freewheeler 2021

Jul 13, 2021
sydney
Just thought i would post a few observations of my new trike. First of all is the rear suspension , seems like Harley has listened to all the feedback on the rear shocks. They now run coilover shocks on the back.Reducing the rear tires to 22psi and it rides pretty well even on bumpy roads.The second thing i noticed is the muffler changeover ,harley wanted 2 and a half hours labour to changeover . The access to the bolts make it a ten minute job , i ended up just removing the baffles and putting in a thunder torque insert . Worked a treat,sounded great and went really well. No loss of power . I put on a screen from Harley [smoked 16 inch]. I thinkk i need to go with a 20 inch clear screen .The wind seems to be really buffering on my old head with the 16 inch one. Any advice on this would be much appreciated Thanks

a I put on a screen from Harley [smoked 16 inch said:
. I thinkk i need to go with a 20 inch clear screen .The wind seems to be really buffering on my old head with the 16 inch one. Any advice on this would be much appreciated Thanks

I've been struggling with the windshield height question for a couple of weeks as well. Unless you have a source of sizes you can conveniently test out seems all you can do is guess and hope for the best. The manufacturers will gladly keep selling you windshields until you get the one you want, of course they won't buy back the ones you don't want. Good luck.

I've been struggling with the windshield height question for a couple of weeks as well. Unless you have a source of sizes you can conveniently test out seems all you can do is guess and hope for the best. The manufacturers will gladly keep selling you windshields until you get the one you want, of course they won't buy back the ones you don't want. Good luck.

The Harley dealers I’ve been in have a wall of sample windshields and will let you try one for a short ride till you find one you like…👌Sometimes they have sample seats to try out..

The Harley dealers I’ve been in have a wall of sample windshields and will let you try one for a short ride till you find one you like…👌Sometimes they have sample seats to try out..

My dealer is in Delaware. I'm sure they'd accommodate me but it's an hour and a half one way and time constraints haven't been kind to my riding wants. I'm lucky if I get time to take the long way to lunch. :(

Windshield

My 2020 FreeWheeler came with a sixteen " windshield, I found it to be a little low.

Instead of changing it out I decided to keep it mounted to original brackets and found a slightly used Road King 20 " windshield with brackets on Face book for 75.00. After using the RK shield for a few weeks I purchased a

21 " extra wide with center vent from Clear View shields, it along with a set of fork fangs make my ride very pleasant. I never thought I would ride looking through a windshield but this one is a keeper.

Later on I may purchase a 18" to replace the sixteen.

muffle change

Can you explain a bit more about your muffler change? What bolts are you referring to? Did you remove the "cat"? Thanks, I'm new to this.

Put a level against the end of your nose and the right windshield will be at the other end.

Place a level on the end of your nose and the proper windshield will be at the other end.

Can you explain a bit more about your muffler change? What bolts are you referring to? Did you remove the "cat"? Thanks, I'm new to this.

There are two bolts that attach the muffler to the hanger bracket. These are located near the trunk end of the muffler.

There is also a muffler bracket that clamps the muffler to the exhaust pipe.

The rearmost of the two bolts that attach to the hanger bracket can be a bit difficult to remove and then reinsert but there are a few tips that can make it a far easier job.

John, the muffler bolts on Triglides and Freewheeler muffler hangars are not a lot of fun to remove. Lay on the floor and reach up to the top of the mufflers, you will see how tough they can be

Some remove the body to swap them out, if you are patient it can be done without removal of the body, it just takes longer

Have a look here, you will see the mufflers, hangars and rear bolts

HD17FLHTCUTG082.gif

There are two bolts that attach the muffler to the hanger bracket. These are located near the trunk end of the muffler.

The rearmost of the two bolts that attach to the hanger bracket can be a bit difficult to remove and then reinsert but there are a few tips that can make it a far easier job.

Thanks for the info. Been riding all summer and fall, so I'm back at the task. I've looked at YouTube for video's not much at all on the freewheeler. So I understand you comments, are you saying it's easier to remove the entire exhaust if you remove the trunk first?

but there are a few tips that can make it a far easier job....what tips and where???

Thanks for the info. Been riding all summer and fall, so I'm back at the task. I've looked at YouTube for video's not much at all on the freewheeler. So I understand you comments, are you saying it's easier to remove the entire exhaust if you remove the trunk first?

but there are a few tips that can make it a far easier job....what tips and where???

I found the tips in various threads on this forum. It’s been a while and I don’t remember what I searched for to find them.,

The one that was most helpful was to loosen the two bolts on the hanger bracket and slide the bracket as far away from the rear of the bike as you can.

This will give you more room to get a wrench onto the bolts.

A ratcheting wrench make this easier but a box or open end wrench will work. If you have a thin one like a Snap On it is even easier. The one bolt is much easier to get on than the other.

Removing the bolts is far easier than getting them back in and started. I used a bit of rope caulk on the inside of the jaws of a thin open end wrench to hold the bolt in place on the wrench. It took a few times to find the correct orientation of the bolt so the threads would start as I could only do about a 1/4 turn before the wrench ran into something.

I did not remove the trunk to do this job.

I’m not to good at describing this stuff so I hope you can figure out what I am trying to say.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png