Front tire???

Jul 8, 2013
East China Michigan USA
Has anyone given any thought of "going dark" as far as the front tire is concerned? My Valkyrie trike"s front tire has about 3K on it. It's a Metzler. I have a 6* rake on it. It is already starting to cup. My question is: Has anyone ever used an auotmotive tire on the front? If not, why? You're not "leaning" the front like on two wheels, so, maybe you would have a more durable tire for the front??
Larry in East China Mi.

Actually I think that's a good question. Why not a car tire on the front since you don't lean. But aren't the front tires on bikes much narrower? So maybe as stated above, there aren't any car tires that narrow. I've never looked.

If there was a car tire that would fit it would be in wide use. But there isn't. In order to run a car tire you have to enlarge the front end assembly like the Eurowing does. You can buy that set up for about $4,000 I think. (Don't hold me to that number. )

The next best (maybe better) is the Hannigan 180 front end. It uses a 180 size tire. You can also purchase that front end for about $3,000 which includes new raked tree, new fender, new brake lines, new wheel and tire, and some more stuff. Makes no sense unless you're building a new trike because the difference is about $1,000 over what most are doing now and it would be worth it.

Firea100, I have a Dunlop Elite 3 MT90B16 mounted backward on the front of our Harley Triglide that rides the same as the stock tire that came on the bike. FWIW I've only had that tire on for about 4 months, but no unusual wear. Good luck

PC

I have spent hours working with a couple of large tire dealers trying to find a car tire that would fit on the front of a T-glide. Does not exist in this country.

16"?

If you need a 16", maybe look at an Avon Safety Mileage Mark II 5.00 x 16 TT (tube type). It's rated for 112 mph and 716 pounds. Wears like iron, grips like a bugger. Check the specs carefully, it is big. Might have to raise/modify/cut & duct tape/replace the front fender. It does follow the grooves in grooved concrete, but, if you go around a corner too fast, it won't slide like a more normal tire...

Metzler tires are made in Brazil now and not in Germany. Quality control has suffered greatly,as a result.

Rear 900 lb rated tire on front ?

How about a Rear 900 lb rated tire on front verses 600 lb tire ?<br />
I have seen that on 2 wheelers. The heavy front trike might be <br />
a good application if you can find the right tire size ?<br />
I'd like a Mich commander 2 rear on the front for the pattern and toughness.<br />
It looks like it would not cup as early.<br />
I dont see 130-70-18 pattern choices I like in other Metz or Mich.<br />
The grooves are spaced just right for cupping.<br />
Compare the Mich pilot or any Metz to the commander 2.<br />
wachuthink

If there was a car tire that would fit it would be in wide use. But there isn't. In order to run a car tire you have to enlarge the front end assembly like the Eurowing does. You can buy that set up for about $4,000 I think. (Don't hold me to that number. )

The next best (maybe better) is the Hannigan 180 front end. It uses a 180 size tire. You can also purchase that front end for about $3,000 which includes new raked tree, new fender, new brake lines, new wheel and tire, and some more stuff. Makes no sense unless you're building a new trike because the difference is about $1,000 over what most are doing now and it would be worth it.

You got that right, mh, that's some serious $ just get the front end Hannigan conversion.

Tire cupping

One of my childhood jobs was working at a tire dealer, mounting and balancing, what was noticed that while spin balancing, the tires all had a "hop or high spot" on them. In other words they were not truly round no matter who maybe them. The shop had a tire lathe that spun the tire on the wheel and had a sharp knife that removes the high spot and made the tire round. I have not seen one for MC tires as they are not flat. However that would be the ticket for the ultimate ride. The tires today ? Haven't seen a round one yet.

I remember 1 shop truing tires when I was about 16 and they were the last doing it anywhere around my little corner of the world.Seems that same machine that spun the tire up was used with the on car balancer to.Both of those are lost arts in this day.I guess modern radials are more forgiving than the bias plys of the day.

Had that argument on a different forum, JMO- using a cycle front tire uses less friction due to minimal tire to road contact. Using a car tire will do just the opposite ,not to mention it would steer like a truck. I have herd that using balance beads is the way to go. Don't know, never used them. Always balanced-beamed mine.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png