Primary cover bolt with striped head.

Apr 29, 2020
Brooksville Fl.
Decided to change fluids today on my new to me 2011 trI glide. Everything is going smooth until it came time to take the primary cover off. Previous owner used red locktite. I got the first one to break free with a lot of muscle. The second one striped the T27 head. The next one broke my T27 bit. Went out and got a new bit and finally got 4 off.

my problem is the one with the stripped head. Any thought on how to get this one out? It’s too late to go to the Harley dealer. The primary fluid is drained.

TIA.

Hi Ed, Welcome to Trike Talk

I assume you are talking about the derby cover?

If you have a dremel tool you can try grinding a screw driver slot in the bolt head. Before trying to remove it try a heat gun or even a hair dryer heat to the area, This will help loosen the loctite.

Drilling the head of the bolt is another option. Once drilled the cover will pop off and you can use a stud remover or vise grip on the bolt. Good luck

Reactions: MDO
Yep derby cover. I’ll try the dermal and a BA screwdriver. Worst case is I’ll have to get a new derby cover. As long as I don’t hit the primary case cover.

Thanks.

Ok time for an update. I’m back on the road. Used a dermal and tried the BA screwdriver. Even with a vice grip on the screwdriver it only knocked off a chunk of the head off. Drill time. Drilled the head and knocked it off. Derby cover came off. Vise grips and a little heat got the stud out.

unfortunately I damaged the cover. Wen to the local dealer and picked one up with screws. I will be replacing them with the socket head screws suggested above.

Thanks for everyone’s help. This is my first Harley and I don’t have much experience doing maintenance on a motorcycle. This forum is a great resource guide.

Thanks again now it’s beer time.

When doing fluid changes I always loosen the screws on the derby cover before draining the fluid. Ditto on the oil filter . . . especially the first service. I've had a few oil filters that were almost welded on from the factory. On one bike I totally twisted the body of the oil filter before it finally broke loose. Don't want to leave myself in a vulnerable position with no fluid and no way to replenish. Just sayin'.

When doing fluid changes I always loosen the screws on the derby cover before draining the fluid. Ditto on the oil filter . . . especially the first service. I've had a few oil filters that were almost welded on from the factory. On one bike I totally twisted the body of the oil filter before it finally broke loose. Don't want to leave myself in a vulnerable position with no fluid and no way to replenish. Just sayin'.

The Golden Rule;)

At least with the socket head screw, if you strip it out (which will be hard being stainless steel), you have enough to grasp with vice grips. Glad that you got it worked out!

Good tip on loosening the screws first. I have found that using blue removable Loctite & torqueing to the correct spec will fix the problem.

Except for the military, I have torqued this trike more than anything ever. So far it's working out.

1 other tip is to use a socket on the 3 drain plugs...they will easily strip using a hexhead socket.

I agree, Jerry. I remove the cover first to check the oil level. Then drain it.

I have used a small chisel to give the screw a good tap which will almost always break the torx bolt loose if the head is stripped out,but with red loctite preheating is mandatory.Its beyond me why anyone would use red loctite on engine covers.I dont use blue loctite on engine covers,the twin cams and M8s are pretty smooth running engines.

when I worked at a shop years ago aways gave all the fasteners a wack with a hand impact first then finish taking them off with a t handle or speedhandle. Red Loctite still needs some heat.

when I worked at a shop years ago aways gave all the fasteners a wack with a hand impact first then finish taking them off with a t handle or speedhandle. Red Loctite still needs some heat.

First used an impact driver like this in the 70's. Phillips head screws on dirt bike were always stripped out. I was going to suggest the same tool for this application. Friends 2 wheeler had a rear rotor Torx that broke a t-45 using a breaker bar and impact driver loosened it right up.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cisco

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cisco
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png