Check Your Harley Shift Linkage

If you are like me you want to stay ahead of trouble. This video will show why many riders are having trouble with their shifters.

Never had a problem with the front part of the shifter rod....But twice i had to fix the rear of the rod....[2011 Tri-Glide]....And irregardless of what a dealer will tell you' You can just loosen the allen slide it off the shaft and it will drop down to the floor ...New bolt [Allen] And file the split camp at the split with a jewelers file so the clamp gets a tighter grip..

Ive done that many times on the shift pedal's on my Honda ATC's...

I replaced mine right off the bat on my 18, went with the harley linkage with heim joints, had it on the other trike as well, it sure helps on shifting or at least it feels like it, took my time and got them set the way I wanted, could be why it shifts easier, who knows but I'm happy.

And Jack you are right, very weak point for harley you would think they could do a better job from the factory but then they would lose out on sales for the shifter with heim joints.

All for now Trampas

Jack, I may have asked this before, but does this affect the M8s?

I have checked my 17 and after 3 years, it looks fine. I need to just change to the heim joints & be done with it.

Jack, I may have asked this before, but does this affect the M8s?

I have checked my 17 and after 3 years, it looks fine. I need to just change to the heim joints & be done with it.

Yup, keep an eye on it, grab the heel toe and see if you have excessive play. Replace the rod ends with heim joints sooner than later. The rod ends can fail at any time. The shifter shaft that runs thru the top of the primary wears the splines and inner shifter arm

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png