Motorcycle Tire in Front?

Feb 10, 2011
Lake Placid, FL
As a prospective owner (it looks like the middle of April), I have a question about tires.

I know you use car tires on the two back tires.

Since trikes don't lean, do you also use car tires in front, or do you stick with motorcycle tires?

I don't know about custom builts, but for a motorcycle based trike you use a Motorcycle tire. Many use a Motorcycle rear tire, reversed, in front.

Dan there is a thread on this .I don't know how to get there,but I am sure someone will guide you to it.I run a mpa mounted backwards and am happy with it.RIDE SAFE

I have a gl 1500 Hannigan trike, it now has a bias tire on the front and radial tires on the rear. thinking of going to the mpa also but should I run a bias or radial. I believe they offer both, not positive though.

I read thru the thread and I saw a lot about Michelin tires running backwards but not a lot of talk on the theory.

I understand with bike tires that they need to be rounded because of the lean (altho even with bikes, there are some rear car tire advocates).

But on a trike, with little or no lean, wouldn't a flat car tire work just as well on the front, with the benefit of extra mileage?

PLEASE excuse my ignorance but what is an mpa tire? and where can I find a car tire for the front? thanks curley

You Definitely want an Non radial on the front . the radial is too mooshy on the side walls . Advantage on 2 wheels disadvantage on 3

Last edited:
I read thru the thread and I saw a lot about Michelin tires running backwards but not a lot of talk on the theory.

I understand with bike tires that they need to be rounded because of the lean (altho even with bikes, there are some rear car tire advocates).

But on a trike, with little or no lean, wouldn't a flat car tire work just as well on the front, with the benefit of extra mileage?

I know a couple of folks who have gone to the car tire on the back of a bike... mixed opinions on how good it is. I would think that using a car tire on the front of a trike would make it harder to steer... way too much surface contacting on the pavement. It seems to me that it would also eliminate part of the enigineering that makes an easy-steer work (tilting the tire some instead of just turning it).

Just my opinion...

Big Un makes a good point. Depending on how much rake you have on the front, when you turn, the tire is no longer running down the center. It's actually riding a little on side, which probably helps turning.

I know a couple of folks who have gone to the car tire on the back of a bike... mixed opinions on how good it is. I would think that using a car tire on the front of a trike would make it harder to steer... way too much surface contacting on the pavement. It seems to me that it would also eliminate part of the enigineering that makes an easy-steer work (tilting the tire some instead of just turning it).

Just my opinion...

The Stallion comes with a car tire in front. It steers just fine.

I sent a note to Hannigan asking about car tires in front and here is their response:

We do not suggest using an automotive tire on the front of your trike. We do suggest replacing it with a rear compound motorcycle tire when your current one is in need of replacement. The ones most used are the Michelin MPA, the Metzler ME880, and the Bridgestone Battlax. These will provide the increased wear and safety and performance you will need.

I'm sorry, I just don't get it. I've got an Avon tire on the front of my trike and it seems to run fine. Exactly why are radials not good? Not trying to flame here....trying to learn.

The radial is soft sided this helps the 2 wheeler to corner by laying down . The trike steers . So when you go into a corner and turn you want the tire to turn not wiggle and squirm. Trust me u will feel the difference if you change to a REAR Pilot Activ, after the second turn u go into. BIG difference. Trust us PLEASE, The Avon will work but it will wear out in 6,0000 miles i will bet .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png