Accessory Switch on and O2 sensors?

MDF48

250+ Posts
Feb 1, 2016
Pelham AL USA
I have the PV Auto Tune Target Tune setup on my 2016 TGU. This includes the wide band O2 sensors and the original factory O2 sensors unplugged but still in the head pipe. Today while listening to XM radio on my TGU while cleaning and oiling the K&M filter, I just happened to stick my fingers near the front O2 sensor and noticed it was very warm. The rear sensor was also warm as would be expected.

The ignition switch was in the accessory position and the bike was cold. It had been sitting in my shop since a ride yesterday. Normally the only thing, that I have noticed, that is on in the accy position is the tour pak lights, tag light, brake lights if the brake pedal is pushed, and the radio if turned on.

I know the O2 sensors are warmed up when you turn the ignition to the run position but I never expected them to be active in the accy position. I don't know if this occurred with the stock O2 sensors or not, but I would have to "ASSUME" it did. Any thoughts on this? Jack Klarich ????? BTW, this would increase the load on the battery a good bit.

Mike, if I am reading this correctly you have other than OEM wide band O2 sensors on your trike? I am thinking your O2 sensors are heated type similar to what is found on most all cars and light trucks now. I do not understand them being live (hot) in the accessory mode. I would take a look @ the electrical manual to see the circuit. I do not have one at this time. JMO

Yes Automotive type.

Mike, if I am reading this correctly you have other than OEM wide band O2 sensors on your trike? I am thinking your O2 sensors are heated type similar to what is found on most all cars and light trucks now. I do not understand them being live (hot) in the accessory mode. I would take a look @ the electrical manual to see the circuit. I do not have one at this time. JMO

Jack, the entire Power Vision Tuner and Auto Tune Pro kit was originally purchased from FuelMoto in 2013 and later was updated to the Target Tune package in 2017. It is the larger automotive style 02 sensors. If I am not mistaken I believe they still use the large O2 wide band sensors in the kits.

I have wondered why they couldn't use the smaller size like the factory narrow band sensors. However, I am not knowledgeable about that topic and never even asked if they make the small size in wide band sensors. I think I will inquire about that later.

Do you know if the regular factory narrow band sensors activate in the accessory position? I suppose that the base Target Tune starting file provided by fuelmoto for tuning could have something in it that turns the O2's on even in accessory mode. Also, I guess the heating of the O2's by the battery would stop when the head pipe heats the sensors to a certain temp anyway?

I do not know the answer, tho I would be very surprised to find out that the accessory switch mode would turn on the heating of the sensors.

I agree with both of you. Strange that the O2 sensors would be heated up in the accessory position.

I have the Target Tune on my Sportster. Will check and see if they pre-heat on it while in the accessory position.

btw, the reason the Target Tune uses wide band sensors is to give a more precise tune throughout the entire rpm/load range.

When I went from the basic Power Vision to the Target Tune PV on my sporty I gained a solid 10% in power, and in a few spots as much as 15%. I also had a 5 mpg increase in fuel efficiency. It's a pretty sweet set up.

Kevin

According to Jamie.

I agree with both of you. Strange that the O2 sensors would be heated up in the accessory position.

I have the Target Tune on my Sportster. Will check and see if they pre-heat on it while in the accessory position.

btw, the reason the Target Tune uses wide band sensors is to give a more precise tune throughout the entire rpm/load range.

When I went from the basic Power Vision to the Target Tune PV on my sporty I gained a solid 10% in power, and in a few spots as much as 15%. I also had a 5 mpg increase in fuel efficiency. It's a pretty sweet set up.

Kevin

I spoke with Jamie at FuelMoto this morning about this topic. He advised that YES, anytime the key is on, the Target Tune Module is going to activate the warming of the O2 sensors. It appears it is hard coded into the module and not the Target Tune activated tune file. I am very satisfied with the Target Tune system and the way my TGU is running after about 6 TT runs. It runs a little rich but performance is good.

I guess this little inconvenience with the sensors is aggravating but I can live with it. Jamie did advise that when I am finished making tuning runs and have my final tune loaded, I can just disconnect the cable going into the TT module and bypass it.

As long as the wide band sensors are still installed and plugged up, the TT tune will still be active. This would supposedly keep the O2 sensors from coming on in the accy position since it is not the tune file in the ECM causing this...it is in the TT module which would now be bypassed.

Of course when needed you can just plug the module back up and make more tune runs if needed when you change anything engine related.

I spoke with Jamie at FuelMoto this morning about this topic. He advised that YES, anytime the key is on, the Target Tune Module is going to activate the warming of the O2 sensors. It appears it is hard coded into the module and not the Target Tune activated tune file. I am very satisfied with the Target Tune system and the way my TGU is running after about 6 TT runs. It runs a little rich but performance is good.

I guess this little inconvenience with the sensors is aggravating but I can live with it. Jamie did advise that when I am finished making tuning runs and have my final tune loaded, I can just disconnect the cable going into the TT module and bypass it.

As long as the wide band sensors are still installed and plugged up, the TT tune will still be active. This would supposedly keep the O2 sensors from coming on in the accy position since it is not the tune file in the ECM causing this...it is in the TT module which would now be bypassed.

Of course when needed you can just plug the module back up and make more tune runs if needed when you change anything engine related.

Interesting little anomaly. At least now we know. I rarely, like hardly ever, use the accessory mode.

If you feel you tune is a bit rich...why not lean it up a bit? That is the beauty of the Target Tune, you can target an AFR and it will adjust, on the fly, to keep it there.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png