DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo'

Glad you are enjoying the ride thru Yellowstone. Gayle and I have been in Yellowstone 12 times and have never seen any of the bears. You're lucky. We have seen elk, bison, bighorn sheep and fox sometimes almost too close. One time Gayle could have slapped a bison on the rear as we passed by. Mary is doing one fantastic job of taking some absolutely beautiful photos. We never get tired of going thru there other than having to put up with some the stupid things tourist do. We have hollered at people many times that were actually trying to walk right up to the bison to get pictures and selfies. There are reasons the park rangers have signs stating to stay at least 25 yards from the wildlife. A bison can do the 100 yard dash in less than 10 seconds.

As for Beartooth Pass the snow can and will last thru the summer at the higher elevations. I believe they have recorded snowfall in every month except July. In the spring they occasionally have to survey to determine where the road is. Big rotary snowblowers are used but in some areas the snow is often just pushed over the edge onto the road below and then they just keep working on back down. They always try to get the road open on the Friday before Memorial Day, it just may not be open every day or all day in early to mid June.

Enjoy the ride!!!

2016 Deep Jade Green and Black TG

Kevin, that's a bunch of snow on the Beartooth. I've ridden it several times (once in a heavy snowstorm!) but I've not seen snow that high alongside the roadway before. Must have had a heckuva winter up there.

For sure!

WOW! That IS some crazy snow!!!

Awesome views!!!

Yeah, we've been there far earlier in the year in the past, never saw that much snow.

Glad you are enjoying the ride thru Yellowstone. Gayle and I have been in Yellowstone 12 times and have never seen any of the bears. You're lucky. We have seen elk, bison, bighorn sheep and fox sometimes almost too close. One time Gayle could have slapped a bison on the rear as we passed by. Mary is doing one fantastic job of taking some absolutely beautiful photos. We never get tired of going thru there other than having to put up with some the stupid things tourist do. We have hollered at people many times that were actually trying to walk right up to the bison to get pictures and selfies. There are reasons the park rangers have signs stating to stay at least 25 yards from the wildlife. A bison can do the 100 yard dash in less than 10 seconds.

As for Beartooth Pass the snow can and will last thru the summer at the higher elevations. I believe they have recorded snowfall in every month except July. In the spring they occasionally have to survey to determine where the road is. Big rotary snowblowers are used but in some areas the snow is often just pushed over the edge onto the road below and then they just keep working on back down. They always try to get the road open on the Friday before Memorial Day, it just may not be open every day or all day in early to mid June.

Enjoy the ride!!!

2016 Deep Jade Green and Black TG

Glad you're enjoying. Yes, we have been fortunate this trip. Been snowed on before in June when on Beartooth. :) That year we went thru it twice, once in June and the other in July. June lots of snow and we got snowed on, July was quite a bit less snow, but still cold at the top.

Now that is the advantage of trikes, can't even image that on two wheels.

Yeppers, a Trike has a ton of advantages! :)

Kevin

Day 20 continued-

This pics makes it easy to see why we like this road so much...riding and views are hard to beat!

31-Super%20fun%20road%20unmatched%20views.jpg

Riding close to the snow bank....but I did not try and touch it today, like I did at Mt. Evans.* lol

32-Riding%20close%20to%20the%20edge.jpg

Cars and humans!* What's going on?

33-First%20time.jpg

This is the first time we've been up here and the ski lift has still been running!* Lot's of folks taking advantage of it.

34-Lift%20still%20running.jpg

A look back, seeing more and more blue sky now.

35-%20A%20look%20back.jpg

At to top now, entering Custer National Forest...

36-at%20top.jpg

...and Montana.* The road is a bit nicer, speed limit is higher (typical of Montana) and there is little snow up here.* It is cold, but the sun and wind rid the top of snow faster.

37-Montana.jpg

Just WOW!

38-wow.jpg

This road is a blast to ride...

39-Great%20road.jpg

...in this photo you can see 4 great curves, with a good road surface & camber, making it a joy to ride.

40-4%20curves.jpg

More coming on Day 20 as time allows.

Kevin

Day 20 continued-

On the Red Lodge side of Beartooth Pass...

41-SLO.jpg

...there is a Scenic Overlook...

42-SLO%20road%20to%20come.jpg

...with plenty of parking....

43-SLO.jpg

...and a walkway out to...

45SLO%20walkway.jpg

...some really great views...

44-SLO.jpg

...and chipmunks galore.

46-Chipmunk.jpg

We really enjoy this place...

47-SLO.jpg

...but after 20 minutes of looking around, it's time to head back to the bike...

48-Back%20to%20Trike.jpg

...and get bundled up for some more great riding in one of the most scenic spots in NA.

49-Getting%20ready%20to%20roll.jpg

Back rolling now!

50-Back%20rolling.jpg

More in next post.

Day 20 continued-

and the fun resumes...

51-and%20the%20fun%20begins.jpg

...great road surface, fantastic views, and lots of curves!

52-down.jpg

A quick look at the map and there look to be over 100 curves between here and Red Lodge...11 of them being hairpin.

