Avon front tire

Got my Avon Trike Front Tire on the TG yesterday...have not even taken it off the lift yet. Will be riding some with it later today.

Tire.jpg

Have a few hundred miles riding with the Goodyear Comfortreds on the rear. So far I like them better than the stock Dunnies.

Kevin

Ok, I've ridden a bit now with the Avon Trike front tire. About 300 miles so far...75 of them in the rain.

The real test will be over the next 10,000 miles or so, but below are my first impressions.

I have not experienced any wandering, like some have. It is rock solid. BUT....

It has a very different feel to it. The best way I can describe it is that it feels light, like it does not have good contact with the ground. But this is not true, it has great contact with the ground. It has better front tire traction than the stock front tire, or the rear tire reversed I've run (American Elite). It just feels like it's not.

Having a hard time describing it, maybe it will feel more like a regular tire when it flattens out a bit with some wear.

After scrubbing it in, one of the first things I did was turn the front wheel sharply (at lower speeds) to see where it would break loose. Surprised the crap out of me, instead of the front tire breaking loose, I broke both of the rear tires loose. This was on dry asphalt.

This was not an anomaly. After my initial surprise, I then did it another 15-20 times, at varying speeds (all slower, I don't want to tip over), flat, uphill, downhill, in a curve. Amazingly, I can break the back tires loose at will, on dry asphalt, and the front tire just sticks.

In addition to riding it on backroads and interstate in dry conditions, I had a chance to ride both while it was raining. It handled the light (but steady) rain just fine.

After I get more miles on it, in a greater variety of condition, I'll report more.

Kevin

Ok, I've ridden a bit now with the Avon Trike front tire. About 300 miles so far...75 of them in the rain.

The real test will be over the next 10,000 miles or so, but below are my first impressions.

I have not experienced any wandering, like some have. It is rock solid. BUT....

It has a very different feel to it. The best way I can describe it is that it feels light, like it does not have good contact with the ground. But this is not true, it has great contact with the ground. It has better front tire traction than the stock front tire, or the rear tire reversed I've run (American Elite). It just feels like it's not.

Having a hard time describing it, maybe it will feel more like a regular tire when it flattens out a bit with some wear.

After scrubbing it in, one of the first things I did was turn the front wheel sharply (at lower speeds) to see where it would break loose. Surprised the crap out of me, instead of the front tire breaking loose, I broke both of the rear tires loose. This was on dry asphalt.

This was not an anomaly. After my initial surprise, I then did it another 15-20 times, at varying speeds (all slower, I don't want to tip over), flat, uphill, downhill, in a curve. Amazingly, I can break the back tires loose at will, on dry asphalt, and the front tire just sticks.

In addition to riding it on backroads and interstate in dry conditions, I had a chance to ride both while it was raining. It handled the light (but steady) rain just fine.

After I get more miles on it, in a greater variety of condition, I'll report more.

Kevin

👍🏻 Cool, Thank you for sharing not just this information but ALL the information you share!! If your ever “Out West”(Arizona way) I’d be glad to buy you a refreshment Sir!!😎

Kevin kind of summed it up, although when on the big road at 60-70 at 40psi was ok but diferent than the Dunlop, sensitive but no wander. It hops over uneven road conditions , and in the uneven twisties it will hop alot, but not slide. Am I happy with it ? I’ll give it a chance to wear a bit then descide. However it’s like new shoes , if there not comfy at first , they will never be ! :Shrug:

Kevin kind of summed it up, although when on the big road at 60-70 at 40psi was ok but diferent than the Dunlop, sensitive but no wander. It hops over uneven road conditions , and in the uneven twisties it will hop alot, but not slide. Am I happy with it ? I’ll give it a chance to wear a bit then descide. However it’s like new shoes , if there not comfy at first , they will never be ! :Shrug:

Don't have any of those issues with Avon tires. Had Dunlops on my last ride and switched to Avons and the ride and handling improved. Switched from Bridgestones to Avon on my current ride when it was still a two wheeler with the same improvement. Running the Avon trike tire now and it sticks to the road, handles well with no hopping and I get good mileage from them. I am a happy Avon customer.

