weight on cargo carrier

Dec 27, 2010
Sturgis SD
Can any of you give me an idea on how much gross weight I can safely put on my cargo carrier?

I suppose it will depend on if I have a passenger or not.

I have a Goldwing/Motor Trike IRS.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

If you mean a luggage rack on your trunk lid, a lot depends on how it's installed.
1. Tubular or flat?
2. Star Washers?
3. Mounted through outer lid or through outer and inner panels?
4. Shimmed between inner and outer lid panels?
5. Larger washers under the mounting bolts inside?
Passenger or no has no bearing on the cracking of the lid. That concerns only the chaffing of the lid where it mates to the box. This can be avoided by adding "rubber baby buggy bumpers" or some other lid support system.

If you are talking about a cargo carrier that goes into the receiver hitch something like a pac-rack. The rated weight of the MT is conservatively rated at 100 pounds.

I suppose it will depend on if I have a passenger or not..

If you are talking about a cargo carrier that goes into the receiver hitch something like a pac-rack. The rated weight of the MT is conservatively rated at 100 pounds.

The underlined part of the OP's ? would indicate to me he means a lid mounted luggage rack. But, then no one every accused me of having a full deck:Coffee::innocent:

This is really strange to me. Years ago my son and I traveled to a bike race at Road Atlanta. Not being the sharpest tack in the board, I loaded the rack on my 2000 Wing w/2 folding lawn chairs and a canopy top. I'm sure that was way overloaded but, no problems.
Now we're worried about a fly landing on the lid of the 1800's for fear of cracks. That's certainly not product improvement to me!

Wow, I would have never thought that much, thanks.

Yes, you are correct, it is a cargo carrier that slips into the receiver hitch.
I guess I needed to make myself more clear.

That is with or with out a passenger also. You can adjust the ride with the air shocks.

We may go this route in leiu of a trailer for our upcomming trip. Harbor freight has an Alum cargo rack on sale right now for $99. + another $15 for the 1&1/4" to 2" adapter.

I would imagine your max tongue weight for the motor trike would be the max weight you could put on that rack. JMT. Max tongue weight for my roadsmith is 75 pounds so I probably wouldn't want to put more than 75 pounds on the rack.

I would imagine your max tongue weight for the motor trike would be the max weight you could put on that rack. JMT. Max tongue weight for my roadsmith is 75 pounds so I probably wouldn't want to put more than 75 pounds on the rack.

Even at 75 pounds, thats a lot of beer if you go lite on the ice!

Even at 75 pounds, thats a lot of beer if you go lite on the ice!

Two 30 packs of beer (cans) weigh 45 pounds. Five pounds of ice and your still good to go for another twenty five pounds. Now if I could only find my Goldwing Harley pipes I'd be good to go. :BootieShake::Joker3:

I don't remember the formula, but don't forget, the further out from the trailer tongue you are, the less weight you can put on it. Picture if you have two people of equal weight on a see-saw. One sitting on the end and one sitting half-way. Doesn't move. As soon as the one moves to the end, then the other lifts up.:Joker3:Oops, how the hell did a serious answer get out of my mouth?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png