2023 Freewheeler

Photo leaked by Harley Davidson, Milwaukee Wisconsin

2023-road-glide-3-f89-motorcycle.jpg

Interesting that the RG3 is offered in twice as many colors as the Freewheeler. The blackout look dosnt bother me but chrome never goes out of style. Speaking of style- I remember using rattle can black as a 16 year old to paint my hand me down XLCH. I wrenched on that bike as much as I rode it. I pushed it into the school parking lot more times than rode it in seems. Saturdays were spent from before sunup to late afternoon getting it ready for my big date with Suzy Rottencrotch. Even to the point of extracting the carbon rod from a C battery and making brushes for the generator. Many may not know it but it was considered ok to ride a motorcycle to the Drive In movies. Usually grouped together in the back - it didnt matter what you rode. All kinds of debauchery could and usually did happen. Ah..memories.

Been super busy, so have not read all the threads on the RG 3, but have skimmed some of them. One thing I have not seen mentioned is the horrible ride quality of those low profile (short sidewall) tires. Look the same, or close, as the tires on the CVO TG's. We have done some riding on those, and they are bad.

I like the Sharknose, I think they did a good thing on offering that as an option, and they will do even better offering that at some point on the Tri Glide...but those tires are no good for hour after hour of riding.

Kevin

Has anyone done a comparison of the diameter of the 18 in. wheels and low profile tires and the regular tires and 15 in. wheels? I would be they are the same.

Has anyone done a comparison of the diameter of the 18 in. wheels and low profile tires and the regular tires and 15 in. wheels? I would be they are the same.

Yes, that is what I was referring to. The CVO Tri Glide and the RG3 both use the 18x7 wheels that result in the same (or very nearly the same) overall height as the regular tires and 15" wheels.

The difference is that there is very little sidewall on the tires on the 18" wheels. That lack of sidewall reduces the amount of flex and cushioning the tire provides compared to the 15" wheels with the Non low profile tires they use.

The reduction in ride quality is significant.

Kevin

Yes, that is what I was referring to. The CVO Tri Glide and the RG3 both use the 18x7 wheels that result in the same (or very nearly the same) overall height as the regular tires and 15" wheels. The difference is that there is very little sidewall on the tires on the 18" wheels. That lack of sidewall reduces the amount of flex and cushioning the tire provides compared to the 15" wheels with the Non low profile tires they use. The reduction in ride quality is significant. Kevin

You know I was having a hard time visualizing what you were talking about until I did a screen grab of the new Freewheeler and compared it to my '21 Free. Wow! What a difference. There's not really much tire there at all is there? Even I can see how that could impact ride quality.

21 Free.jpg23 Free.png

You know I was having a hard time visualizing what you were talking about until I did a screen grab of the new Freewheeler and compared it to my '21 Free. Wow! What a difference. There's not really much tire there at all is there? Even I can see how that could impact ride quality.

View attachment 111568View attachment 111569

Those low aspect ratio tires are expensive, ride hard, do not last long

Another thing to consider, who keeps them in stock? It would be a real ride ruined with a blow out and not able to find one on the road @ a dealer or aftermarket shop

Those low aspect ratio tires are expensive, ride hard, do not last long. Another thing to consider, who keeps them in stock? It would be a real ride ruined with a blow out and not able to find one on the road @ a dealer or aftermarket shop

What is HD thinking with this? I mean it does look cool. I love the wheels and all, BUT you do have to ride that thing, sometimes lots of miles in a day.

Those low aspect ratio tires are expensive, ride hard, do not last long

Another thing to consider, who keeps them in stock? It would be a real ride ruined with a blow out and not able to find one on the road @ a dealer or aftermarket shop

Another Thing that don't help the ride is that 1932 Servi Car Straight Axle. Thats Coming up on a 100Th anniversary for itself, Cant wait to celebrations.

Hahahaha! If it were me Id buy a spare wheel and tire and rig up a mount like the old timers did riding side hacks coast to coast on dirt roads before the Eisenhower interstate system.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png