Waiting on the triple digit heat

MikeyTX

Dead animals deserve balloons...
May 9, 2016
Big Bend Country, TX
Freaky year for weather here in the D/FW, TX area. First we get record rains .......... Then, we make it nearly to the end of July and have not had an official 100 deg day .......... yet. Personally, if it never makes it, I'd be ecstatic.

Freaky year for weather here in the D/FW, TX area. First we get record rains .......... Then, we make it nearly to the end of July and have not had an official 100 deg day .......... yet. Personally, if it never makes it, I'd be ecstatic.

Funny most people cannot ride in the winter. I live in the Austin area and it is miserable to ride in the summer. I go out sometimes at 9 or 10:00 at night and it is still 91. Bring on winter. That is my best riding season. I can dress for cooler weather, but not for hot!

Tell me! 90 some odd degrees last night at 10 pm. That's why I leave on long trips around 5 ish in the am. I am well up in the mountains by the time it gets uncomfortable back here.

Tell me! 90 some odd degrees last night at 10 pm. That's why I leave on long trips around 5 ish in the am. I am well up in the mountains by the time it gets uncomfortable back here.

My wife and I rode in 109 temps from El Paso to Fort Stockton. Almost died. Had to pull over fast on the interstate and wet down. My wife was starting to pass out from the heat. Come on winter.. <grin>

My wife and I rode in 109 temps from El Paso to Fort Stockton. Almost died. Had to pull over fast on the interstate and wet down. My wife was starting to pass out from the heat. Come on winter.. <grin>

:D Funny how as I've gotten older, I've gotten smarter with my riding gear. Long sleeve cotton oxford shirt, hydration vest, mesh jacket. Combination works like a champ on long rides. I also have two cup holders on the handlebars. Each holds a 16oz insulated spill proof cup.

West Texas has been having higher humidity than usual for most of the summer. When the temps are 100+ it is just stifling. Nothing to do but stay in the house, keep the animals, yourself and the trees watered. About 9pm it's ok to venture outside....
If the humidity is less than 15% the 100+ temps are not quite so bad feeling.

COME ON LATE FALL!
(It doesn't cool down around here until after September and then it's not cold-cool, just tolerable)

The humidity in my neck of the woods has been in the 90% range and I'm not hoping for winter to arrive. For me heat is uncomfortable, but cold is painful. Bring on the hot for me. We've only had a few days of 100F, but many in the mid to upper 90's. It isn't that enjoyable around here to ride in below freezing temps, but we are all pretty adaptable creatures. I'm just happy to be alive. :D

:D Funny how as I've gotten older, I've gotten smarter with my riding gear. Long sleeve cotton oxford shirt, hydration vest, mesh jacket. Combination works like a champ on long rides. I also have two cup holders on the handlebars. Each holds a 16oz insulated spill proof cup.

I had my vest with me, soaked it in the cooler of ice water and put it on our heads and neck. After we cooled down. I put on the set vest and mesh jacket and my wife soaked her shirt and we rode to the next town and took 3 hours off.

- - - Updated - - -

The humidity in my neck of the woods has been in the 90% range and I'm not hoping for winter to arrive. For me heat is uncomfortable, but cold is painful. Bring on the hot for me. We've only had a few days of 100F, but many in the mid to upper 90's. It isn't that enjoyable around here to ride in below freezing temps, but we are all pretty adaptable creatures. I'm just happy to be alive. :D

We know COLD, we are from Illinois as well. But been in Texas Since 1985. Escaped the cold. I tell people here how cold it got up there and they cannot believe it.

Much as I dislike the intense heat we have this time of year - I can't shiver hard enough to warm up when cold-soaked, AND, there is no electric blanket cord long enough to follow me around everywhere when it's cold!

I can always somehow get cool-ER in the warm/hot months, but it's hard to get comfortably warm in the bitter cold.

If we ever actually get to move it will be SOUTHEAST of Midland - back toward the hill country (home), ...with trees ...and grass...and - oh well, just dreaming.

