Tire Pressure for MPA Front Tire

cScjhb

2500+ Posts
May 6, 2020
Mesa, Arid-Zone-A
I have a new to me 2008 GL1800 Honda with California Side Car trike. My front tire is a Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70R18 rear motorcycle tire mounted backwards. I have had several 2 wheel Goldwings and am a fanatic about tire pressures. I always kept the pressures at 41#s with good results. Research here suggests the best pressure for that tire should be about 38#s. For those of you running 38, have you had any unusual wear or cupping problems? I know that underinflation will result in cupping issues, but looking for advice from those with experience. Thanks..... Jim

I have a new to me 2008 GL1800 Honda with California Side Car trike. My front tire is a Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70R18 rear motorcycle tire mounted backwards. I have had several 2 wheel Goldwings and am a fanatic about tire pressures. I always kept the pressures at 41#s with good results. Research here suggests the best pressure for that tire should be about 38#s. For those of you running 38, have you had any unusual wear or cupping problems? I know that underinflation will result in cupping issues, but looking for advice from those with experience. Thanks..... Jim

I have same Gold Wing but with Motor Trike Adventure kit.

My front tires have both been BT45’s, run in forward position, start out cold pressure at 38#, one-up always.

NO problems of ANY kind. I had added RIDE-ON to the 2nd tire (as well as the back tires)... still just smooth and stable and looking good.

I usually pay attention to tire pressure as well. I have a MPA on the front. I havent done much riding this year so havent really paid attention to the tire pressures. I have been keeping the trike at my other place this year. I usually keep it right around 38psi and it has been wearing well. I recently went on a road trip and didnt think about checking the tire pressures til about a week into the trip. I had already done about 2400 miles. When I checked, the front tire was at about 32psi cold in the morning. I noticed that it was also cupping pretty badly. I bumped it up to around 40psi. I ended up adding about another 1000 miles to it before getting home. It rides pretty harsh now and I noticed at highway speeds going in right sweepers, I get a bad vibration. As soon as I straighten out again, most of the vibration disappears. The positive to this is that I have a brand new Avon Trike tire and just needed the right excuse to get it mounted. But I will say that the MPA has served me well and the problems with it are my own stupid fault. There is still plenty of tread depth but the cupping happened because I didnt maintain proper tire pressure. It wore very well at 38psi and gave me a good ride. It was several years old and had gone on a few several thousand mile road trips as well as running around locally.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png