Group Riding-Trike

Short time owner of a 2014 Trike.Haven't done any group or poker runs yet.Just wondering if there is a preferred position within the group for a trike to ride.I would imagine at the rear,or does it even matter?

Short time owner of a 2014 Trike.Haven't done any group or poker runs yet.Just wondering if there is a preferred position within the group for a trike to ride.I would imagine at the rear,or does it even matter?

Hi PJ, thanks for your service, I would also think the rear position, My self I don't ride in groups.
I'm a loner, and a loner's got to be alone YAHHHH:AGGHH:.

BTW I gave the USAF 43 years, loved most of it ;).

I too prefer to ride alone - if someone were to tell me I have to ride in the back I'd be on my way in a different direction!
:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

I too prefer to ride alone - if someone were to tell me I have to ride in the back I'd be on my way in a different direction!
:cool:

P.S. Thank you BOTH for yor service, Pete USN

I usually don't care where I ride. Usually alone, but if in group, wherever others are most comfortable. I plan on a charity ride tomorrow. I'll see if it matters to anyone. Should be a massive group.

I ride at the rear and I mostly ride with 2 other Trike buddy's. Then we switch off when we make pit stops. I know with our local HOG group they ask for the trikes to be in the back. :Shrug: go figure.

I ride at the rear and I mostly ride with 2 other Trike buddy's. Then we switch off when we make pit stops. I know with our local HOG group they ask for the trikes to be in the back. :Shrug: go figure.

If I did ride with groups, I would think that riding at the rear would be the safest position.
I think riding side by side with folks who may not have the same ability as you might not be a good idea, their is always a weak link in any group :AGGHH:. I just would not enjoy riding and having to worry about a weak link, But, if spread out with the right distance I might think about it, ......I have seen some groups on the road that are far to close for me, not my thing ;).

I don't ride in a group very often, but when I do, where I ride in the group has never been an issue.

Every group I ride with rides staggered, so there is no issue there. When we pull up to a light or stop sign there is plenty of room for a TG and a 2 wheel bike to be side by side in the same lane.

There is one person I'll ride side by side with going down the interstate, and there is no issue with him being on his 2 wheeler and me on the TG in the same lane.

Kevin

Group leaders ask the trikes to ride in the rear so the can see if the group is together. They can't see past the trikes. They know what to look for in the last trike. If there is a problem the tail gunner drops out to help. When the leader can't see the last trike (tail gunner) he knows to stop. At least that's how it's done in the two groups I ride with. It's very easy for the leader to see the low hung driving lights on the trike at night. I ride in front of the tail gunner. If I see a 4 lane narrow to two coming, I drop out of line and block the other lane to prevent the cages from braking up the group. The only reason trike in the back is you cannot see past them

Group leaders ask the trikes to ride in the rear so the can see if the group is together. They can't see past the trikes. They know what to look for in the last trike. If there is a problem the tail gunner drops out to help. When the leader can't see the last trike (tail gunner) he knows to stop. At least that's how it's done in the two groups I ride with. It's very easy for the leader to see the low hung driving lights on the trike at night. I ride in front of the tail gunner. If I see a 4 lane narrow to two coming, I drop out of line and block the other lane to prevent the cages from braking up the group. The only reason trike in the back is you cannot see past them

That can get you a ticket

I have rode in many groups , and have pretty much rode in every position. Have not been ask to ride in rear of any and have never had any comments about my position as far as visuality. We do not ride side by side always staggered . At stop lights and such there is plenty of room for side by side as stated by another poster, ride courteously ! If vision is a problem for some I'm assuming their mirrors are not sufficient ! Ebert. My two cents

I have rode in many groups , and have pretty much rode in every position. Have not been ask to ride in rear of any and have never had any comments about my position as far as visuality. We do not ride side by side always staggered . At stop lights and such there is plenty of room for side by side as stated by another poster, ride courteously ! If vision is a problem for some I'm assuming their mirrors are not sufficient ! Ebert. My two cents

When you have 14-20 bikes in line there are visability issues.

I have ridden with the American Legion for years and the last 4 with a Trike.
If the group is Large; every 8 to 10 bikes comes a Trike. The Trike rides in the
rear if only 1 trike no matter what size the Group. Visibilty, and less chance
for any mistakes of any kind when going around dead critters or bad holes
in the road etc..... That is the Rules in this Group..:Coffee:

Hi PJ, YES there is a preferred position in a group and that is where YOU prefer to ride.;)

If you ride in a group and are told you HAVE to ride in a certain spot just because you are a trike, that is just wrong, but if the ride leader asks you to ride up front because you only have a few hours on your trike, that is good & correct.

If a ride leader tells me that I must ride in the back because he can't see around a trike, after I stopped laughing I would just leave & be thankful that I won't be near that ride leader!

Have fun with your new trike and ride safe, where you want to ride.:D

I fail to understand the adversion to riding in the back. Somebody's got to do it. Since I don't want the responsibility of leader I go where he wants me. We all get where we are going. Everybody's happy.

I have ridden with the American Legion for years and the last 4 with a Trike.
If the group is Large; every 8 to 10 bikes comes a Trike. The Trike rides in the
rear if only 1 trike no matter what size the Group. Visibilty, and less chance
for any mistakes of any kind when going around dead critters or bad holes
in the road etc..... That is the Rules in this Group..:Coffee:
So your Trike riders are treated like bastard step children ? :mad:

I fail to understand the adversion to riding in the back. Somebody's got to do it. Since I don't want the responsibility of leader I go where he wants me. We all get where we are going. Everybody's happy.

Most of the time I prefer to ride in back..whether I'm on 2 or 3 wheels. Most groups tend to ride faster in the straights and slow down in the curves. Riding in back lets me get some distance between myself and them, so when a curve comes up and they slow down, I can still accelerate thru the curve. :)

But again, I've never been told where to ride.

I just got back a couple of weeks ago from the Hot Bike Tour...about 300 bikes riding from Joplin, MO to Wisconsin Dells. There were 30 or so Trikes in the group and they were scattered throughout the group...never heard anyone complain & never had any visibility issue when they were in front or behind me. (on this ride I was on 2 wheels)

You can see the ride report, along with lots of pics and video's at this thread-

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/22489-Real-Time-Ride-Report-of-DK-Custom-Hot-Bike-Tour

Kevin

I've always ridden alone and as of present, I stall haven't ridden with a group. But if/or when I do, I'd prefer to ride in the back. At least in that manner, I can relax not worrying about the route and where to turn and I can also watch the bikes in front as to any thing to avoid on the road. Just my thoughts,,,.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png