Pro Action Rear Shock Intall Today With Lots Of Pic's On 2017 Tri Glide

I received my DK Pro Action shocks and comfort lift combo yesterday. They really seem to be very high quality. However, I have a question for you. All the pictures and videos I have seen show these shocks with the Compression ring on top of the spring and the stop plate at the bottom to be Red. Mine are Black. Is this just a manufacturing change? I guess the black would be a little cheaper than the red to produce?

Doesn't really matter to me, just want to make sure these are the correct models for my 2016 TGU.

View attachment 65805

Yes, just a mfg. change. The collar was changed from red to black earlier in 2018, we need to take some new product pics for the page....with the black collars.

Kevin

Thanks.

Yes, just a mfg. change. The collar was changed from red to black earlier in 2018, we need to take some new product pics for the page....with the black collars.

Kevin

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I was 99% sure they were probably correct, but didn't want to take a chance. I knew you or somebody in here would reply quickly. :)

BTW, you can 10-25 (disregard) the text message I left on the company phone.

Bill G question?

Bill G, when installing the comfort lift plate and 14 inch shocks is it possible to use my J&S trike lift and raise the Trike up, place the two jack stands under the cross member, then let the J&S down a little until you finish, then jack it back up enough to get the jack stands out?

Bill G, when installing the comfort lift plate and 14 inch shocks is it possible to use my J&S trike lift and raise the Trike up, place the two jack stands under the cross member, then let the J&S down a little until you finish, then jack it back up enough to get the jack stands out?

Not Bill G, but that would work just fine. You will still want and adjustable jack to sit below the rear pulley guard (not to carry the weight of the trike, just to make slight adjustments in the height of the axle when installing the shocks).

Here is a video that should help-

Kevin

Thanks.

Thanks Kevin. I have had the trike up on 2 stands before when I installed you original comfort lift. The only problem i have is my floor jack is a little on the big side and it was very hard to get my two jack stands under the trike without the front of the floor jack being in the way. I think I will try using my J&S and see how that works. I can use my floor jack under the nest. Thanks again. Probably need to buy me one of the cheap, small narrow floor jacks. :laugh:

Thanks Kevin. I have had the trike up on 2 stands before when I installed you original comfort lift. The only problem i have is my floor jack is a little on the big side and it was very hard to get my two jack stands under the trike without the front of the floor jack being in the way. I think I will try using my J&S and see how that works. I can use my floor jack under the nest. Thanks again. Probably need to buy me one of the cheap, small narrow floor jacks. :laugh:

I believe it will work fine with your J&S. I know a lot of guys use them. Devin (the "D" in DK) has one and uses it all the time. I just never have gotten comfortable with them...no logical reason I suppose.

He's even gotten up on the bike when it was on the jack, up in the air, and sat on it. Freaks me out a bit. lol

Kevin

Quick question for ya Kevin

Kevin

Will the Pro-Action 14" shocks work with the original trike lift or do I need to buy the comfort lift. I have a 2016 Tri-Glide. I apologize to everyone. I am easily confused. Alot of good info here on these shocks. I am thinking this would be a good thing to do.

Will the Pro-Action 14" shocks work with the original trike lift or do I need to buy the comfort lift. I have a 2016 Tri-Glide. I apologize to everyone. I am easily confused. Alot of good info here on these shocks. I am thinking this would be a good thing to do.

You will need to order the comfort lift for the 14" shocks to work. I have the original trike lift installed and am upgrading to the 14" shocks. Was told by DK's that I needed the combo set. Hope to get them installed soon.

You will need to order the comfort lift for the 14" shocks to work. I have the original trike lift installed and am upgrading to the 14" shocks. Was told by DK's that I needed the combo set. Hope to get them installed soon.

Hey thanks Bill. That is what I needed to know.

Thanks man, Steve

A question for those that have installed the Pro-Action 14" shocks. Did you used the red loctite per the instructions? Will the blue suffice? The red loctite will make them more difficult to break loose if you need to take them off.

Good question.

A question for those that have installed the Pro-Action 14" shocks. Did you used the red loctite per the instructions? Will the blue suffice? The red loctite will make them more difficult to break loose if you need to take them off.

I have wondered about that also. When I installed my first DK comfort lift (with stock shocks) about 2 years ago i used the blue and the bolts are still tight. I realize that a manufacturer like DK cannot tell anyone to use anything other than what the OM calls for and HD calls for red. Anybody that used the blue had any problems with them working loose?

I have wondered about that also. When I installed my first DK comfort lift (with stock shocks) about 2 years ago i used the blue and the bolts are still tight. I realize that a manufacturer like DK cannot tell anyone to use anything other than what the OM calls for and HD calls for red. Anybody that used the blue had any problems with them working loose?

In our instructions it says to use red thread locker, which is what Harley says to use.

I am NOT recommending using blue. On my own bikes & Trikes I use a generous amount of blue thread locker and have never had a problem.

