Does the air suspension botton work when R/Smith trike added?

Burnerboy

2000+ Posts
Sep 2, 2016
Springfield, Mass. USA
Does the air suspension botton work when R/Smith trike added?

I have a 2010 Goldwing that was converted last season to a Roadsmith trike....

It has been riding very rough lately, and I just thought about the air adjustment button on the faring.....DOES THIS WORK AFTER A CONVERSION?? like it did when this bike was a stock two wheel's vehicle??

At what air number(s) do you like to keep for best riding smoothness, compared when pulling a trailer....???? :blush::blush:

Ronnie

I can tell you, it is not an air adjustment. That is a preload hydraulic pump.

From the RoadSmith web sight:

Adjustable Pre-Load

The other suspension option we now offer is an Adjustable Pre-Load system. We tie right into the GL1800's existing suspension adjustment system that's controllable right from the dash. By the push up or down of a button, this system hydraulically pre-loads the fixed springs for various loads, and allows the rider to manually adjust the ride as they see fit. We use high quality Progressive coil over shocks combined with the springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcvSvm5X9d0

It appears to me, if you have the Adjustable Pre-load option, it uses the OEM Pre-load hydraulic pump.

I can tell you, it is not an air adjustment. That is a preload hydraulic pump.

From the RoadSmith web sight:

Adjustable Pre-Load

The other suspension option we now offer is an Adjustable Pre-Load system. We tie right into the GL1800's existing suspension adjustment system that's controllable right from the dash. By the push up or down of a button, this system hydraulically pre-loads the fixed springs for various loads, and allows the rider to manually adjust the ride as they see fit. We use high quality Progressive coil over shocks combined with the springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcvSvm5X9d0

It appears to me, if you have the Adjustable Pre-load option, it uses the OEM Pre-load hydraulic pump.

If you have this system your pre-load pump may need to be rebuilt. I had to have mine rebuilt because the pre-load didn't start to do anything until it got to 11 on the pre-load.

If you have this system your pre-load pump may need to be rebuilt. I had to have mine rebuilt because the pre-load didn't start to do anything until it got to 11 on the pre-load.

What do you mean by rebuild??? All that is needed, as far as I know, is to make sure the pump is full. Seems Honda does not fill them full for some reason!

Very true what deputy dawg said. Don't believe the preload option was offered on my 2012 RS kit. If my recall is working, preload was disconnected with no option to connect. I know ABS was disabled.

What do you mean by rebuild??? All that is needed, as far as I know, is to make sure the pump is full. Seems Honda does not fill them full for some reason!

Answer to your reply. My pre-load when new would start working at about 5. Over time it would not put any pre-load on until 11. I sent it to Traxion to have new seals and o-ring put in the pump and a steel braded hose put on. It now starts to put pre-load on at 1. The problem is not that Honda doesn't fill it all the way but that the plastic hose expands so you lose presser over time.

Answer to your reply. My pre-load when new would start working at about 5. Over time it would not put any pre-load on until 11. I sent it to Traxion to have new seals and o-ring put in the pump and a steel braded hose put on. It now starts to put pre-load on at 1. The problem is not that Honda doesn't fill it all the way but that the plastic hose expands so you lose presser over time.

Thank you for your reply. There have been many posts on various forums of the pump not being completely full, which the case with mine.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png