To Level or not to Level that is the question!

paid4c4

300+ Posts
Mar 28, 2016
Crestview Hills, KY, USA
I posted several weeks ago that my motor trike wasn't level in the rear. It ended up being out of level about an inch. Following the service manual I adjusted the trike to within 1/4 inch. For the first time my rear bottom hatch springs open instead of me having to dig at the top of it to pull it open. I wouldn't have thought such a small amount off level would have an effect but the hatch proves something was binding.
Bill

I have a Motor Trike with same issue. Can yo contact me on how to fix. 814-241-9656

Thanaks

Dan

first off lets not look at the body of the trike, that can be decieving because it may not have been shimmed right in the back.
lets look at the front tire. measure out from the tire center
is the contact patch on the tire wearing more to the right than the left. if not then your body needs shimmed to level the body.
if indeed the tire is wearing off to the right then heres what you need to do.
loosen the jamb nut on the lower heim joint holding the ladder bar to the rear end.
remove the bolt holding that heim to the rear.
turn the heim joint out 3 turns and reinstall the bolt.
after making that adjustment. check the 2 bars that go between the ladder bars
1 goes straight across and the other goes across diagonally
they should be loose enough that you should be able to rotate them without much effort
if they are tight then they will need adjusted to.
tighten everything back down and go for a ride.
check the contact on the front tire again. it should've changed.
iv'e worked on alot of valkyrie and goldwing motortrikes and to be honest i have no clue why most dealers have a constant problem with setting them up to lean to the right.
i worked on one and got it level.
the guy took it back to the dealer to have other work performed. when he left the dealer he said it was leaning to the right again.
he complained to the dealer and was told that was he put it back to factory spec. i had to laugh because i had to readjust it all over again.
and a trike with running boards is a royal pain in the arse to do.

The contact patch on my front tire is wearing more to the right than I think it should. Are you saying that to adjust the right lower heim joint out to move the contact patch to the left.

THANKS

The contact patch on my front tire is wearing more to the right than I think it should. Are you saying that to adjust the right lower heim joint out to move the contact patch to the left.

THANKS
yes adjust the right lower heim joint the one that holds the ladder bar to the lower rear. that will pick the right side up and level the trike. not sure how far off yours is but I would start with 2 turns of that heim going out.
once you get it right don't forget to check the 2 bars going between the ladder bars in front of the rear. if they are tight they will bind up. you should be able to use your thumb and 2 fingers and rotate those rods freely. if you can't then take the bolt out of the place where both are joined togather on the left side. adjust those 2 rods and reinstall the bolt. those rods should rotate freely now.

Have you lubed the heim joints? Dry heim joints can cause the suspension to bind and make the Motor Trikes sit unlevel. Check the level, then use a silicone based lubricant like Liquid Wrench silicone to heavily spray the heim joints on either side, ride it and recheck the level. Motor Trike recommends lubing these annually, or more depending on how much you ride. The heim joints have been known to fail, they can actually strip the threads out of the joint or shear off and not lubing them may be a contributing factor.

I posted several weeks ago that my motor trike wasn't level in the rear. It ended up being out of level about an inch. Following the service manual I adjusted the trike to within 1/4 inch. For the first time my rear bottom hatch springs open instead of me having to dig at the top of it to pull it open. I wouldn't have thought such a small amount off level would have an effect but the hatch proves something was binding.
Bill

I am surprised that adjusting rear axle relation to body in any way changed the opening of the door. Perhaps in lacking, etc something slipped a related betweeh body & chassis itself.

A trike .... like a tripod .... will set all three feet or tires firmly on the ground / road / floor / etc. There is no "twisting" force imparted by their foothold like you would see on a 4 or more wheeled vehicle where each tire is suspended and supports weight through it's spring / torsion bar / airbag. A trike or tripod distributes it's load amongst the three points as a function of distance and vector from center of mass.

Even a 4 wheeled vehicle like a tractor or mower with a free pivoting front axle will act like a trike until all pivot travel is used up and the front axle placed in a bind.

I copied this info for a buddy some time back ..... I also have copies of the MT book saved that I think I downloaded from the link and the book details body shimming as well as suspension adjustments ..... assuming I got them from this link? Was a long time ago.

Code:
[B]PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE - FROM MOTOR TRIKE, INC

1. The brakes will need to be adjusted at the 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 mile points or until the brakes have seated. The drum brakes on the rear are equipped with self adjusters, but they will not work due to the light weight of the trike. The brakes will need to be adjusted with a brake spoon. The correct process is to lift the rear end in the air. Remove the rubber adjustment hole cover. It is rectangular in size and about 1" in width. Spin the wheel and adjust the brakes slowly until the wheel starts to drag. The wheel should be able to spin freely for 270 degrees. If the wheel was a clock, it would start at 12 and stop at 9 o’clock. Reinstall the rubber and repeat process on the other wheel. 

2. Grease rear universal joint every 5,000 or when the oil is changed. 

3. Inspect and tighten all jam nuts. Make sure a medium grade (BLUE) loctite is used. 

4. Grease two swing arm pins on the shoulder where ladder bars rest every 24 months or every 15,000 miles. Also remove the front motorcycle U joint and repack splines, front and rear. Use high quality lithium grease. 

5. Use a dry silicon spray to protect heim joint from wear. (3M makes this product and can be purchased at any auto supply store.) 

6. Tire pressure for riding around town should be 18-24 lb. depending on geographic location and road conditions. Tire pressure for the front tire should be 42 lb. 

7. You have a suspension that uses two coil over gas shocks and two air bags. The correct air pressure for the air bag is 20 lbs. with driver only. Two people would be 35 lbs and up. If you are pulling a trailer with two people, you would use 50 lbs and up. 

8. Fender Bras: It is OK for your fender bras to get wet. However, you must remove them when you are finished riding for the day. If you leave wet fender bras on your trike, the paint underneath could blister and peel. Dry the fender bras and dry the body before reinstalling.

9. For a complete installation and Motor Trike GL-1800 maintenance manual click here: [/B]

[B][URL]http://www.junkmaster.com/kj5ix/MTServiceManual.pdf[/URL][/B]

I'm new to my 2002 Motor Trike (well all trikes) and don't really know much about the axle technology. Can someone take a picture of the heim joint area? My trike is also leaning at least 1 inch lower on the right. (I emptied and filled the air bags a few times and the angle was present full or empty).

I did find that owner created/edited service manual for MTs but I don't remember a picture of the heim joint.

I also don't know which obsolete body style I have. It doesn't fit full face helmets and it works with the OEM saddle bag latch.

image012.jpg image006.jpgimage016.jpg

Bob, I have what I believe you have the same trike model as I do and I have a Spyder. You might look up inthe trike while lying on the floor and find the bild tag like I did. If you look back through some of my treads you'll find a photo of my build tag. If you can't find it let me know and I'll find it. I'd post it now but I'm working on an iPad while my Mac Boook gets a recall fix.
Bill

Thanks for the links. I guess I didn't download the same manual or didn't read it enough. I printed it out this time. Now to find a binder. :)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png