trading in the TRIGLIDE.

The new 1330 Spyder is a dream to drive..:D

Anyway good luck on finding the ride you like and are comfortable on..

My only suggestion is to try as many as you can. The TriGlides are solid axle and you really should try something with IRS to see/feel the difference. Also with a Harley factory trike you get electric reverse. It's not the best IMO and you may prefer mechanical reverse. Many of the conversion kits available are top notch designs and construction and in many cases can outperform the factory built TriGlides and Freewheelers. There are a lot of good choices for you to make, but if you go Tri, Free, Spyder, or a good conversion, Harley, Honda, or some other make, you won't be making a poor decision, just a different one. There are many good choices to pick from.

Some of your choice may have to do with lifestyle.

Are you comfortable with the Harley crowd or do you feel more comfortable with the Honda crowd?

There is some crossover between them (after all we all like our trikes/bikes)...but there is a difference.

Being comfortable with your riding partners and their lifestyles, sometimes is a bigger issue to your better half than yourself.

Don

Others are giving you good advice and welcome to Trike Talk

I have a 2008 Harley Ultra converted by CSC two years ago and a
New 2014 Honda Gold Wing converted by CSC. I really like each of
the trikes.

What made the selection easy for me was a visit to the CSC factory in
Arrington, VA (near Colleen on Route 29) This should be a short ride for
you and they know trikes and do the manufacture of the kits in house
and also installation of any of there trike kits.

CSC also has demo trikes from the major manufactures so you can try a
Honda or a Harley, etc.

I suggest you visit CSC. I am in Lynchburg, VA so if you are down this way
send me a personal email and you are welcome to ride my trikes. And no
they are not for sale

BillG

If your on the younger side and like the foot behind lean froward stance go with the Spyder. You won't be able to work on it. Everything is computer controlled. Nothing in the way of after market add ons to make it your own. Dealers few and far between.

If you want a Cadilac ride with your feet straight down position go with the Goldwing. After you remove the tupperware you can work on it. Lots of aftermarket add ons to buy. Lots of honda dealers around. Any wrench can work on it.

If you want something that resembles a motorcycle with you feet forward in the cruiser stance, go with the Triglide or a conversion. Personally I would go with the conversion. Still feels like a motorcycle. Looks like a motorcycle. Open to many brands of bikes. All the after market stuff you could ask for. Water cooled bikes don't ride hot!!!!!Lots of wrenches around.

Attachments

• VTX done 005.JPG
    VTX done 005.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 59
Don

Others are giving you good advice and welcome to Trike Talk

I have a 2008 Harley Ultra converted by CSC two years ago and a
New 2014 Honda Gold Wing converted by CSC. I really like each of
the trikes.

What made the selection easy for me was a visit to the CSC factory in
Arrington, VA (near Colleen on Route 29) This should be a short ride for
you and they know trikes and do the manufacture of the kits in house
and also installation of any of there trike kits.

CSC also has demo trikes from the major manufactures so you can try a
Honda or a Harley, etc.

I suggest you visit CSC. I am in Lynchburg, VA so if you are down this way
send me a personal email and you are welcome to ride my trikes. And no
they are not for sale

BillG

Thanks! I might actually go down there next week. My son has orientation at UVA next Monday and Tuesday so I might head down to the factory on Monday evening.

I have had 2 H-D Triglides - they also have another 3 wheeler-called the Freewheeler-less costly.
I test road a IRS Harley trike conversion and a TG before buying. The IRS is great on bad roads, but no different on good roads, and since I ride on good roads 95% of the time, I thought the IRS was just way too much ($6K+) to spend.

There are also add on kits that are way less costly then a true 3 wheel conversion. Voyager and Tow-Pac are a couple.

I could NEVER ride a Spyder - it looks like I'm riding an ATV with all the stuff in front. And besides I don't like everything enclosed in plastic like the Gold Wing and Spyder.

I think the Harley unit has the most locations for resting your feet then any of the other mfg's.

Highway riding in my opinion is safer then then city streets - way more crazies there - plus all the %$#@ side streets.

As was said - the best advice is test/rent as many as you can - it is a big investment - and some people just can't handle a trike. I help my dealer when the H-D demo truck comes by each year. I am in charge to help all those that want to test the trikes. 95% of them are completely disorientated and confused when they first get on a trike. The BIGGEST problem is they keep putting their feet down on the ground, no matter how many time you tell them not to. :) It's a hard habit to break.

Make sure you really want a trike. My dealer had a customer that traded in his brand new 2015 TG with only 300 miles on it. It is a whole new way of riding. The confidence level goes through the roof if you are in the upper age category.

And don't believe anyone who says a trike can't handle as good as a 2 wheeler. I rode with some rice rockets on the BRP for 7 miles with no issues. I did have 4 years experience though and wouldn't try that right after getting a trike.
Good luck.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png