I know, stupid question but I just had to!

TwoBye

550+ Posts
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2014
Washington C. H.
A question for the collective braintrust up here. Has anyone ever heard of a company that produces a fuel injection replacement system for the carburetor system on a 1999 GL1500SE? I'll stand by and read with great interest.

It may be possible but I would think cost prohibitive on a bike that's been out of production 18 years. Besides, from what I remember of my 1500 it ran very well with carbs. For any number of reasons I think you would be ahead to move up to an 1800 designed from ground up for fuel injection. Just my .02. :Dorag:

Yea well moving up to an 1800 sounds like the right thing to do BUT that too cost money my friend. I have spent years getting my 1500 comfortable and sharp (at least I think so) and would not want to start all over again at this stage in my life. Fuel Injection is probably very costly if its available at all and more than likely out of my reach but you just don't know if you don't ask. Thanks for your response.

There was a guy on the goldwingfacts forum that was working on it. I think the general feeling from the ones who have tried is the reward isn't worth the effort. I'm with you on the thought of starting over.

I think there is at least 1 company making aftermarket injection systems.I haven't researched them at all nor do I know if anybody has tried it on a Goldwing but I would think that would be the simplest way to go by far.That said the stock carbs work well when they are right.

Marc, you are right about the stock carbs working well when they're right. As luck would have it, one of my best friends is an old Honda tech from back in the day when the 1500 was popular and current. He has snyc'd the carbs once right after I got this trike and it still runs very well. I will likely have him do it again in the next season or so.

Syncing the carbs on my 99 Valk was a real PIA.

Way back then the thought wasn't fuel injecting the 1500 GW but making a manifold for an automotive single carb setup.

Couldn't be done with the Valks 6 carb setup. But was feasible with the GWs 2 carb deal.

Im just old and forgetful when this had all come up back in the early 2000nds.

Jaysgone,

Thanks for the response. Hadn't really thought about moving toward a single carb setup (automotive style) but it is interesting. Don't suppose anybody has any web sites???

Jaysgone,

Thanks for the response. Hadn't really thought about moving toward a single carb setup (automotive style) but it is interesting. Don't suppose anybody has any web sites???

It was never done as little as I can remember. The carb talk was to use a 600 CFM carb. No manifolds were made. It was all talk and supposition. Not economically feasible was the most common reply.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png