Reactions: MDO
I think we've got around 600 miles on our new Avon Trike tire, so far I really like it. It proved itself well in Eureka Springs, never slipped once but Kevin and I both chirped the rear ones on the same curve, maybe a tad too aggressive, lol. I didn't experience any wandering at all, it was very solid.

Had my 2019 in the dealer yesterday, have 4/32 tread depth remaining on the front tire with 9K on it. Dealer suggests to replace at 3/32 tread depth. Do the Tri Glides eat tires? I'm not wanting to use the factory tire again with that miserable mileage.

Had my 2019 in the dealer yesterday, have 4/32 tread depth remaining on the front tire with 9K on it. Dealer suggests to replace at 3/32 tread depth. Do the Tri Glides eat tires? I'm not wanting to use the factory tire again with that miserable mileage.

I got 26,000 on my first Avon. Still was ok ,but I was leaving on a 5000+ trip & decided to change before I left. I changed the rears out also to Goodyear ComforTred. Really like the set up . The rear Dunlops are now on my trailer. Tread is very good but ride is much better on the Goodyears.. Also make sure Avon air pressure. Higher than the Dunlop.

I got 20K out of my first front tire on my '17. Got 16k out of the second one. Dealer tried to get me to change out all three tires while in for the 45k service. I did change the rear tires, at home, to Goodyear Comfortreds. Saved over $200 doing it myself. The front tire still has quite a bit of tread. I am going to ride it out to 15k and probably go with a different tire.

Avon trike AV71 tire

We finally got our AV 71 trike tire installed and have around 400 miles on it so far. Really like it as it handles well and rides excellent.

Have it on our 2010 Honda Goldwing CSC Cobra Trike.

Will see how it handles as we get more miles on it.

Just went over the 13,000 mark and my front OEM tire needs replaced. Probably start shopping around next week. I'm thinking Avon but only if it gets me 25,000 or so before it needs replaced, otherwise might as well put on another Dunlop.

beads

Jeff, what method of balancing are you using? My Indie tech installed mine with Dyno-beads. It does way better than the Dunlop that was on it before. I haven't noticed any twitching, running 40 lb. air.
New here and donot know what a dyno bead is.Can you tell me what that is.Thanks in advance.

We finally got our AV 71 trike tire installed and have around 400 miles on it so far. Really like it as it handles well and rides excellent.

Have it on our 2010 Honda Goldwing CSC Cobra Trike.

Will see how it handles as we get more miles on it.

AV71 is the discontinued tire. AV91 is the new Avon Trike tire. 71 was discontinued early last year

I like it

Rode most of last season with the Avon Trike tire. It does instill confidence in the twisties and the occasional off camber corners we

find around NY & PA. Have not been in any serious rain storms so cannot comment on wet situations. The profile provides a good contact patch

and grip while braking. Nothing scientific to back this up but it just feels better.

I had an Avon AV91 Cobra Chrome Trike Tire on my 2016 Tri Glide and loved its overall road handling and cornering capabilities in dry and wet conditions. Had mine balanced using Dyna Beads. Unfortunately, mine did cause the annoying buzzing through handlebars, but only @ 55-60 mph. Returned to the seller for full credit last fall and remounted the OEM Dunlop.

Was planning to buy another through Cycle Gear this spring, but since it looks like COVID-19 will affect my long haul touring plans, that purchase is now on hold. When travel restrictions are lifted, then I'll certainly buy another Avon AV91 Cobra Chrome Trike Tire!!

Was planning to buy another through Cycle Gear this spring, but since it looks like COVID-19 will affect my long haul touring plans, that purchase is now on hold. When travel restrictions are lifted, then I'll certainly buy another Avon AV91 Cobra Chrome Trike Tire!!

I was planning the same thing ... before Kerrville ... still planning it, just gonna be like 6 months later ... my stock feets will be fine for the 20-40 miles rides I'm getting in now.

I was planning the same thing ... before Kerrville ... still planning it, just gonna be like 6 months later ... my stock feels will be fine for the 20-40 miles rides I'm getting in now.

I actually put over 4500 (mainly Interstate/ US Hwy) miles on the Avon Cobra Chrome Trike Tire last summer, before removing and returning it last fall. So my OEM Dunlop only has around 9700 miles. But I certainly do miss the sure footed confidence and comfort I had with Cobra Chrome Trike Tire.:(

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png