Extensions or not?

Apr 25, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
I purchased an ’03 GL1800 with a Champion kit from a local dealer. Since the purchase I know of two occasions that this dealer has flat out lied to me. Needless to say, I don’t have much faith in him now.

Anyway, he tells me there is a 4.5° rake kit installed on it and it also has 1” fork extensions installed. As for the rake kit, when I look down there I see no black on the clamps, but I also see no fork extensions. Would they be under the top clamps so I can see them?

Measuring from the ground to the bottom of the trike directly behind the front wheel I get 103mm. I have to use the car jack to lift the trike enough to get my bike lift under it. Does that sound right if there are 1” extensions? Is there some other way to check without front end disassembly?

Assuming it does have kit and extensions, I’m still not real happy with the force I have to use to get around turns. Would installing 2” extensions help with the turning or just make things worse.

A quick and easy way to check rake is the 3 or 4 finger rule. No rake means you have very little clearance between lower cowling and lower tip of fender. With rake you should be able to get 3 or 4 fingers between lower cowling and lower tip of fender. The greater the degree of rake the more clearance you have. :wave4:

I have a post a few down on this forum relating my experience with the Champion trike on my 09 GL1800. Mine was too low to get my floor jack under, I had to run it up on a 2x6 to get the front high enough to jack up. Mine had 1" extensions, but you could not see them as they were under the top tree, I couldn't see them until I took the forks off. I got 2" extensions from Papa Zook at Cut-N-Shoot. I can jack up my trike now, it handles better, and my bright lights shine down the road like they should. Made me a happy camper.

My 1500 with EZSteer has near about 1" aluminum extensions, but the parting line between aluminum extension bottom and steel fork tube top end is just about maybe exactly about 1/8" up into the lower edge of the top tree's clamps which I done on purpose. No one will ever see it without pulling the top tree off. At the time, I just wanted the steel fork tube top end itself supported within the top tree clamps … so I gave up an 1/8" … and when I was playing with different fork springs the top tree aligned threads very well when reinstalling the extensions which also compress fork springs.

I like the extensions also because I can remove fork caps without having the springs pop up … and through the hole in their centers I can pour new fork oil in at change time, using small funnel.

A quick and easy way to check rake is the 3 or 4 finger rule. No rake means you have very little clearance between lower cowling and lower tip of fender. With rake you should be able to get 3 or 4 fingers between lower cowling and lower tip of fender. The greater the degree of rake the more clearance you have. :wave4:

I get 2 1/2 fingers in there. Three will fit but it flexes the fender a bit. Thanks for that useful rule.

I have a post a few down on this forum relating my experience with the Champion trike on my 09 GL1800. Mine was too low to get my floor jack under, I had to run it up on a 2x6 to get the front high enough to jack up. Mine had 1" extensions, but you could not see them as they were under the top tree, I couldn't see them until I took the forks off. I got 2" extensions from Cut-N-Shoot. I can jack up my trike now, it handles better, and my bright lights shine down the road like they should. Made me a happy camper.

This answer hits all the points I was looking for, 'specially the "handles better" part. 2" Cut-N-Shoots are on the way. Thank you.

I have a post a few down on this forum relating my experience with the Champion trike on my 09 GL1800. Mine was too low to get my floor jack under, I had to run it up on a 2x6 to get the front high enough to jack up. Mine had 1" extensions, but you could not see them as they were under the top tree, I couldn't see them until I took the forks off. I got 2" extensions from Cut-N-Shoot. I can jack up my trike now, it handles better, and my bright lights shine down the road like they should. Made me a happy camper.

Got my 2" installed with the same results that you state. Glad I did it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png