Kevin

Date for 14 inch Pro Action

This thread was started in December of 2016 by Bill G. Am I correct that at that time the shocks were 12 or 13 inch? When did DK finish the testing and start selling the 14 inch Pro Action shocks. It is hard to keep up with all of the dates and changes. I installed my new 14 inch Pro Action shocks and new lift plate yesterday. My butt and back are still sore from crawling around and sitting on concrete. Took me 4.5 hours but I work slow. I cleaned all the old Loctite off all of the bolts and used a 40 and 45 caliber bore brush to clean out all the threads on the trike. Anyway, the hardest part of this entire install for me was getting the top shock bolt off and back on. The trike wasn't very far off the ground and reaching up in there with your arm is tough on the wrist when it is up against the fender.

Also for those that haven't done this yet, when you are taking the top shock bolt off or putting it back on, remember this. On the first one I did I broke it loose with a 1/2 inch drive ratchet and 3/4 socket. Well after many short turns of the ratchet I was up against the fender and couldn't get the ratchet and socket off the bolt. :( So, I had to screw it back in enough to get the ratchet off and then use a ratchet type thin box end wrench. Just a little heads up for others. I used a torque wrench on all the plate bolts, but no way to get to the shock bolts with it. I just got it as tight as I could with the 1/2 inch drive ratchet with the limited leverage area available.

This thread was started in December of 2016 by Bill G. Am I correct that at that time the shocks were 12 or 13 inch? When did DK finish the testing and start selling the 14 inch Pro Action shocks. It is hard to keep up with all of the dates and changes. I installed my new 14 inch Pro Action shocks and new lift plate yesterday. My butt and back are still sore from crawling around and sitting on concrete. Took me 4.5 hours but I work slow. I cleaned all the old Loctite off all of the bolts and used a 40 and 45 caliber bore brush to clean out all the threads on the trike. Anyway, the hardest part of this entire install for me was getting the top shock bolt off and back on. The trike wasn't very far off the ground and reaching up in there with your arm is tough on the wrist when it is up against the fender. Also for those that haven't done this yet, when you are taking the top shock bolt off or putting it back on, remember this. On the first one I did I broke it loose with a 1/2 inch drive ratchet and 3/4 socket. Well after many short turns of the ratchet I was up against the fender and couldn't get the ratchet and socket off the bolt. :( So, I had to screw it back in enough to get the ratchet off and then use a ratchet type thin box end wrench. Just a little heads up for others. I used a torque wrench on all the plate bolts, but no way to get to the shock bolts with it. I just got it as tight as I could with the 1/2 inch drive ratchet with the limited leverage area available.

Way WAY too late, but it took about 15 minutes to take the entire back end off the trike {Fender/trunk/tour pak}.....made it real easy then....sorry for not mentioning that...but thought some where in this thread they had.....

YEP.

Way WAY too late, but it took about 15 minutes to take the entire back end off the trike {Fender/trunk/tour pak}.....made it real easy then....sorry for not mentioning that...but thought some where in this thread they had.....

LOL, yeah I "started to" :mad: do that but I talked myself out of it because I needed to do it that day and couldn't get any help. I can assure you if I ever have to do it again I will do that. As a matter of fact this spring or summer I am going to do this just to clean and inspect everything. :D

LOL, yeah I "started to" :mad: do that but I talked myself out of it because I needed to do it that day and couldn't get any help. I can assure you if I ever have to do it again I will do that. As a matter of fact this spring or summer I am going to do this just to clean and inspect everything. :D

No Help needed....Threw a couple of ropes over the garage rafters....just inched it up little by little. Even surprised me it worked so well!

Also for those that haven't done this yet, when you are taking the top shock bolt off or putting it back on, remember this. On the first one I did I broke it loose with a 1/2 inch drive ratchet and 3/4 socket. Well after many short turns of the ratchet I was up against the fender and couldn't get the ratchet and socket off the bolt. :( So, I had to screw it back in enough to get the ratchet off and then use a ratchet type thin box end wrench. Just a little heads up for others. I used a torque wrench on all the plate bolts, but no way to get to the shock bolts with it. I just got it as tight as I could with the 1/2 inch drive ratchet with the limited leverage area available.

I just did this exact same thing this afternoon. I pulled a real rookie move, cranking away with the socket wrench on the top bolt and watching the bolt not the back of the socket wrench. The bolt was almost out, one or two threads more and it bound up against the fender. Instead of cranking it back in a little, I thought I was far enough to get the bolt out, so I cranked it harder and bound it hard against the fender, now I'm screwed. I spent 2 hours trying to get the socket off. I would have had the whole job done by now.

Finally just took a huge screwdriver and hammer and smashed at the socket (not recommended) but it worked.

Got the bolt out, but couldn't take anymore and gave up for the day. Neck back shoulders and arms are sore.

Hopefully I can get it back together tomorrow afternoon!

Great thread by the way, very helpful!

Mighty MIKE

Well after reading all the comments I have now made a PED (personal executive decision) and are going

to let my Harley dealer install them. No smashed knuckles, to long bolts, jacking up in the wrong place,

I just want to RIDE, that's why I bought the Tri Glide in the first place. For those who like to wrench have

at it and enjoy. :)

Looks great, Bill. I installed them on my 2018 and had no problems with the bolt lengths. Then again, I also installed the comfort lift brackets. Maybe it's got something to do with that. Just curios as to why you decided not to use the lift brackets. Thanks for posting the pics. I know what a PITA that can be.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png