53-curves.jpg

The views in this part of the world...

54-views.jpg

...are hard to beat.

55-hard%20to%20beat.jpg

Mary, hanging out over the edge of the road, while we're rolling, for this pic.* That's a long way down!

56-looking%20over%20edge.jpg

Looking up the hill...that's a lot of melted snow coming down!

57-lotta%20water.jpg

Curves, snow, canyons and Mary in the Mirror.

58-MIM.jpg

Rolling about 50 mph with a look back at all that melted snow coming down from up top.

59-look%20back%20and%20over.jpg

Beautiful view and a hairpin curve coming up.

60-Fantastic.jpg

​​​​​​​Day 20 to be concluded as time allows.

Kevin

Day 20 continued-

I know I've posted a lot of pics of our ride today...but it is such an amazing place...those of you that have ridden it know that I am cutting out the majority...and just posting some of the highlights. I'll be wrapping it up with this and the next post.

Coming up to yet another curve, notice the -> sign, mostly buried in the snow. lol

61-Curve%20sign%20partially%20buried.jpg

Mary in the Mirror, and More Curves Ahead!

62-MIM%20curves%20ahead.jpg

A look back, what a view!

63-Look%20back%20what%20a%20view.jpg

If you like riding the curves...

64-blast.jpg

...this is a road to put on your list...

65-Curves.jpg

...there are a ton of them, and they're a blast!

66-more%20curves.jpg

We are pretty much down the hill now, and it has warmed up to 51 degrees. :)

67-mim%20up%20to%2051%20degrees.jpg

Fellow biker headed up the pass for a day of extreme riding enjoyment!!!

68-mim%20fellow%20biker.jpg

Taking a little detour a few miles before reaching Red Lodge.

69-detour.jpg

Day 20 concluded in next post.

Day 20 Concluded-

We saw this little road off the main road to Red Lodge...

70-Detour.jpg

...and decided to take it. It was a few miles long and went down to a parking area, then there were various trails. We took a little stroll to the creek.

71-Walk.jpg

Trying to get a photo of some fish. lol

72-trying.jpg

After puttering around a bit, got back rolling. That is a LOT OF TREES!!!!

73-lotta%20trees.jpg

Back on the main road to Red Lodge.

74-back%20toward%20RL.jpg

We're here! What a great day of riding!!!!

75-RL.jpg

Turning into Red Lodge Inn. We stayed here a couple of years ago. Really nice place and reasonably priced.

76-RL%20Inn.jpg

After checking in and unloading, we rolled thru town...here's the main drag-

77-RL%20Main%20drag.jpg

HD knick-knack store.

78-RL%20HD.jpg

After filling up with gas we went to the grocery store for tonights meal and tomorrows lunch.

79-Grocery%20Store.jpg

Tomorrow we head to Missoula to visit Craig and Lydia, our son & granddaughter. :)

Kevin

Kevin the photo's brough back a lot of memories of our last visit to the area. Hope we might get out that way again if not we lived it through Mary's talented picture taking.

Totally loving riding along with you on your trip as you share your pictures with us! Awesome country to ride through... Enjoy your time with family!

Thank you! :)

Kevin the photo's brough back a lot of memories of our last visit to the area. Hope we might get out that way again if not we lived it through Mary's talented picture taking.

Cool, hope you can get back out there.

Kevin

Day 21-

Headed for Missoula today!* Short ride, only 375 miles or so, and with Montana's higher speed limits it should go pretty quickly.* PLUS, it is a very scenic ride.* Gonna see Craig and Lydia tonight!

Leaving out of Red Lodge, we stopped at Bone Daddys and got a little gift for each DK Team Member.

1-Bone%20Daddys.jpg

​​​​​​​Eating up some miles at Montana speeds...

2-rolling%20at%20MT%20speeds.jpg

...which is good, cause there are LOOOONG straight stretches.

3-eating%20up%20some%20miles.jpg

On the 90 now, 6th gear, cruise set at 80 mph, pretty good headwind, poor mpg.* lol

4-on%20the%2090%20cruise%20set.jpg

We've seen rain clouds here and there all morning, but we've only had a few sprinkles, and we're enjoying the open road and the views!

5-had%20a%20few%20sprinkles%20so%20far.jpg

But that is coming to an end...can't avoid the rain anymore.* Our route is going to take us directly into that dark mass of a storm off to the left, so....

6-cant%20dodge%20anymore.jpg

...it's rain suit time!* Topped off the tank while we were stopped anyway.*

btw, I have been doing a good job this trip on not getting low on fuel...and I sort of like it.* No more pre-occupation when getting low on if we are going to make it to the next station.* Now that I'm enjoying this new way, sorta makes me wonder what I was thinking for the last 3+ decades of always getting close to empty before filling up!**

7-rainsuit%20time.jpg

Headed straight into it.* It rained pretty hard on us for a bit...but Mary had the camera tucked away, out of the rain.

8-headed%20straight%20into%20it.jpg

After it cleared up a bit, out came the camera again.