Carla

Oh dang!...I'd have to sell my LL Bean down coats and give all those dog sweaters away....pffit...such a nice collection...

If we ever actually get to move it will be SOUTHEAST of Midland - back toward the hill country (home), ...with trees ...and grass...and - oh well, just dreaming.

Carla

So does this mean posting pictures of the Willow City Loop would be considered cruel and unusual punishment ? :D

Absolutely!

And the 3-sisters.

And some fresh peaches.

And all the Blue Bonnets.

And the smell of all that good BBQ - not to mention the taste!

And good old San Antonio style Mexican food....with chili on the enchiladas instead of that nasty red sauce they serve out here.

Actually, my job is fixing to end in about a month and we've been thinking about moving to either Kerrville or Fredericksburg.

A lot of deciding factors to mull over though.

I'm from San Antonio and we've been back and forth (300 miles one-way trip) a LOT since 1971.

Plus we'd go to either Mason or Fredericksburg on holiday weekends on the bikes or motorhome.

Guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it..

Carla

p.s. Jim is a YANKEE from Wisconsin! But he's been in Texas so long that he can't stand the cold anymore either.

- - - Updated - - -

Fredericksburg really has gone down hill it seems. Almost all the good mom and pop knick knack shops are gone. Whole place now caters to the college crowd along with mommy and daddy and their wallets. Almost all the shops are carrying stuff aimed at the college crowd. My s/o used to spend several days going from one shop to another. No more. She was not impressed with all the "made elsewhere outside of the US of A" products being sold. I am so much wealthier. :laugh:

Much as I dislike the intense heat we have this time of year - I can't shiver hard enough to warm up when cold-soaked, AND, there is no electric blanket cord long enough to follow me around everywhere when it's cold!

I can always somehow get cool-ER in the warm/hot months, but it's hard to get comfortably warm in the bitter cold.

Yes yes yes. I'm like you. In the cold it seems like my core is a block of ice and I can't get warm no matter what I do. Much happier in the heat.

Fredericksburg really has gone down hill it seems. Almost all the good mom and pop knick knack shops are gone. Whole place now caters to the college crowd along with mommy and daddy and their wallets. Almost all the shops are carrying stuff aimed at the college crowd. My s/o used to spend several days going from one shop to another. No more. She was not impressed with all the "made elsewhere outside of the US of A" products being sold. I am so much wealthier. :laugh:

Agree with your conception....and YOU are a lucky man indeed!

I had my vest with me, soaked it in the cooler of ice water and put it on our heads and neck. After we cooled down. I put on the set vest and mesh jacket and my wife soaked her shirt and we rode to the next town and took 3 hours off.

- - - Updated - - -

We know COLD, we are from Illinois as well. But been in Texas Since 1985. Escaped the cold. I tell people here how cold it got up there and they cannot believe it.

billboard.jpg

Here ya go :cool:

Rode to weatherford other night an was miserable

Im not into cold, but i can breathe when its cooler tho.

Recovering from 5 broken ribs, hole in lung and broken shoulder, mmm, hit from behind, not much ya can do about that.

Worst part was he hit me twice, went down second time an trapped under my streetgide, girlfriend, under his truck with her head under his passenger wheel.

Hey its only the fourth or fifth time Ive been hit by illegals, all in cars to car contact, but first time in 56 years of riding that i contacted a car or truck. At least he had insurance.

Viva Mexico. :mad: He got three tickets and a tow job, no inspection, cop who worked accident said he personally had had 6 wrecks on a bike

I didnt tell him he was a poor rider, LOL, he wrote a great report, and driver say, my brakes no work, cop tested them, they worked fine, then the wrecker towed him away as they should have.

When first hit driver came an touched girlfriend then me, to see if we were dead, i tole him get that fing truck off her.

After that he squatted by his truck and cried till the ambulance showed, and a young nurse stopped and checked us out an called 911, they got there chop chop.

The fun began when the ambulance showed, i wont go into that, pain was intense tho.

ride safe, everyone is asleep at the wheel, but you.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png