I hate to do it .... but

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
Yep I am gonna start an oil thread ... but just for Gold Wings.

Up until very recently, I always went with whatever the manufacturer recommended. In this case GN4.

My last Harley oil change I went way out of the box. I used different oil in all three holes .... and I loved the results. It shifted better, ran cooler, and the recommended service interval was longer for two of the three holes.

So ... At the risk of being hated for raising this issue, what is everyone using and why. I'm also interested in what your used in the final drive before you converted your trike or if you rode a Gold Wing before your trike.

I have a 2003 GL 1800 TWO WHEELER ... just wondering if I can do better than GN4.

I have a riding buddy with a 1800 wing & he swears by Shell Rotella T6. He's had it since new.

He uses a Mobil 1 filter also. I just texted him & the filter # is M1- 110A

Well Fuzzy, now you have done it....:laugh:

For the last nine years, I have used Shell Rotella 15W-40 JMSO rated standard dino oil.

I used this oil in the Wing as a two wheeler and currently in the trike conversion.

I have used this oil for nine years since I purchased the Wing new. The tranny real likes this oil. I have had several oil tests done over the years with fantastic low level wear test results compared to about 5 different oils including the GN4.

The cost is about $15/gallon at Walmart. I change the oil every 4 to 5K.

I have 109k original miles using this oil.ThumbUp

Reactions: MDO

For the last nine years, I have used Shell Rotella 15W-40 JMSO rated standard dino oil.

I used this oil in the Wing as a two wheeler and currently in the trike conversion.

I have used this oil for nine years since I purchased the Wing new. The tranny real likes this oil. I have had several oil tests done over the years with fantastic low level wear test results compared to about 5 different oils including the GN4.

I knew I would get the name of that oil out of you. I have used Rotella in my Japanese bikes for years.

I dunno, I kind of think oil threads are entertaining. I especially get a chuckle out of those that choose a very expensive oil and change it every 3K miles. Here's what I am currently using and I'm certain many will get a chuckle out of me. I've always been a fan of Valvoline oils, but haven't use them exclusively. Currently in my 2010 GL1800 (two wheeled) I am use a "custom synthetic blend." Now, here's where the chuckles start. I am using two quarts each of Valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle specific oil, synthetic and non-syn. I've got nearly 8k miles on this blend and the tranny still shifts smoothly. The engine hasn't seized, so I'm fixin' to do an oil change with the same combo. My oil filter for the next several years will be the K&N KN-204 filter as I scored a lot of ten on ebay a while back for around 35 bucks. Now, there has been a recall on certain year manufactured K&Ns, but mine are dated prior to that. The final drive gear oil I use in the GL1800 and in the 1990 GL1500se prior to triking it has been Mobil1 synthetic 80w-90. A word of caution if you have never changed the final drive gear oil, the filler cap is made of a brittle material and will crumble on you if too much force/torque is used loosening and tightening. I don't recall the foot pounds of torque to tighten, but it is only a tiny bit more than snug. (That's an industry term.) It's a good idea to have a spare filler cap on hand just in case.

Well, normally was using Honda oil, but a couple years ago ran up on great deal for Delo 400 LE 15W40, still have a "few" gallons jugs in my stash, both the '85 GL1200 and the '97 GL1500 (trike) seen pleased, smooth shifting, etc.

I'm on the same page as David, Rotella Dino, change 4 to 5K miles, been with that since 2007, works good. By the way, I like oil threads, read them every time.

Hi Fuzzy

Shell Rotella T6 for me. For the diff I used Amsoil Syn gear lube on my Valkyrie. For filters I like K&N 'cause they have that nut welded on. Now I've not serviced the Wing yet, I just got 'er

Jack

:Santa:

Never heard of a Gold Wing engine failure because of oil.. Buy what you want, change it often, and sleep well. I would suggest never wasting money on synthetic if you are still going to change it often. But,,,, it's your money.

David.....I have had the same results as you.....I was given 12 quarts of Amzoil when I purchased the trike in 2014.

I was happy to go back to the Shell Rotela T4 15w40 ( used in two previous 1800’s )after I used up all the Amsoil.

The trany shifts much smoother now!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png