air shock pressure display

Jun 9, 2013
newfield, new york
I have a motor trike setup and my air pressure display is going crazy. As I go down the road it will go from 25 up to 50 back down to 33 back up to 40. No steady reading, always different and have no idea what pressure I have. Any suggestions?

Mike
2004 1800 2008 motor trike conversion.

I have a motor trike setup and my air pressure display is going crazy. As I go down the road it will go from 25 up to 50 back down to 33 back up to 40. No steady reading, always different and have no idea what pressure I have. Any suggestions?

Mike

Go with the number you have cold and then pump it up to where you want it to be. Then start the bike.
The LED unit isn't at fault here. $135 plus shipping new by the way.
Call MT or Honda and see where the sending unit is.
Or someone here will know eventually.
It might just be the original Honda units in the crapper.

Mike

Dang Mike, that thing is really possessed!!!

The OEM rear suspension adjust mechanics it totally removed so it can not be that. It may be the Motor Trike sensor though... Can you tell if the air compressor is actually running or just the display going nuts? If the compressor is running I'd say there is a wiring/switch/sensor problem. If just the display whacking out then that is not so unusual. I've replaced a few of them. JaysGone has had some success fixing the display module but most of us just end up replacing it. As I recall the cost is around $135 with shipping. You can try to order it direct from Motor Trike but many of us have been turned away and told to go through a dealer.

Depending on your mechanical ability it can be an easy swap. You have to do a little plastic removal and so work inside the control panel. Shoot me a PM if you want/need more info. :xszpv::xszpv:

Dang Mike, that thing is really possessed!!!

The OEM rear suspension adjust mechanics it totally removed so it can not be that. It may be the Motor Trike sensor though... Can you tell if the air compressor is actually running or just the display going nuts? If the compressor is running I'd say there is a wiring/switch/sensor problem. If just the display whacking out then that is not so unusual. I've replaced a few of them. JaysGone has had some success fixing the display module but most of us just end up replacing it. As I recall the cost is around $135 with shipping. You can try to order it direct from Motor Trike but many of us have been turned away and told to go through a dealer.

Depending on your mechanical ability it can be an easy swap. You have to do a little plastic removal and so work inside the control panel. Shoot me a PM if you want/need more info. :xszpv::xszpv:

The pump is working, or at least it sounds like it is working. It's just the display is all over the place. I just got it back from the motor trike dealer. It was doing this when I took it in. He said he pulled the wires off and put them back on and it seemed like it was working. Took it out Sunday to check out the new bigger air shocks I had him put in and the new cobra trike front tire, and after about an hour the gauge started to go all over the place. The new shocks seem to be a better ride although I am not sure what pressure I am running at. It was cold as it never got over 43 for the trip. It seems like there would be an alternative to the electronic read out. Or maybee there is and I just haven't found it.

Mike

The pump is working, or at least it sounds like it is working. It's just the display is all over the place. I just got it back from the motor trike dealer. It was doing this when I took it in. He said he pulled the wires off and put them back on and it seemed like it was working. Took it out Sunday to check out the new bigger air shocks I had him put in and the new cobra trike front tire, and after about an hour the gauge started to go all over the place. The new shocks seem to be a better ride although I am not sure what pressure I am running at. It was cold as it never got over 43 for the trip. It seems like there would be an alternative to the electronic read out. Or maybee there is and I just haven't found it.

Mike

I don't know of any alternate method of know the air pressure Mike. While the trike is setting still does the reading bounce around? If so, is the compressor running when it does? If not, tap around in the vicinity of the controls and display. See if you can get it to start going crazy. If you can then I'd be pulling that module out and looking for loose or broken wires. :xszpv::xszpv:

It jumps all around while sitting still or moving, without the pump running.

Mike

I still think that might be just the display segments doing that failure thing..... Try pushing around on the display and see if you get changes is actions. If so then I'd bet the LED segments are shot and the $135 is a safe bet. Hope that helps Mike. :xszpv::xszpv:

I still think that might be just the display segments doing that failure thing..... Try pushing around on the display and see if you get changes is actions. If so then I'd bet the LED segments are shot and the $135 is a safe bet. Hope that helps Mike. :xszpv::xszpv:

Where do you buy a new one, and what are they called. I have tried to look them up but I cannot find them anywhere.

Mike

Mike you will have to call Motor Trike (1-800-90-TRIKE) and see if they will take care of you. They may tell you to contact your dealer/installer to have them order you one. Some guys have even had them replaced under warranty even though technically warranty had expired.

Best of luck!!! :xszpv::xszpv:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png