Battery tender cable

Billr13

10+ Posts
Jul 21, 2017
Shannon IL USA
My 2017 Tri Glide factory battery tender cable not working. Seems to be an open some where. Is there a fuse for it? I checked the fuse block, those are all good. Thank You

My battery tender pigtail has an inline fuse about 4 to 5 inches from the battery.

With the tender disconnected, a volt meter will read 12 volts on the pigtail from the battery if that fuse is good. No voltage and the fuse is probably bad. Easy way to check without taking anything apart if it's good.

My battery tender pigtail has an inline fuse about 4 to 5 inches from the battery.

With the tender disconnected, a volt meter will read 12 volts on the pigtail from the battery if that fuse is good. No voltage and the fuse is probably bad. Easy way to check without taking anything apart if it's good.

I get zero volts. I checked the fuses in the fuse block all are good. I will look around the battery.

Thank you

I get zero volts. I checked the fuses in the fuse block all are good. I will look around the battery.

Thank you

I would double check the fuses sometimes they will look good but are bad .. Not like the old glass fuses where you can see when there bunt out….Which leads to another question…It is rare that a fuse would burn out on a battery maintainer pig tail…Have you plugged something into it to over load it???

If my memory serves me correct max load is 8 Amps…

I have 6 battery tenders, over the winter my trike was plugged in went to start it in December the battery dead, buy a new battery 3 weeks later battery dead, ended having two bad battery tenders, some of them could be 25 years old or older, And I have had bad fuses in the battery tender cable ?

I have 6 battery tenders, over the winter my trike was plugged in went to start it in December the battery dead, buy a new battery 3 weeks later battery dead, ended having two bad battery tenders, some of them could be 25 years old or older, And I have had bad fuses in the battery tender cable ?

​I had the same problem but replaced the battery tender, plugged it into the "dead" battery and a couple days later, zoom-zoom...

The red light just flashes. Been flashing for a few days. I put a meter on the connector and zero volts, should get 12 volts

From my past experience, a red light flashing on the tender means the tender is bad/corraded. Which tender do you have? Have you ever used it outside or near any water.

The red light just flashes. Been flashing for a few days. I put a meter on the connector and zero volts, should get 12 volts

Does the trike start when you hit the start button???

A red light flashing for a few days means the battery‘s dead and that’s why you don’t get a voltage reading from the pigtail ?

From my past experience, a red light flashing on the tender means the tender is bad/corraded. Which tender do you have? Have you ever used it outside or near any water.

What does it mean when battery tender is flashing red?

➢ RED FLASHING - When the red light is flashing, the AC power is applied to the charger and the microprocessor circuitry is functioning properly. There is no battery connected or there is a problem with the connections between the charger and the battery.

If your battery is dead, a tender will NOT bring it back to life

The micro processor will not turn the tender on, you will see the flashing red light continue

➢ RED FLASHING - When the red light is flashing, the AC power is applied to the charger and the microprocessor circuitry is functioning properly. There is no battery connected or there is a problem with the connections between the charger and the battery.

Be careful here.My '18 FLRT battery tender pigtail Does Not connect directly to the battery.Connector 281B the red lead connects to R/Be wire to the P&A Relay. Then on to connector 312A&B. The black lead connects to various other points in the main harness. The whole shebang terminates at the rear lighting of all places. If the battery tender is suspect shitcan it and buy a new one. Cheaper than a main/ branch harness.

A red light flashing for a few days means the battery‘s dead and that’s why you don’t get a voltage reading from the pigtail ?

My red light was flashing. When I hit the starter, it started. Switched tender and, withing a few minutes, it was green. My experience says, "red light flashing", bad tender.

My 2017 Tri Glide factory battery tender cable not working. Seems to be an open some where. Is there a fuse for it? I checked the fuse block, those are all good. Thank You

Had a problem with Battery Tender with old bike. It ended up being the connector TO the battery. Put on a new one and it worked fine. Good luck.

Jack - thanks - I am aware of what that says in the book...been there, done that. Actually, the book list several - you seem to have chosen just one.

Again, from my experience, he has a bad tender. We will all find out if he chooses to plug that tender into another unit and still get the red flashing light or, if he simply uses a different tender and wait for it to turn green.

He still hasn't answered - do the bike start. Let's see how this shakes out.

Jack - thanks - I am aware of what that says in the book...been there, done that. Actually, the book list several - you seem to have chosen just one.

Again, from my experience, he has a bad tender. We will all find out if he chooses to plug that tender into another unit and still get the red flashing light or, if he simply uses a different tender and wait for it to turn green.

He still hasn't answered - do the bike start. Let's see how this shakes out.

It would be good to know 4 sure what tender he is using, and agree he needs to answer if his bike starts, if I were a betting man my guess would be not

I have tried a couple different chargers. The trike starts and runs. I put a tender on the battery with clamps and it charges ok, just not with the tail.

I thank everyone for the info. I have Saturday off. I am going to the Harley shop and bug them.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammybo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammybo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png