Voyager Shocks

Sep 27, 2014
Carmichael, CA, USA
I've been thinking about replacing the OEM shocks on my '06 kit with a set of Harley Touring air shocks. Thought it might add a little more balance to the rear Voyager suspension. Anyone else done this??

I would be cautious about changing the shocks on the Voyager kit. Stock ones are basically for rebound shock action, not for extension force. By replacing them with air shocks you would be introducing that extension force, which will directly push down on the rear axle mount points. That means you are changing the preload with every pound variation of air pressure - making the kit setup a 'moving object'. I wouldn't modify that area at all. Stick with the factory design.

(As memory serves me! I haven't had a Voyager kit for a couple of years now.)

After talking to a tech at the factory I found there's nothing mystical about the shocks on my '06 model. They actually were originally made to fit a pickup truck out of the '60's, and weren't being made any longer. So I gotta assume they have switched to something newer that will work.. All the air will do is make the shock a little stiffer. I'm not talking about a ton of air. Just enough to give them a little resistance, but most of all to make the resistance equal. Something individual shocks can't accomplish. I've have a set of Harley Touring Air Shocks. I'll let you know how they work out once I get in a wrenching mood.... :)

After talking to a tech at the factory I found there's nothing mystical about the shocks on my '06 model. They actually were originally made to fit a pickup truck out of the '60's, and weren't being made any longer. So I gotta assume they have switched to something newer that will work.. All the air will do is make the shock a little stiffer. I'm not talking about a ton of air. Just enough to give them a little resistance, but most of all to make the resistance equal. Something individual shocks can't accomplish. I've have a set of Harley Touring Air Shocks. I'll let you know how they work out once I get in a wrenching mood.... :)

So what was the verdict?

I had problems with mine coming out of preload and contacted the manufacture and they said the shocks were replaced with rubber dampers i ordered those and new lock blocks and it was fine for a month or so but now coming out of load more often i suspect the rubber dampers because they dont fit snug anymore thinking of getting car shocks again just dont know which ones

So what was the verdict? I had problems with mine coming out of preload and contacted the manufacture and they said the shocks were replaced with rubber dampers i ordered those and new lock blocks and it was fine for a month or so but now coming out of load more often i suspect the rubber dampers because they dont fit snug anymore thinking of getting car shocks again just dont know which ones

The verdict is the project is still on the 2do list. I have picked up a few needed air fittings from Harley, but that's as far as it's gotten. I had an overheat problem with my '07RSV and it's taken priority. Gotta watch it when riding in 112deg temps... :)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png