New CVO Mufflers

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
Okay .. I'll admit it, I must be getting old. The Vance and Hines circa 2002 4" mufflers were getting to me a bit on the highway. Also, there are not EPA complaint (no stamp) and we've had guys stopped at the Utah border and ticketed for non stamped slip ons.

So I went on a mission to find quiet, well performing slip ons. The CVO mufflers have always been the quietest performing mufflers I've seen. Found a set new on eBay (actually a right and left, contacted seller and offered him $150 for both shipped). They arrived Friday and I installed them today. I have three sets of baffles that "fit" the CVO cans and thought I'd play with them all. I also had a set of Ultra CVO cans that are about 3" longer than these.

My plan was to install them and play with baffles. Comparing performance, sound, mpg's. I never dreamed I would like the baffles that they came with. I'm guessing as quiet or quieter than stock. Only a slight performance drop (might just be less rumble) based on seat of pants dyno. Went on a 100 mile ride (around the valley, no highway) and got 42.1 mpg on the tank. I'll do a highway run tomorrow to test mpg's and climbing power (we have a 7% grade that's about a mile long). I can barely hear the pipes unless I get on it, and then it's barely noticeable. I like these slip ons, and I love how they look and are totally inside the bumper.

Here's some pics

2015-08-09 12.22.27.jpg2015-08-09 12.22.30.jpg2015-08-09 12.22.36.jpg

louder is not always better. I took off Big louies that were just loud. replaced them with SE Fatshotz which are stamped with a nice low sound. We can ride all day with no ear fatigue.

It's not getting older, it's just realizing we don't have to have the noise to enjoy the ride.

I grew tired of loud years ago, I always look for a way to make quiet power. I do believe loud will eventually cause more and more restrictions placed on motorcycles by states and local communities.

I'm quickly falling in like with these ... I think they are from a 2006 road king CVO. I did a ride today on the highway. 210 miles ... yes to Green River to get a burger ... LOL.

Had a slight tail wind going and slight head wind coming back. Did the whole trip in one tank, 5.41 gallons ... that's 38.8 mpg. I was doing 75 mph for the first and last 26 miles or 52 miles worth. The rest was at 80 mph (Utah has 80 mph on I70 now). Maybe 5 miles in Green River at most.

Power was really good. We have a 7% grade that's about a mile long. I use that to test power. I set the cruise at 75 mph, head up the hill. It's a fairly straight hill. Initially speed dropped to 73 mph as I started up, but the tri powered right up the hill and got back to 75 mph at about the 1/2 mile point. Not too shabby. I should mention I was in 6th. All in all, I'm really liking these slip ons. For $150 for two brand new ... not too shabby at all.

As a side note, I was able to slip into my garage today without Harley hearing me, a first. (My 5 lbm, one eyed yorkshire terrier. Lost his eye in a fight with our 140 lbm Rottweiler/Lab mix, he lost, but the Rotty knew she was in a fight.)

Mine are 11 CVO cans with 2" Fulsac cores...they were not so loud 20k miles ago...but now they really have a bite...I am looking for a set of 15 CVO SG takeoffs...will be leaving them stock...

Mine are 11 CVO cans with 2" Fulsac cores...they were not so loud 20k miles ago...but now they really have a bite...I am looking for a set of 15 CVO SG takeoffs...will be leaving them stock...

Just change the baffle to 1 1/8 inch baffle. The 2 inch is the best performer but the 17/8 inch will perform good and be a lot less sound. Im using the 2 inch fulsac cvo baffles on our flrt. Unless they have a dramatic increase in sound I'll be good for now.
I used the stock cvo mufflers on my street glide. Never changed em. They are hard to bear.

Okay ... so this ongoing saga continues.

I really like the quiet of these slip ons, but power and torque are off, and mpg's are down.

I took my Vance and Hines apart (baffles out), because the chrome was starting to peel, mostly up near the inlet where it didn't show, but I knew it was peeling and it bugged me. Threw the cans away, and test fit the baffles in the CVO cans. Fit is perfect. Result is an EPA stamped slip on, with Vance and Hines baffles, kinda kewl.

These Vance and Hines baffles were pretty good performers in the original cans, and the sound is fairly quiet and really deep. Because they are 4" can's, they don't drone on the highway, like some of the smaller slip ons. I did however notice a slight loss of torque, or at least I perceive a loss by the old seat of the pants dyno when compared to the screaming eagles. The screaming eagles (circa 06) are by far the best performing slip ons I've ever owned and I can live with the sound (wish it was deeper), but I hate the slash out look on the trike, and the stick out way past the bumper.

So I'm doing a $30.95 experiment. I've ordered a set of Thunder Torque Inserts (lollipops) from DK Customs. I was having a hard time determining which set I needed, but as always, ask for help and they are happy to help and even explain when you're confused (a semi natural state for me). Keven asked for some measurements and some pics looking in the slip on. Sent them to him and he confirmed which set would work best for my application. Something comforting about knowing you're ordering the right thing.

Anyway, got an email, already shipped (ordered last night). I've never used these some it's gonna be interesting to see how well they work. Keven tells me it's the most band for the buck performance upgrade out there. I'll keep you guys updated about performance and maybe even do a sound before and after video clip.

Here's the pics I sent him. One is a ways back from the slip on to show the end cap. The other is right in the slip on to show the neck down on the baffles.

2015-10-05 12.11.22.jpg2015-10-05 12.11.47.jpg

I am looking forward to 'hearing' your results.

If you don't mind me asking, is your rear bumper or 'trunk guard' from HD or is it aftermarket?

From HD ... at the time didn't know there where aftermarket ... but by buying it when I bought the trike, and having them install it (free), it is covered by the 2 year warrantee.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png