independent Suspension vs Straight Axle Conversion

Mar 31, 2016
Minnesota
For 16 years i rode a 89 GW 1500 with Motor Trike conversion with air ride and some side to side suspension. . Thought it rode smooth.
Now I am planning on buying a straight axle CSC conversion on a 98 GW with air ride I have been told this will not ride as smooth as Motor Trike cause suspension is just up and down not side to side like independent types. Those who have rode both types : how big a difference will there be? Will I feel every bump in the road? I am a casual type rider not long trips and not usually over 60-65 mph but will i regret straight axle.... Also the 98 has a 6 degree rake which I have not had before which should help steering but worried about the ride.....

When I triked my 2010 my main concern was reliability. For the miles I ride I can put up with a rougher ride. Mine is the only trike I have ridden so can't say how much rougher it rides than independent suspension. I looked at the ID suspension rear ends and the solid axle and didn't like how complicated the IDS looked. The SA suspensions looked like a normal rear end out of a work truck with a differential and axles coming out of each end. These are made for reliability and low maintenance. I know I am in the minority with this but I ride only about 8,000 miles per year now and couldn't resisting saving well over $1,000 on the conversion.

For 16 years i rode a 89 GW 1500 with Motor Trike conversion with air ride and some side to side suspension. . Thought it rode smooth.
Now I am planning on buying a straight axle CSC conversion on a 98 GW with air ride I have been told this will not ride as smooth as Motor Trike cause suspension is just up and down not side to side like independent types. Those who have rode both types : how big a difference will there be? Will I feel every bump in the road? I am a casual type rider not long trips and not usually over 60-65 mph but will i regret straight axle.... Also the 98 has a 6 degree rake which I have not had before which should help steering but worried about the ride.....

The Independent Suspension will ride better at slow speeds, steering is a bit slower and tire wear is quicker. From a maintenance standpoint, the straight axle is easier to maintain. If you set the suspension properly and air the tires properly, the slow speed ride will improve and the handling will always be there. 6 degrees is really touchy.

Not knowing how picky you might be, it is best if you are able to ride the other (IRS) and compare before purchasing.

Unfortunately I can't test drive before purchase because of special Equipment (Hand shifting linkage) that needs to be installed before I can ride the first time. Something you said alarmed me what did you mean by 6 degrees rake being touchy As in touchy to manuever or trike will veer left or right if I dont hold steering straight . If so that could be a problem for me. I don't have the best trunk balance as I lack core muscles and don't have use of my legs. i was comfortable on a nonraked IRS MotorTrike Also I do drive slow a lot I would describe roads as average but i could definitely tell the difference between a good tar road and one that was beat up Maybe I should back out of a deal I have made but not yet purchased with the 6 degree rake and california side car straight axle Any input is helpful at this point as i am pretty confused . I wouldnt describe myself as picky but do have back pain and feel the bumps....

The Independent Suspension will ride better at slow speeds, steering is a bit slower and tire wear is quicker. From a maintenance standpoint, the straight axle is easier to maintain. If you set the suspension properly and air the tires properly, the slow speed ride will improve and the handling will always be there. 6 degrees is really touchy.

Not knowing how picky you might be, it is best if you are able to ride the other (IRS) and compare before purchasing.

Luckily, I don't have physical problems, so my solid axle Champion works very well for me and my Mrs. I ride nothing but twisties. You will feel it if you hit rough patches, but it's smooth as silk on decent roads. I road on IDS trike when I was looking, and maybe it was this particular trike, but the swaying motion almost made me seasick.

I've ridden both. At highway speeds I noticed very little if any difference in how they rode over rough surfaces. At slower speeds the IRS was much smoother on rough surfaces. Solid axles on the other hand allow a rider to be a bit more aggressive in the twisties. I prefer a solid rear. Neither is "better". It comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Howdy Waldo. If you were reasonably happy with the '89 Motor Trike than you will be very happy with the CSC. Not that CSC builds any better conversion but mostly because the overall length of the CSC is greater which results in better ride comfort. Also, you mentioned being concerned with the 6 degree rake. I'm sure there are some CSC trikes out there with 4.5 degree kits but most everyone does install the 6 degree on CSC conversions. The length and width of a trike has a lot to do with how well it tolerates different rake angles.
If the deal you have made is good, I see no reason for you to back out of it. JMHO :xszpv::xszpv:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png