9-camera%20put%20away%20for%20worst%20of%20it.jpg

You can see by the road that it rained here not long ago, but it's blue skies and white clouds now.

10-cleared%20up%20for%20a%20bit.jpg

​​​​​​​More in next post.

Day 21 continued-

Today is turning into a great....

11-Cloud%20pic.jpg

...cloud picture day. The contrast of the blue, white and green can be stunning...add to that a fun road!

12-more%20clouds.jpg

Those harmless looking white clouds are behind us now...looking like more rain ahead!

13-more%20rain%20ahead.jpg

Mary in the mirror...this round it was rain and hail...

14-rain%20and%20hail.jpg

...for awhile we've been riding in and out of rain and hail, and the temp has dropped to 51 degrees.

15-%20coming%20out%20of%20some%20rain%20hail.jpg

A look back at what we just rode thru.

16-look%20back%20at%20rain%20hail.jpg

Starting up Homestake Pass...

17-starting%20up%20homestake%20pass.jpg

...this is a fun road...lots of curves up one side and then down the other. Never ridden it in the rain before.

18-fun%20road.jpg

Before long the temp has dropped to 42, and it's getting foggy and misting.

19-Different%20foggy%20cold.jpg

Now this is different...cold, wet, but not really raining, and the fog is getting thicker. Electric Gear is ON. Mary in the Mirror.

20-%20MIM%20fog%20wet%20cold.jpg

Will continue Day 21 as time allows.

Kevin

Brrrrrr ... nothing worse than cold and wet ... but, electrics get ya through.

Agreed!!! Cold and wet sucks! 10-12 years ago I got caught in some cold rain coming home from Alabama. This was before I had electric gear, and I did not have a rain suit.

I was too dumb to stop and buy a rain suit (or maybe my brain was frozen at the time).

I thought about stopping at a motel and warming up, and continue the next day...but it was forecast to be more of the same for the next day, so I continued on. By the time I got home (300+ miles) I was colder than I'd ever been. Soaked thru. Undressed got in the bathtub and Mary kept replenishing it with microwaved water...took several hours to stop shivering. Never again!!!!

Electrics keep warm, rain suit keeps dry...and this is one of the few times I actually closed my modular helmet (to keep warm and dry). :laugh:

Kevin

Day 21 continued-

We never expected this.* Rain-Yes, Hail-Yes, but icing up?* Nope!

21-Icing%20up.jpg

And the temp dropped even further...36 degrees and snow is starting to fly...

22-%20Getting%20cold.jpg

...and not just a little snow....but very heavy.*

BTW, the camera sees better than I do...it was much less visibility while riding than these photo's are showing.

23-%20not%20rain%20or%20hail%20lots%20of%20snow.jpg

Big snow flakes!* While it was sticking to the bike, it was not sticking to the road.* I put my flashers on, and traveled at a speed that seemed safe, which was pretty much with the flow of traffic....only passed a few cars, and only a few folks passed me.

24-kept%20cleaning%20build%20up%20off%20recurve%20windshield.jpg

As you can see the snow built up pretty thick on the windshield, so I kept wiping the top clean so I could see.* I tried looking over and to the side of the windshield, but then the snow/ice just built up on my helmet.

25-%20camera%20sees%20better%20than%20me.jpg

Finally coming down the pass, and out of the snow.* Seemed like a long time, but was only about 15 minutes.

26-%20down%20from%20pass.jpg

When we got to the bottom...

27-%20headlight%20is%20on.jpg

...even though we'd been out of the snow for 10+ minutes, there was still quite a bit of snow/ice-everywhere!

28-Ice%20everywhere.jpg

So thick on the headlight you could barely tell it was on.

29-headlight%20on.jpg

Back rolling again...Missoula next stop!

30-%20Back%20rolling.jpg

Will continue Day 21 as time allows.

Kevin

Agreed!!! Cold and wet sucks! 10-12 years ago I got caught in some cold rain coming home from Alabama. This was before I had electric gear, and I did not have a rain suit.

I was too dumb to stop and buy a rain suit (or maybe my brain was frozen at the time).

Electrics keep warm, rain suit keeps dry...and this is one of the few times I actually closed my modular helmet (to keep warm and dry). :laugh:

Kevin

Good thing you bought electrics and rain suits. It's 97 outside, but I was getting cold just looking at the pictures.

Kevin ... I like the turn signal covers .. might as well advertise :D.

A while ago, like 10-12 years, I used too think electric's were for sissies ... amazing how smart I've gotten in 10 years ... now I have a jacket liner that zips into my fxrg jacket, gloves, and socks that all run on a wireless controller. I've thought about pants, but, never really been cold enough to need them. Besides, the heat from the socks gets pumped up the legs in the blood.

My only regret is that I can't control the socks and gloves together, it's the socks and jacket on on control and the gloves on the other ... seems I alway want the socks warmer and the jacket cooler. I end up unzipping then zipping the Jacket ... yea I know ... complain ... complain ... complain.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png