WHIM and Harley branded Sena 20s on 2019 Triglide

Feb 17, 2020
Yantis, Texas USA
For those of you who have a 2019 Tri Glide, if you have had a WHIM installed and have the Harley branded Sena 20S headsets how would you rate it? 1) Does it work seamlessly with the 6.5 Boom and work with all its features? 2) Does the intercom work well with the passenger? 3) Can you use Apple Car Play? 4) How is the sound of the speakers? 5) With a 2019 model did you need the harness in addition to the WHIM? 6) Does the wind noise break VOX very often or can you set the VOX to where the wind noise does not break VOX but yet your voice will when communicating to the passenger? ( I find the VOX very difficult to find the sweet sot on my Tri Gilde) 7) Any other points you want to add that I have missed would be great.

My current set up is a wired one using EdSets headsets and unfortunately Ed is no longer in business. I also have a Freedom Shield windshield so the wind is really blocked well. I am considering going to a wireless system so we are not tethered. The wife and I both have full faced Nolan helmets which we both really like. I appreciate all input and sorry for all the questions but each of them are important points considering the cost to make such a change. Thanks everyone.

Torc T28's

Sorry, I can't speak directly to your questions but I have a '21 with two Torc 28s. I haven't devoted a ton of brain cells to the set up but I will say that the intercom doesn't play well with playing music and the sound quality is not that great. The volume is good even at 75-80 but it sounds like someone dropped some headphones in an empty coke can.

Sorry, I can't speak directly to your questions but I have a '21 with two Torc 28s. I haven't devoted a ton of brain cells to the set up but I will say that the intercom doesn't play well with playing music and the sound quality is not that great. The volume is good even at 75-80 but it sounds like someone dropped some headphones in an empty coke can.

Paul..........Welcome To Trike-Talk......:wave4:.....

I'll keep tabs on this thread the bride 👰 and I are going to be going wireless in the spring and errands welcome to the forum from Western Pennsylvania. Travel safe Fred

I had a WHIM installed at purchase of my 2019, and had the Harley 30Ks already. I will say the stereo is nice. There is some wind noise on VOX if not set right and the PAX is soft spoken. That said, very happy with ours. We enjoy chatting while seeing the country side go by. No freeways for us.

I had a WHIM installed at purchase of my 2019, and had the Harley 30Ks already. I will say the stereo is nice. There is some wind noise on VOX if not set right and the PAX is soft spoken. That said, very happy with ours. We enjoy chatting while seeing the country side go by. No freeways for us.

Thanks Rider70 for your opinion. I guess the VOX issue is going to be a problem regardless of wired or not. I wish Harley would improve that issue with their infotainment units. We wear full faced helments and have our mic angled upward and still have the issue. You either have the music cutting in and out or have the VOX set so low you have to yell into the mic to use the intercom. Frustrating to say the least. It was that way on our 2009 Ultra Classic too.

Thanks Rider70 for your opinion. I guess the VOX issue is going to be a problem regardless of wired or not. I wish Harley would improve that issue with their infotainment units. We wear full faced helments and have our mic angled upward and still have the issue. You either have the music cutting in and out or have the VOX set so low you have to yell into the mic to use the intercom. Frustrating to say the least. It was that way on our 2009 Ultra Classic too.

We use wired J&M headsets with HJC modular helmets. Vox works OK as long as there is very little wind. However if the wind picks up and especially gusts the we have the same vox problems you described . . . and have had on many of our various HDs but the models with the Boom Box seem to be worse than the older Harmon Kardon radios.

We use wired J&M headsets with HJC modular helmets. Vox works OK as long as there is very little wind. However if the wind picks up and especially gusts the we have the same vox problems you described . . . and have had on many of our various HDs but the models with the Boom Box seem to be worse than the older Harmon Kardon radios.

