Trying to figure what this is...

OK, so I ended up with this pretty cheap, and was toying with either putting it back to a 2 wheeler...because i have a swingarm and wheel set that would fit...

But also might keep it as a trike... Only not with those rear wheels (so dont bother flaming me for those...hahaha)

If i keep it, would do the usual 15 or 16, so I can get regular fenders etc.

However, I do have a couple questions, hoping someone knows the answers...

I am trying to find whose rear trike kit this is...only one I have seen so far similar, is the Frankenstein Trike Kits for Softail.

But those look like they have alloy spun axle covers (much fancier) than this one I have in pics.

So hoping someone will know so I can maybe just buy rear fenders to fit, rather than have to fabricate a set.

Also, cant tell what this little chrome box is (also in pics)... looks like either a starter box of some kind...(I assume, because I cant find a starter key or ignition of any kind... ) but had a couple people tell me it might be a air ride system.

I havent laid on the ground yet to look under... broken ribs... so hoping for an easy answer , before i have to start.IMG_20190820_184903172.jpgIMG_20190820_181440959.jpgIMG_20190820_181445018.jpgIMG_20190820_185016443.jpgIMG_20190820_185559359 (1).jpg

My first thought(s) was a Frankenstein kit but they aren't tubular I don't believe. Pure guess on my part is that it's home made but I'm sure you guys that have been triking would know better. I thought I might have a shot since I've been looking to convert for a long time but I've never seen anything quite like this one. Got me curious now too.:confused::Shrug:

:welcome: What a going , coming out of it :Shrug: hoses, wires , and what’s the green and red things ?

Ride Safe.

:welcome: What a going , coming out of it :Shrug: hoses, wires , and what’s the green and red things ?

Ride Safe.

Green is a indicator light of some kind.

Red button is a push button, so I was assuming starter.

Rocker switch is on it also... so was figuring air ride up/down or power kill switch.

I see wires in and out...but no hoses, but I cant see anything behind this, so the wires look like they are orderly, so might be going to a power panel, and maybe have air hoses behind ...

I'm leaning towards it being some kind of power box/starter assembly.

Once these ribs heal, I can get down and start pulling and looking etc...

But am curious , since I've been around motorcycles a long time, never saw any kind of box like this.

Also kind of dumbfounded that someone would build a bike like this, with no provision for a ignition lock, keyed security etc... so am going to have to sit down and see what I can do as far as that too.

Rear end appears to be a DNA. Mostly sold on E-bay. I think the rear end is durable enough, but I found the brakes to be inadequate. Hard to tell who made the mounts on yours.

Green is a indicator light of some kind.

Red button is a push button, so I was assuming starter.

Rocker switch is on it also... so was figuring air ride up/down or power kill switch.

I see wires in and out...but no hoses, but I cant see anything behind this, so the wires look like they are orderly, so might be going to a power panel, and maybe have air hoses behind ...

I'm leaning towards it being some kind of power box/starter assembly.

Once these ribs heal, I can get down and start pulling and looking etc...

But am curious , since I've been around motorcycles a long time, never saw any kind of box like this.

Also kind of dumbfounded that someone would build a bike like this, with no provision for a ignition lock, keyed security etc... so am going to have to sit down and see what I can do as far as that too.

Gota love a guy that answers his own question :clapping:Green light , ign on with rocker , push red , starter goes zoom , Simple starter relay under box. Doubt there is any air ride system. As it’s a simple trike set up. Heal up !

BTW, I like that thing , I’d leave it as a trike, and yup , those wheels are a little oversized and will screw up your low end take off. Could also be a early Frankenstein setup.

Rear end appears to be a DNA. Mostly sold on E-bay. I think the rear end is durable enough, but I found the brakes to be inadequate. Hard to tell who made the mounts on yours.

Thanks! Amazing how much more info I see on a search now that I know the DNA info. Really appreciated!

So looks like they have a decent rep etc... and I can handle upgraded brakes with no issues, I may even already have a set of PM calipers laying around.

But this will help me zero in on a fender system and sissybar assembly.

Thanks again!

Looks like you’ve got a good winter project!

Don’t rush those ribs!

Winter?!! I'm hoping to have this at least running by Labor Day.

Its been sitting for a few years in storage.

I scored it at a very reasonable cost, w/title so I grabbed it.

Battery and a few things, I should be able to do at least that.

Only real work is doing fenders and sissybar, changing those hideous rear wheels back to something respectable looking.

