Dot 5 Brake Fluid

I use dot 5 in all my bikes. Have been since about 81. No more seized parts, no corrosion. I have a bike sat for 20 years. Still has brakes. So works for me. Always start with a clean system though.:)Just noticed you have a triglide. I wouldn't use it in a abs system.

Does anyone recommend or is using Dot 5 brake fluid? Does it last longer than Dot 4.

I see in your profile you have a `16 Tri-Glide, so you must use DOT4.

Dot 5 cannot be used in machines with ABS.

Always use the brake fluid spec. called out by the manufacturer of your machine.

Dot 4 and Dot 5 are incompatible.

Read your owners manual or Factory Service Manual.

What are your concerns with your brake fluid?

If you do a lot of high speed braking you can use Dot 5.1 with your system, but not any silicone based fluids

Dot 5.1 has a higher boiling point = less pedal fade

Despite all of this you still need to follow HD recommendations on how and when to service your system

Moisture in your system is the killer, gasses build up turning to moisture, your brakes start to fade, because the moisture overcomes the fluid

Look on the mater cylinder cap, it should be stamped Dot 4 fluid

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png