Thanks for the feedback. We had the older HK on the 2009 Ultra Classic and I agree that the Boom is worse (or more sensitive) than the HK units. Seems that issue could be easily solved but maybe I am expecting too much. I also agree with the gusts really messing it up. Especially when the gusts comes from the sides of the helmet. Our full faced Nolan helmets are fantastic and provide a lot of wind buffeting but we still have issues.

Whim installed here

I have the whim and the HD Sena 20s headsets on our 2020 TG. We use 3/4 open face helmets. Car play works good. Siri works better. Phone calls are fantastic. Radio works great. All this works only if you are connected to the boom box 6.5 thru your sena headsets. If you are not connected with the sena, car play will not work. I am extremely happy with the whim and Sena setup. Bike to bike com is fantastic. No wind interference in any of the above mention things. Just using the supplied wind socks from sena.

I have the whim and the HD Sena 20s headsets on our 2020 TG. We use 3/4 open face helmets. Car play works good. Siri works better. Phone calls are fantastic. Radio works great. All this works only if you are connected to the boom box 6.5 thru your sena headsets. If you are not connected with the sena, car play will not work. I am extremely happy with the whim and Sena setup. Bike to bike com is fantastic. No wind interference in any of the above mention things. Just using the supplied wind socks from sena.

Thanks windsurfed. Sounds like you have found the HD Sena20s to work quite well with the WHIM. Those are all the things I want it to do that you listed. I use Carplay and Siri all the time now with our wired system. We only need the intercom to work between the wife as a passenger and me driving and not bike to bike. Were the Senas hard to install in your helmets? I hope my EdSets can easily be removed from our Nolan helmets.

One other question, when you have all of this setup, do you still use (press) the voice command button to ask Siri to perform functions with the Boom Box.

Answer to question

Thanks windsurfed. Sounds like you have found the HD Sena20s to work quite well with the WHIM. Those are all the things I want it to do that you listed. I use Carplay and Siri all the time now with our wired system. We only need the intercom to work between the wife as a passenger and me driving and not bike to bike. Were the Senas hard to install in your helmets? I hope my EdSets can easily be removed from our Nolan helmets.

One other question, when you have all of this setup, do you still use (press) the voice command button to ask Siri to perform functions with the Boom Box.

We also have Nolan Helmets. Very easy to install the sena's. Yes you just use the voice command button to activate Siri. Works like a champ. It does every thing you would expect it to do. Before I had the whim installed I used the HD headset like yourself. Anything you can do with your HD headset can be performed now with the whim/HD sena 20s evo set up. The only difference is you are not tethered anymore to the HD dedicated Communication port plugs. And your pocket book will be a lot lighter.

We also have Nolan Helmets. Very easy to install the sena's. Yes you just use the voice command button to activate Siri. Works like a champ. It does every thing you would expect it to do. Before I had the whim installed I used the HD headset like yourself. Anything you can do with your HD headset can be performed now with the whim/HD sena 20s evo set up. The only difference is you are not tethered anymore to the HD dedicated Communication port plugs. And your pocket book will be a lot lighter.

Thanks again. Sounds like a great setup. I hear you on the pocket book. I figure to buy two headsets, the WHIM, and get the WHIM installed at the HD dealership (I will not do it myself) and then get the unit flashed, will set me back about $1500.

Thanks again. Sounds like a great setup. I hear you on the pocket book. I figure to buy two headsets, the WHIM, and get the WHIM installed at the HD dealership (I will not do it myself) and then get the unit flashed, will set me back about $1500.

Just looking at my cost from the Dealer. I only bought 1 head set from the dealer. Bought the other one brand new off eBay from a gentlemen that just bought a TG CVO and they give one with it and he did not need it. I got it for $187. So........ Dealer Sena $299+Whim $299+Labor install $157.50+ Tax $67.84+ Ebay Sena $187=$1010.34. I am a thinking you should get all that for around the same price.

Installing the WHIM on the tri glide is easy. I did a video after the install but I also did one on the Road Glide a bit more detailed. I have the HD Sena 20s EVO's and they work great. You will also want to upgrade the helmet speakers with the new Sena HD speakers. I also made a quick video on that.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png