Dakota Digital Gauges

I am planning on installing these gauges - what small gauge did you use for the oil temp. and any problems re/sending unit or the routing of the line to the gauge.

Thanks

Ron

the MLX 8414 it the set that I installed. The left gauge is the oil temp. The hardest thing was to get the plug out of the drip pan for the sending unit. Routing the wire was easy.

Actually, to be honest - taking a photo of a problem that can actually be photographed is a really good idea. It can save a lot of troubleshooting time by simply showing someone the problem instead of them having to go and see it physically.

You can't really blow someone off by asking for a photo, because everyone carries a camera in their pockets nowadays. They simply take the photo and immediately show it to you.

And if you're trying to do the troubleshooting remotely (like in the case of Dakota Digital), asking for a digital photo is a whole lot better than "send it back in and we'll look at it".

Not everyone carries a camera in there pocket. I have not had a cell phone in 3 years and don't plan on getting one any time soon neither. The problem with the dakota digital is they need to rewrite the manual that comes with the gauge kit.

Not everyone carries a camera in there pocket. I have not had a cell phone in 3 years and don't plan on getting one any time soon neither.

All gauge discussion aside; I seriously implore you to get a cell phone for when you are on the bike. Even if it one of those disposable junk phones. As a victim of a motorcycle accident myself (it didn't involve another vehicle and no one else was around), my iPhone saved my life. The paramedics made it to me with just a little time to spare and if I hadn't had my phone on me I would be dead right now.

A cell phone should be considered a piece of safety equipment when it comes to motorcycling. Don't just assume that someone with a phone will stumble upon you and call for help.

Actually, your comments in bold have no impact whatsoever on what I said. So it wan't a misquote.The issue at hand is with Dakota Digital; not Harley. People are always quick to blame the MoCo, even when they are providing gratis troubleshooting service on third party parts.As for the cell phone statement.... I call BS on that when it comes to the target audience we are discussing (which isn't cars, it's motorcycles). Any senior who owns a TriGlide and has put third party digital gauges on it will most *certainly* have a cell phone. Hell, any TriGlide owner would have a cell phone. How else would you call for help in the event of a breakdown? If you own a motorcycle, but don't own a cell phone then you are extremely careless.
Not everyone carries a camera in there pocket. I have not had a cell phone in 3 years and don't plan on getting one any time soon neither. The problem with the dakota digital is they need to rewrite the manual that comes with the gauge kit.
Those phoneless Seniors I referred to who drove vehicles, also rode motorcycles and were members of my former Hog Chapter. Have to admit I'm only aware of them taking part in local group rides and chapter organized group road trips, but regardless, they had no phones. Also cward59's post reaffirms that, not all riders readily have cell phones at one's disposal. Further, I certainly can't make the call regarding whether their personal choice not to do so is an extremely careless one!

I still maintain that the Dealership should be sole party responsible to verify and substantiate all customer complaints for Warranty Support.

I'm done this topic, so back to Dakota Digital Gauge specific comments.

Those phoneless Seniors I referred to who drove vehicles, also rode motorcycles and were members of my former Hog Chapter. Have to admit I'm only aware of them taking part in local group rides and chapter organized group road trips, but regardless, they had no phones. Also cward59's post reaffirms that, not all riders readily have cell phones at one's disposal. Further, I certainly can't make the call regarding whether their personal choice not to do so is an extremely careless one!

I still maintain that the Dealership should be sole party responsible to verify and substantiate all customer complaints for Warranty Support.

I'm done this topic, so back to Dakota Digital Gauge specific comments.

Wes,

If you have a question about the new gauges I will help you out as much as I can. I love the new gauges. I have the MLX 8414.

Wes, If you have a question about the new gauges I will help you out as much as I can. I love the new gauges. I have the MLX 8414.

Thanks!! Really appreciate it. It will probably be next year or at best over the winter before I'm ready to spend dollars to update.

I'm hoping to find a source that could make them look similar to my 03 F-150 Harley Edition Truck's Guage Cluster w/Silver & Lt Grey Patterned Faces for Speedo and RPM and leave the two outside ones black.

20190513_144502.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone replaced the original gauges with the new Dakota Digital Gauges? Looking to replace mine with the MLX-8414. Need recommendations good and bad.

I had them put in during bike week. I think they are awesome. The only issue I have is having it learn the shift through the 6 gears. Because while it somewhat figures it out going up it doesn't on the way down.

There is a trick with the clock but other than that I feel they are worth it.

I had them put in during bike week. I think they are awesome. The only issue I have is having it learn the shift through the 6 gears. Because while it somewhat figures it out going up it doesn't on the way down. There is a trick with the clock but other than that I feel they are worth it.
I have mine and I had to do the learn mode for the gears. Have to shut off daylight savings time on your radio for the clock to have the same time. I like the auto brightness for the sun.. Can always see the display.

Can you post some pics of your gauges?

I'm also thinking of getting them (was almost going to buy the old ones - glad I didn't). I would love to see photos that are not part of the manufacturers marketing materials.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png