Drilling stock mufflers

Jan 3, 2016
S e south dakota
My brother in law just bought a new freewheeler . He has stock mufflers on a stage 1 setup , head pipe , intake , and tuner . Before buying a new set of mufflers he wants to try to drill stock mufflers for more flow . 64 dollar question , how does he go about it ??

Last edited:
My brother in law just bought a new freewheeler . He has stock mufflers on a stage 1 setup , head pipe , intake , and tuner . Before buying a new set of mufflers he wants to try to drill stock pipes for more flow . 64 dollar question , how does he go about it ??

Maybe Apples to Oranges here...:Shrug:
I drilled out my 2011 Tri-Glide's stock mufflers with a drill bit' on a drill bit extender. And drilled straight in with a small bit 'then working the way up one size larger at a time...Don't know if the Freewheelers are the same but with my stock Tri-Glide the left muffler has a more restricted baffle to keep the back pressure /Pulses even on both cylinders ...Any way' Doing that only gave me a tinny sound :gah:... So i ended up putting on Slip-ons...

My brother in law just bought a new freewheeler . He has stock mufflers on a stage 1 setup , head pipe , intake , and tuner . Before buying a new set of mufflers he wants to try to drill stock mufflers for more flow . 64 dollar question , how does he go about it ??

If you drill out your original equipment baffles you will detune your bike and a deceleration popping will be the outcome. Then if you don’t like that popping you will have to buy a $400 fuel pack-3 from V&H to retune (fuel map) the bike once again. Is it worth it? I have drilled out my baffles to Harley’s only to regret that I did it because of the popping.

You may think you’re saving money in the long by not buying slip-ons, but you just may spend more money if things go south on you.:mad:

If you drill out your original equipment baffles you will detune your bike and a deceleration popping will be the outcome. Then if you don’t like that popping you will have to buy a $400 fuel pack-3 from V&H to retune (fuel map) the bike once again. Is it worth it? I have drilled out my baffles to Harley’s only to regret that I did it because of the popping.

You may think you’re saving money in the long by not buying slip-ons, but you just may spend more money if things go south on you.:mad:

By instaling DK lollypop bafels, should bring the oem muflers back to original . A little lowder with out the pop. Give kevin a call to be sure. JMO

By instaling DK lollypop bafels, should bring the oem muflers back to original . A little lowder with out the pop. Give kevin a call to be sure. JMO

Yep... Thunder Torques AKA Lollypops....They will add back-pressure that you lose buy opening up the mufflers too much and stop the popping..... I have them on my Tri for a few years now...ThumbUp

With the laws getting the way they are concerning bikes. There is no telling when they will check your bike or even start smogging them. Just buy proper slip on mufflers. (That way you will have the stock mufflers if you need them). Also having the stock mufflers available is better for resale on your trike.

Also if you modify the stock mufflers your bikes performance may suffer. Also there is no guarantee the mod will sound good and now you have wrecked your stock mufflers.

To be honest my stock Freewheeler mufflers have performed better than the aftermarket ones I have tried so far. Back to stock happy with the sound and performance.

Ride Safe, :pepper:
Bill G

I have stock, modified Freewheeler muffles with removeable V&H cores and I LOVE them! I made them myself and have NO issue with them...... All for less that $100.00.....

Springman

I have stock, modified Freewheeler muffles with removeable V&H cores and I LOVE them! I made them myself and have NO issue with them...... All for less that $100.00.....

Springman

Springman that dose not surprise me at all.

Replacing the baffles is one thing and will give good results. Because the hole baffle was replaced with a designed performance baffle. Drilling holes in stock baffles or punching them out like some guys do with a rod is another thing. This normally dose not give a good result and destroys a perfect set of stock mufflers.

I would suggest a baffle replacement like you did or just buy a set of aftermarket mufflers. I would not butcher the stock mufflers by just drilling holes in them.

Just my 2 cents from many years of experience working on Harley's.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Springman that dose not surprise me at all.

Replacing the baffles is one thing and will give good results. Because the hole baffle was replaced with a designed performance baffle. Drilling holes in stock baffles or punching them out like some guys do with a rod is another thing. This normally dose not give a good result and destroys a perfect set of stock mufflers.

I would suggest a baffle replacement like you did or just buy a set of aftermarket mufflers. I would not butcher the stock mufflers by just drilling holes in them.

Just my 2 cents from many years of experience working on Harley's.

Ride Safe,
Bill G
I've never been successful doing the drill way. Yes it may make it louder but every single time I've done it, what I ended up with sounded tinny. Hollow tinny but louder. But that tinny sound is awful.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png