I'm learning a ton now that I know the rear end manufacturer (DNA)

Noticed the drive is now chain drive, versus I guess you can also keep a belt drive.

At this weight, I imagine this is a good thing.

Also heard some stuff about rake and trail, so I guess it would behoove me to know what I have going on with this also.

Any info, tips and advice welcomed and gratefully received! Thanks for all the welcomes also.

With that much extension and rake, I bet you hardly feel the front wheel contact at all. That could be a good or bad thing depending on the road, speed, etc. Looks like a fun project. A fellow here in Salem has almost the exact same set up and it's a DNA kit. Fortunately he is not running airplane sized wheels on it...lol. Have fun with it and leave it as a trike!

With that much extension and rake, I bet you hardly feel the front wheel contact at all. That could be a good or bad thing depending on the road, speed, etc. Looks like a fun project. A fellow here in Salem has almost the exact same set up and it's a DNA kit. Fortunately he is not running airplane sized wheels on it...lol. Have fun with it and leave it as a trike!

I just scored a couple 15 x 8 Chrome Half Moon Rims, to replace those...going to throw a new set of 225/60r15 on them.

Got a set of fenders too...

So changes are gonna come.

I live in Chicago so some gang member or tire shop will take the big ass wheels off my hands.

lts all coming together pretty fast now...all this info helped, a lot.

OK...so, have run into another case where no matter the search, cant find the info...

So looking for rear fenders , I tripped over a few I like...

But cant seem to find a separate bracket to mount them.

I dont have a body kit planned, so no way to hang them off a body.

The kit I liked, that looked easy and made for the DNA Trike kit/axle, has a too small fender.

And is "Out Of Stock" anyway.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/178-348/paughco-trike-conversion-black-powdercoat-fender-kit

And I saw another that had the whole kit...with a bracket I liked... but I just need the bracket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-TRI...ET-BRACKETS-FOR-DNA-PAUGHCO-NEW-/122857885754

So, does anyone know where I can just get an axle mount bracket for any fender that I decide on?

If its only for a half fender, fine...I just need to have fenders on this...

Running a 7 inch wide 15 rim and a 225/60r15 tire. 225 Tire is 8.9, so its a little tight I think for a 9 inch fender.

But as I'm not familar with tire/fender close tolerances, or trikes... maybe I'm leaving a little too much room if i go for 10 inch wide fenders, so any opinions (and or sources) are welcome.

If you can't find any "Bolt on" fenders/mountings for your ride, you'll have to either have a shop fab up something or do it yourself.

Not sure how handy with tools you are, but something from TS could potentially be adapted fairly easily to your framework.

Here's a link to some ideas on pre-fab fenders:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/trailer%20fenders

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-aluminum-fender-10-in-w-x-32-in-l?cm_vc=-10005

Good luck...

OK...so, have run into another case where no matter the search, cant find the info...

So looking for rear fenders , I tripped over a few I like...

But cant seem to find a separate bracket to mount them.

I dont have a body kit planned, so no way to hang them off a body.

The kit I liked, that looked easy and made for the DNA Trike kit/axle, has a too small fender.

And is "Out Of Stock" anyway.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/178-348/paughco-trike-conversion-black-powdercoat-fender-kit

And I saw another that had the whole kit...with a bracket I liked... but I just need the bracket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-TRI...ET-BRACKETS-FOR-DNA-PAUGHCO-NEW-/122857885754

So, does anyone know where I can just get an axle mount bracket for any fender that I decide on?

If its only for a half fender, fine...I just need to have fenders on this...

Running a 7 inch wide 15 rim and a 225/60r15 tire. 225 Tire is 8.9, so its a little tight I think for a 9 inch fender.

But as I'm not familar with tire/fender close tolerances, or trikes... maybe I'm leaving a little too much room if i go for 10 inch wide fenders, so any opinions (and or sources) are welcome.

Joe,

I believe you have a Santiago Chopper, or a copy of one. They are out of Florida and used the earlier version of what was to become the DNA rear axle. I think they fought with DNA over the rights. The picture below is one that I worked on in 2004 maybe. A VET bought it in Florida and brought it home to Baltimore. It had heavy fiberglass fenders and a steel 'fan mount' for the fenders. It is not a rigid but rode like one.

http://www.badassglass.us/trikefendersbodyaxle/13flattoptrikefender.html

Santiago Chopper.jpg

Back