Roadstar

If I was 20 years younger I might have strength to try a build.

I did about 7 years ago bring a total POS Valkyrie back form the dead. Rebuilt it to 98% OEM with NOS parts.

Cost me a small fortune took a little less then a year to do. Couldn't get anyone to build me a metric trike. Again sold it for a big loss.

Today I cant work on anything for more then 30 minutes. Its all I have in me. So seeing what your doing is a pleasure.

I hope the build goes well for you and your wife enjoys the ride.

we can build a trike out of most anything

Attachments

• rf 110.jpg
    rf 110.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 86
  • sP1010041.JPG
    sP1010041.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 94
  • sP1010040.JPG
    sP1010040.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 97
Awesome

With everything going on, it's been some time posting. What is that independent rear end from? That's much more engineering than I've done or even want to do. I really do like that setup.

Progress

We took the bikes on a trip to Eureka Springs Arkansas. Mechanically both bikes did great! The RoadStar had one minor issue that I took care of in a few minutes. The Stratoliner body was being held on by bungee cords by the time we got home. Louisiana roads, especially around Lafayette, are horrendous! That area is so bad we had to pull off the highway a few times to give my back a break and tighten the bungee cords.

Anyway, once we recovered from the ride, I got to work on the RoadStar for painting. Tore it down, went through the mechanics, adjusted a few things, and began priming and sanding. Coated the underside with flex seal white and then began painting the top side with gloss white Rust-Oleum oil base paint. Shot two wet coats over two days and it shines! Going to be shooting KBS Diamond Clear with some pearl additive in the next few days.

The high temps might put that on hold for a while though. Maximum recommended temperature is 80 degrees and it's been hitting 106 under the carport. Pretty sure my wife won't let me paint in the house.But here are a few pictures of her pretty gloss white parts.

RoadStar Body before Clear Coat.jpgRoadStar Fender before Clear Coat.jpgRoadStar Tank before Clear Coat.jpgRoadStar Trunk Before Clear Coat.jpg

Attachments

• RoadStar Trunk.jpg
    RoadStar Trunk.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 78
Front Fender

Fabricated some forms and using epoxy resin, fiberglass cloth with mat, I now have some fender skirts. Just finished fitting them to the RoadStar. Cut out the area for the forks to pass, pressed a piece of PVC pipe to the forks, and laminated three layers of six ounce fiberglass cloth. Tomorrow I will see what the look like. As I type, I realize I'll either have to finish them on the bike or make the fork covers removable as they will not pass over the fender mounts. Oops!

Front Fender Skirt with Fork Cover.jpgFront View of Front Fender with Skirt.jpg

Painting

Finished the fender skirts and began painting. Had to repaint the front fender as I messed it up fiber-glassing the fender skirts to fit it. One more good wet coat of white, let dry several days, and then mix some pearl with clear and clear coat everything... And NO, that is not a wheel and tire. It's my barrel fan!!!

Fender Skirts 1st Coat.jpgRear Fender Skirt in Position.jpg

I think you gotta come to the Maggie Valley in Sept to show us your handi work. I can just imagine the talk at the evening rocking chair conferences in front of the rooms.:cool:

Thank You

I think you gotta come to the Maggie Valley in Sept to show us your handi work. I can just imagine the talk at the evening rocking chair conferences in front of the rooms.:cool:

That does sound great. But I have a secret plan to take my wife to Iowa and have someone airbrush horses on her bike. She has always been a horse lover and I want to surprise her.

Of course with the direction this country is going, plans might change at a moments notice...

That does sound great. But I have a secret plan to take my wife to Iowa and have someone airbrush horses on her bike. She has always been a horse lover and I want to surprise her.

Of course with the direction this country is going, plans might change at a moments notice...

What a neat surprise! Hope it all goes as planned...post pics if you can... there are horse lovers here on TrikeTalk too!

Progress

First I wish to say thank you for the comments.

Today I placed most of the parts on her bike just to see what it will look like. Working one section or component at a time doesn't show you the whole picture. I'm letting the paint dry a few more days before clear coating with a bit of pearl additive. Also trying to slap together an oven to cure the powder coating on the valve covers. Those covers had blistered so bad they were embarrassing. White powder coat and then shoot some clear at the same time I shoot the other parts..

Tease 1.jpgTease 2.jpgTease 3.jpgTease 4.jpg

Progress

Been having severe issues getting the clear coat to lay flat. Once I spray a pass of clear, I can't see where the next pass goes. My eye sight and color blindness sucks. Spent twice the amount for clear paint than I budgeted. But it happens. Of course once I got the clear top coat done and cured, I just HAD to drop the body during the installation scratching the hell out of the right side. Touching it up failed big time so I came up with a matt black stripe to cover them after I filled and sanded them smooth. As soon as I hunt Murphy down I am going to beat him senseless! Stupid law!!!!

Front Fender 1.jpgFront Fender 2.jpgFront Fender 3.jpg

Been having severe issues getting the clear coat to lay flat. Once I spray a pass of clear, I can't see where the next pass goes. My eye sight and color blindness sucks. Spent twice the amount for clear paint than I budgeted. But it happens. Of course once I got the clear top coat done and cured, I just HAD to drop the body during the installation scratching the hell out of the right side. Touching it up failed big time so I came up with a matt black stripe to cover them after I filled and sanded them smooth. As soon as I hunt Murphy down I am going to beat him senseless! Stupid law!!!!

View attachment 91680View attachment 91681View attachment 91682

Happens to all of us sooner or later. When I first backed mine off the lift, I backed into my truck:mad:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png