Parasitic Battery Drain

Leaky Waders

40+ Posts
Dec 30, 2022
Houston, TX, USA
I have a 2019 GL1800 Tour DCT with a CSC conversion. Using a multimeter, I have isolated a 15A fuse labeled "AUDIO" as the source of a parasitic battery drain. Now that I know the source, generally speaking, how do I hone in on and correct the problem? TIA.

Paul

I have a 2019 GL1800 Tour DCT with a CSC conversion. Using a multimeter, I have isolated a 15A fuse labeled "AUDIO" as the source of a parasitic battery drain. Now that I know the source, generally speaking, how do I hone in on and correct the problem? TIA.

Paul

Does the radio have a clock ⏰…If so that’s a normal draw…

Ok…Back to more details…How old is the battery? ..

Have you checked the voltage on the battery a few minutes after you take it off of the maintainer or did you do a load test’ anything under 12.7 V it sounds like a bad cell and if so you need to replace that battery…

Have you checked the voltage on the battery a few minutes after you take it off of the maintainer or did you do a load test’ anything under 12.7 V it sounds like a bad cell and if so you need to replace that battery…

Yes to both questions. Battery is good. I also checked the ground and found no drop in voltage.

Alternator increases amp meter volt reading on start up.

If I park trike overnight off battery tender the battery is too weak to start it up.

Have you done a full charging system test to confirm it is working properly ?

A bad diode could quickly drain a battery over night

You say if you do not use a battery maintainer over night the battery is too weak to turn the engine over?

If that is true you have a bigger drain on the battery, the battery is shorted and does not hold a full charge, or the charging system is laying down, possibly bleeding diode robbing power

Pull the battery, charge it then have it load tested, do a charging system test and report your findings, just checking voltage @ the battery does not tell the whole story

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vencill

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vencill
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png