Straight versus Indepandent suspension pros and cons

Straight axle rough on the passenger, not as safe if you hit a curb, ( might flip), Advantages.... no lean at all. Some argue it corners better.....We'll see what the other folks think

Independent or solid???

Well before I bought mine I rode both kinds and liked the solid axle better. The problem is not many places allow you to ride a trike, you buy blind, or on someone else's opinion.
In Arizona we have the "Trike Shop" located in Humbolt just before Prescott Valley. They will let you ride (each if available). I ended up buying a 2010 Lehman Monarch 2 with 19,000 miles, the suspension still uses the Honda Hydraulic adjuster, and a preload adjustable coil over shock. The only thing I changed was to install Progressive Suspension fork springs. I found the independent suspension requires you to install Air Bags and a sway bar for better handling. Yes I know some builders and P.O.s have already installed these items, just to save an argument. In my rides I haven't found other trikes I cant stay with on a ride, unless they are just a crazy rider.
The main thing is I wouldn't ignore a deal on a trike just on someone else's advice see if you can ride it, or go to Humbolt. Like any other bike you will get used to it and its quirks. My own Opinion!

I have a Harley Roadking with a Champion IRS conversion. Before I got it, I test rode a Triglide (solid) Lehman conversion (solid) Roadsmith (IRS), Champion (IRS), and a CSC (IRS) and for me, IRS was better. The solids had a much rougher ride and I really didn't notice any difference in cornering. Maybe if you are riding on the edge, one would have a cornering advantage over the other, but for normal riding especially on less than ideal roads, the IRS offered a smoother ride. Now for my take on a Triglide. It was by far the hottest ride. The engine it had combined with the lowers and fairing produced a lot of heat for the rider. On the Triglide I also felt very cramped. The bars were to narrow and the seat put me to far forward. The cramped positioning can be alleviated with bars and seat and I'm sure for many it's fine as is, but not for me.

I test rode a new Tri at the dealer found the ride very ruff. The way the dealer had set it up was the problem. My trike rides very smooth even on ruff roads but it took some time to dial in all the tires and the air shocks.

All years are solid axle.

When taking a test ride check the tires PSI and the rear suspension PSI. For some reason my dealer always puts 45PSI in the rear tires and the max in the shocks. I don't know why, I've gone round and round with them and they still do it. I told them to check the manual but to no affect.

As an aside, they also tighten the oil filter with a wrench so tight that you can't take it off. I usually have to use a screwdriver through the filter to loosen it.
In all my 60 years of oil changes, I've never had a problem removing an oil filter. Not sure if this is all Harley dealers or just mine.:AGGHH:

I first noticed it after riding home after the 1K service years ago. There is a couple dips on North Ave that will really test your suspension, anyway, I hit the one dip and literally came off the seat at least 1 foot - surprised the hell out of me. Got home and checked the PSI's.
Naturally at those PSI's, you're not going to have a fun ride. :gah:

I love my TG's and wouldn't trade it in for anything.

Had both

I had the Lehman independent suspension converted my 2005 ultra. Get on bumpie surface streets but didn't handle as well as my 2015 triglide. My wife has no complaints on either when riding as a passenger. Over all the straight handles much better. So much I bought my wife a 2015 freewheeler vs independent conversion and she loves it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png